Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Screens...?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mhall90, Jan 22, 2009.

1. First off, hello everyone. As a forewarning, I am high as fuuck but I will try my best to make sense and be coherent. I've been smoking for 9 months, but I am new to the community and this is my first post. :)

So I am wondering about screens, and I have some questions for you.

1. Are you supposed to use a screen with a bong? I never would have thought that I was supposed to use a screen with a bong, but I saw a pic of someone else's, and I could see the screen in there. (I don't have a bong yet, but I picked one out and I'm going to order it)

2. Are you supposed to change, replace, or clean the screens? There is a screen in the metal pipe that I have been smoking in and of course it is really dirty. I'm not sure if I am going to need to clean it or anything. I just remembered something...I have been forgetting to blow out through the pipe after a bowl, before packing a new one. Damn, maybe that is why my last bowl was whack.

3. Cutting the screens? Alright, well I'm sure this is something that would require some common sense rather than an answer, but I might as well ask anyways. When my husband had placed the screens into place in the pipe, I remember he cut them. Do I have to, and how do I know HOW to cut it? I know he would know cuz he is the biggest stoner I have ever met, but he hasn't been able to smoke in over a year and a half because of his job...but I;m not sure what I would do to fit the screens and put them into place.

Oh, this is unrelated, :smoke:, but I was wondering, I keep seeing the term "pipe" and "spoon"...I call them bowls but on this website, I went in the bowls section, and that is not what it looked like.
    can a regular pipe and spoon be called a bowl or no? (basically are the words interchangeable?)
    ok, i THINK that was my full question about bowls.

Hey, why is it called 'toking'? where did that word come from?

(well, can't say I didn't warn ya) :smoking: Thanks

2. You replace screens after a while, It will have resin(tar) on it that you can smoke off of the screen. A screen is not necessary on a bong but to each his own. Also a "spoon" is a type of pipe that is named after its spoon-like shape and pipe is a more general term that could apply to a spoon, sherlock, sidecar, hammer, bubbler, etc.
    -Hope that helped

3. You definitely need to clean/replace your screens. Most bongs don't have screens, at least that I've seen. It's a preference thing really. Personally, I think screens improve the smoking experience but not enough to warrant constantly cleaning/replacing them.

4. #4 Acid Raindrops, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
    1) No, if you are sucking big pieces through down into the water you might want a screen so you arn't wasting weed. Or a glass gauze. If not, then no.

2) A cleaning doesn't hurt.. More air flow of course the little holes in the screen are going to get clogged with resi.. Or just replace it, they are really cheap anyway.

3) You don't have to, he probably just did it so it would fit better. I usually just push and bend it down there so it fits nice and tight even though the screen is going up the side of the bowl a little bit. A scissors will do fine, it's really light material. Just see if you can get it to fit without, if not cut a tiny bit around the outside try again and go from there.

Mostly common sense.

Spoons is the actual name, a lot of people call spoons bowls yes.

5. 1. You can use a screen with a bong if you want or you can just pack it in there so none gets sucked through.

2. If your screen is really dirty it could be a good idea to change it, no need cleaning it they are damn cheap.

3. I've never cut my screens I usually just ram them in there, but if you want you could cut them so they fit the bowl better.

4. Pipe and spoon are the same thing, you could call a pipe a bowl ( since it has a bowl), but you could also call a bong or a bubbler a bowl, since they have bowls as well. All in all it doesn't matter that much people will probably get what you mean no matter which you choose to say.

6. Hey Mhall,

Welcome to the wonderfull world of cannabis! I'm almost at a year of smoking. My wife is my smoking buddy and she is particular about little bits of "stuff" getting in her mouth, so I always use a screen on her pipe bowl, the bowl from our cheap plastic water bong and on my Bukkett bong.

The screens come in three different sizes: small, medium, and large. You can get them at any local head shop or maybe a fine tobacco store that sells pipe smoking tobacco. You can cut them to fit, but it is easier to get a size that is close and just push it down into the bowl. They make a cheap thingy called a pipe nail that has a flat disk attached to it just for that purpose.

I like to clean the screens once before tossing them. I use a roach clip and just light it on fire with my lighter, let it cool and then flick the crap off of it and blow through the screen. It does'nt have to be perfecty clean to work.

Some pipes have little holes that dont need screens, like a one hitter or spoon, but the user must take care not to suck the weed right through the hole.

Cool to see another married stoner!

7. Hey so how would I smoke the resin out of my screen?

(that is another thing that he did...he lit the bottom of either the pipe or bowl to heat it up...but is that what I would do to smoke the resin from my screen, or do I have to take it out and scrape it or what?)

8. Yea you don't always need a screen, but it helps from sucking green into the piece a lot of times.

I use glass screens in just about every pipe/bong I own. The only way to go when it comes to screens IMO. They are like 50 cents a pop at the local headshops around here, and you can get them in either a jack shape or flower shape, both coming in a small size and larger size.

The main reasons I prefer glass screens are:

1. Easy to use. Just drop in and pack a bowl on top of it. After a bowl or two they will stay put like a metal screen, even when ashing the bowl. No more dealing with stubborn screens that don't want to stay put in the bowl.

2. Reusable. When I take one out, I simply scrape what i can, then throw it in a ziploc bag with some formula 420 when i'm cleaning my pieces and it comes out looking brand new. Never have to worry about running out of screens.

So if you haven't tried glass screens, I HIGHLY suggest them. I usually pick up two with any new piece I buy, so I have plenty of extras in case I was to lose one. :smoke:

Sorry for the long post hope it helps some, lol

9. they sell glass screens which are just an odd little flower looking pebble of glass that you pop in ur bowlpiece, they work nice.

metal screens if you dont have a replacement just pop urs out and rinse it out so you can see through it ok.

10. ok if its glass it most likely needs no screen and if u do it shud be a glass screen. with a metal pipes and screen u need a metal screen and u shudnt cut it get the pipe size not huge size lol and umm u need to replace screens not clean them there like a dollar for 6. u un screw the metal bowl part take a paperclip and push the screen out then put a new one in and ur last pipe wasnt broke it needed to have a new screen

11. I use a screen in a my bong and bowl. The bowl because I don't like to eat charred weed, and the bong because it keeps it a little cleaner while saving a tiny amount of buds.