SCROG question.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ilovegreen84, Jan 24, 2009.

1. I'm planning on setting up a scrog grow here pretty soon. I'm going to be placing the screen 8 inches from my plant and i will top it once (maybe twice). I'll be growing using the hempy bucket method, in a 3 gallon bucket (may use 2 gallon if it will grow shorter and not get root rot, asking _numb_ about it). This is going to be a stealth grow so room is limited, which brings me to my question. How far above the screen does a single plant typically grow?

I know there are many factors that can change the final height, such as, nutes, watering, strain, lighting, temp, humidity, air circulation, etc. I would like to grow Super Silver Haze in it but i want to make sure it won't either outgrow it's enviornment, or die because it doesn't have enough room.

2. Its all up to you as the grower if you don't train you will look at about three feet of growth past the screen. However if you train all through the first three weeks of flowering only looking at a couple of inches past the screen. most choose to fill the screen to 50-80 percent the switch to 12/12 continue filing the screen during this stretch faze lasts about three weeks into the 12/12...by then the screen should be filled aprox.... after this allow the remainder of the time to grow vertically..this will only be at the most six inches more like four. Now sit back and wait. How much room do you have? All strains are different a bushy indica two thumbs up..widow seems to work well or C-99..

3. I have about 3 feet vertically to work with and about 2-2.5 feet horizontally. If i topped it 3 weeks into veg and again another 2 weeks later, then bonsai'd it, would this be an effective technique for covering the screen and keeping it relatively short? Anybody know if SSH responds well to training or if it would be a bad plant choice?

4. #4 xshadowshooter, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
    I am doing a stealth SCroG right now and from what you have said it looks like you will have enough room (I have 3-1/4' of vertical space and that is much more than enough). One thing I will suggest is that if you're crunched for space you don't really need eight inches between the medium and the screen. I do fine with four, its a little harder to pull the branches back but I have smallish wrists and arms so it works for me. Also top it as soon as the third or fourth set of leaves shows (probably much before 3 weeks into veg) so you can direct the shoots to opposite sides of the screen early. Also, CFLs are really nice if you have limited room because you can put them an inch (or closer) to the plants.

Best of luck, fellow grower. SCroG is one of those amazing things.. you will wonder why people still grow their plants vertically.

5. Wow! nice thank your for the help and i will be using cfl's for this. Do you know if bonsai'ing the plant after you top it makes it grow shorter? and would it still grow up into the screen if you did this?

6. #6 sabre61fan, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
    I'm sorry but i don't really know what you mean when you say "bonsai'ing the plant". One you top your plant it will know have 2 main branches that should be the only trimming you do for now. some people do top one more time. The hight of your plant is only controlled by your screen. Fill it 50-60% and then switch to 12/12 and continue training until the stretching stops, now your buds will only grow 6-10" more above the screen, at this point I cut every branch, fan leaf, and bud site off that is more then an inch below the screen.

GL
    Sabre

7. Yeah i'm not sure if it's an actual word but it's bonsai training which makes your plant grow out width wise, then grow up towards the light. So basically you have a small bush. I guess my last question is, can you SCROG a plant while using the bonzai training? or would SCROG be unnecassary due to the bonsai.