Scottys hydro adventure in association with Dutch Passion

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Spanish@rcher, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Good aftermornevenoon ladies and gentlemen of all time zones.
    I welcome you to my first GC grow journal :)
    The wonderful guys at Dutch Passion kindly offered to stump up the seeds for my latest grow so i plan to show them off as best i can.

As the title suggests, my name is Scotty (previously of an auto forum) and i am a hydro grower.
    I usually stick to single plant NFT growing but ive got waay too many seeds now so gonna expand my vocabulary and do some coco plants aswell.

Line up consists of-

Dutch passion-
    Ultimate
    Auto Ultimate
    The edge
    Glueberry
    Passion Fruit

Dinafem-
    Auto Critical 2.0

Seedsman-
    Jack Herrer

Ive grown the ultimate and a/u before and gotta say, the photo version is a lot stronger. The difference is night and day..
    Want some variation this time though so i'll do both and everything else.

Havent finalised my grow gear yet so ill update this bit in a week or so.

Got no idea how these pics will turn out as my first time journaling here but i start in root riots, then transplant to 4 inch rockwools. All the while under a single 130w, 14K, big bulb CFL.
    The 14K is an awesome bulb for starting seedlings and root development but fuck all use for anything else lol. It does however carry the advantage for air pruning which results in a massively over sized root mass and growth so explosive it literally just about blows the plant in half when i turn the resevoirs on.
    (You'll see it soon enough)

In the rr for a week or so untill i have about 15 tap roots then into the rockwools for another week or so untill there are 30+ tap roots. Once im happy il transplant again into the final media.
    I give my autos and photos the axact same treatment and so far the autos have out performed the photo version.
    I top, LST and generally abuse the shit out of everything i grow so we should be in for a good show folks.
    Grab some popcorn, pull up a pew and get ready for some monster buds with an indepth description for anyone looking to learn hydro.
    If you have any questions, suggestions or just want to say hi then please do so.
    Constructive critisism will always be appreciated. :)

20180409_215756.jpg 20180409_214636.jpg 20180413_201951.jpg 20180413_202002.jpg

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Getting my chair now growing some Dutch passion strawberry cough right now!!!

3. Aww mate ive not had that since i was bairn. Does actually taste like strawberries when you cough. It was on my short list but i couldnt decide so just told the rep to pick for me. I had nightqueen aswell but gave em to my mate as im not a big indica fan and it was one of the strongest smokes ive ever had. Absolute day wrecker that one lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Well that didnt take long :) about 60 hours in the root riots and everyones popped. Couple havent quite broke the surface yet but theyll be up today. All taprooted aswell.
    No fannying about at this point, just regular scottish tap water @ 60ppm ph7.4
    Light gets kept at 15cm from the highest tip untill im happy with the roots. This stops any stretch and keeps em nice and even which will come in handy when i start training.
    The key here is to keep the root riots moist but not soaking. Use a wee spray bottle twice a day.
    Too wet and the roots get lazy, too dry and they'll frazzle.
    Ill start some light nutes tomorrow once theyve had a chance to adjust to life outside the shell.
    I dont use a fan or worry about temps/humidity while theyre rooting up.
    Its about 20*c in the cupboard and humidity about 40% wich isnt ideal for growth but im only interested in the roots for the next 2 weeks so it doesnt make a difference.
    Well thats about it for now. Be back tomorrow once ive been out for nutrients 20180414_084559.jpg 20180414_084547.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Spanish@rcher, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Right, thats the veg nutes all sorted :)
    During the rooting up phase i only use the take root and ionic grow at 1ml/L each. Works out at bang on 100ppm.

I grow with leds so need calmag. That one has added iron and nitrogen so a lot of people avoid it but i think it makes life easier.

The liquid scilicone there is a wonderful additive if your doing LST. It basically turns the plant into rubber. Wicked stuff. Really alkaline though so gotta ph the mix afterwards. Burns like fuck if you get it on your skin too lol.

The ionic is a one part grow that contains all of the above which ill be using for the coco plants aswell as the seedlings.
    The NFT plants will be dutch pro with all the extras. Still got a few more things to get.
    The sm90 is for keeping the res clean. Stops any gunk building up and helps promote root growth.
    For checking the nutes ive got a cheapy amazon ppm metre and its still spot on after a year and never been calibrated.
    The ph metre is from essentials. Cost about £50 for that one after i went through a few cheapys. Also never been calibrated and still spot on after 2 grows :) 20180415_160042.jpg 20180415_160105.jpg

6. Well everyones happy, healthy and rooting up nicely. Most of em got around 15 tap roots now so ill start cleaning the rockwools tonight and get them transplanted in a couple days once theyre clean.
    I soak the rockwools in ph 7.5 tap water for 2-3 days. Changing the water every morning and night. Once the ph stays the same i know theyre clean. Then give them a final soak for a few hours in 100ppm nutes at 5.7.
    Soak them too long in a low ph and the cubes will start to deteriorate. They become more dense and wont root up aswell.
    See a lot of people not cleaning them properly and stunting their plants or getting poor root development which often leads to other problems so figured i might aswell explain that bit properly.
    Getting everything spot on from the start makes a massive impact on how well the grow goes.
    Keep the nutes to a bare minimum aswell as seedlings really do need next to nothing. 20180417_234644.jpg Screenshot_20180417-215612.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well this is going well thankfully :)
    Some of them got around 100 tap roots now. Most of em around the 50 mark.
    As expected the ultimate is doing best so far. Thats the one in the pic. The dinafem auto is about the same so she's definately gonna be a belter.
    Cubes have been soaked in 250ppm veg and root boost at ph 6.3. Bit high than i wanted as obviously still a little bit shit left on the cubes but it wont do any harm. Gonna let em sit in their rockwools for a week now. Feed them the same solution at ph 6 with a spray bottle for the time being.
    Keep them moist but not soaking and the roots will burst through in no time :)
    Well thats it for now ill be back in a week once theyre ready to transplant and hopefully ill have the grow room built by then lol 20180421_093338.jpg 20180421_093730.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ahh good thinkin batman. Ill go see if i can figure out how to drop a link

9. I'll follow the thread, very much looking forward to seeing how dutch passion perform. Was gonna cop some lemon zkittles yesterday but it ran out of stock just as I was about to. They seems like a really quality company.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dutch passion are awesome. I emailed them looking for strain suggestions with a link to my previous grow and they sent me 5 x 3 packs on the house!
    So far ive done the ultimate, auto ultimate twice and my mate done the night queen. All been awesome smokes and a pound per plant.
    Havent decided which 2 will get the spotlight positions in the nft res' yet. Really want one of them to be the passion fruit but its gonna be whoevers looking best at transplant day.
    Lemon skittles sounds awesome! Love fruity strains. Im not big on facemelters, id much rather smoke something that tastes nice than one that makes me start lickin windows.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah boy that's fair enough. That's really good of them too considering a lot of seedbanks wouldn't touch that kind of email with a barge pole from what I understand lmao. The only reason I'm into high thc strains is because I love making all kinds of hash extracts but obviously in very small batches. I want a bunch of tasty high THC weed that I know I wont reasonably be able to smoke on my own to press into a bunch of rosin. I reckon for your NFT it'll be between the edge, glueberry, passion fruit and the ultimate depending on what picks up and what you're into- it would definitely be between those for me, though. Are you chucking the ones that don't make it into the NFT?

12. Whoevers roots are looking best gets the nft res. It really is an awesome system like. Turns any plant into a monster. Unlimited root space, unlimited oxygen and can run the res up to 31*c before i need to start worrying.
    That dp night queen is one of the strongest things ive ever smoked! If thc is what your after you cant go wrong. Pure indica afghan kush. Was trippin donuts for about 3 hours after a spliff. Absolute day wrecker that stuff lol.
    My email technique also worked with dinafem. Just dropped a casual link to show what i do and pointed out that i need strains capeable of handling how i grow and they sent me 2 x 5 packs of white widdow xxl and critical 2.0
    Got the seeds mixed up though so not sure which one ive got there lol.
    Gonna try my luck with some nutrient companies next, providing this grow goes well :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'd love a hydro setup but I literally don't have the space right now. I've tried DWC before but I ended up getting root rot both times and just decided to go with soil for my first grow lol. I'll give night queen a go though eventually I'm gonna have so many fucking seeds when my 4/20 order arrives. Which nutrient companies were you thinking of hitting up?

• Like Like x 1
  14. tutankhamun by pyramid seeds

Pineapplechunk by barneys there ment to be very potent

tutankhamun is hit 35% thc

You may wanna grow something like cbd haze from dutch passion to put with the high thc to negate the negitive effects from thc

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  15. If ya getting root rot if ya ever try dwc again add extra air and get a wooden block the wooden block create smaller air bubbles giving you more air surface area.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I will I'm just dabbling (excuse the pun) with concentrates rn and I prefer potent flower because it lasts me longer meaning less money to dealers hopefully. I think with my current setup I could probably give myself more weed than I know what to do with, and that's when I'm gonna start fucking with CBD flowers but that could still be a while away if it's even possible w/ my setup. Number one goal right now is not having to spend money on bud lol. Also with the DWC I will do if I ever give it another grow. I can't do it right now because the air pumps make me proper paranoid considering how close they are to people

• Like Like x 1
  17. I done cbd skunk haze was high yeilding and still got me stoned but no negitive effects from thc was a lovely looking plant the pheno i had had a branch branch that had fasination which was interesting. Heres a pic i took from my insta Screenshot_20180421-154827.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. When growing hydro you need to use sm-90 or a similar product to prevent the root rot. 100% stops any nasty shit growing in the res, can be used instead of root boost and also works as a spray to kill certain pests :)
    Best 20 quid i ever spent :)
    Ive been using dutch pro nutes for the last year and after this ill have 3 fully documented grows with them so they'll be my first attempt.
    I usually just grow 1 plant at a time which ends up drinking 15L+ per day from week 4 so i spend a terrifying amount on nutrients. Need to get a sponsor soon like, it breaks my heart every time i need to restock. Reckon ill be using around 60L per day for this one, my bank cards already went into hiding lol

19. #20 Spanish@rcher, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Just to give a little sneak peak into what to expect,
    Heres my last plant.
    Day 1 in the NFT then what happend 60 days later!
    I only vegged her for 5 weeks then flipped and filled a 1.5 sqm tent. that photo is 2-3 weeks after the flip but only 55-60 days from the first photo.
    Fuckin love my gt205 NFT system like.
    Easy to use and has sooo many advantages over dwc. The growth rates are absolutely mental :) tapatalk_1524331818846.jpeg tapatalk_1524331863486.jpeg