science

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Dead Beat, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Science, thou art the great magician! Thou alone performest the true miracles. Thou alone workest the real wonders. Fire is thy servant, lightning thy messenger. The waves obey thee, and thou knowest the circuits of the wind. Thou art the great philanthropist. Thou hast freed the slave and civilized the master. Thou hast taught man to chain, not his fellow-man, but the forces of nature--forces that have no backs to be scarred, no limbs for chains to chill and eat--forces that never know fatigue, that shed no tears--forces that have no hearts to break. Thou gavest man the plow, the reaper and the loom--thou hast fed and clothed the world. Thou art the great physician. Thy touch hath given sight. Thou hast made the lame to leap, the dumb to speak, and in the pallid cheek thy hand hath set the rose of health. "Thou hast given thy beloved sleep"--a sleep that wraps in happy dreams the throbbing nerves of pain. Thou art the perpetual providence of man-- preserver of life and love. Thou art the teacher of every virtue, and the enemy of every vice. Thou has discovered the true basis of morals-- the origin and office of conscience--and hast revealed the nature and measure of obligation. Thou hast taught that love is justice in its highest form, and that even self-love, guided by wisdom, embraces with loving arms the human race. Thou hast slain the monsters of the past. Thou hast discovered the one inspired book. Thou hast read the records of the rocks, written by wind and wave, by frost and flame--records that even priestcraft cannot change--and in thy wondrous scales thou hast weighed the atoms and the stars.
    ingersoll

2. Thou hast been confused.

3. "We cannot depend on what are called "inspired books," or the religions of the world. These religions are based on the supernatural, and according to them we are under obligation to worship and obey some supernatural being, or beings. All these religions are inconsistent with intellectual liberty. They are the enemies of thought, of investigation, of mental honesty. They destroy the manliness of man. They promise eternal rewards for belief, for credulity, for what they call faith."

4. There's a science section for a reason.

5. [quote name='"Dead Beat"']
    "We cannot depend on what are called "inspired books," or the religions of the world. These religions are based on the supernatural, and according to them we are under obligation to worship and obey some supernatural being, or beings. All these religions are inconsistent with intellectual liberty. They are the enemies of thought, of investigation, of mental honesty. They destroy the manliness of man. They promise eternal rewards for belief, for credulity, for what they call faith."[/quote]

Cool generalize. That always shows the correct picture

6. Plenty of spiritual believers have furthered science, their are religions that arent based through fear, and don't seem so irrational.

7. Exactly.

Evangelical atheists don't seem to understand that there is a whole spiritual world outside of fundamentalist Christianity and Islam.

8. i have no clue what is going on in here:confused:

9. Meh most do and still disagree.

10. Why didn't i post in the science section because it is related to religion I tell you why "Each nation has created a god, and the god has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved, and he was invariably found on the side of those in power. Each god was intensely patriotic, and detested all nations but his own. All these gods demanded praise, flattery, and worship. Most of them were pleased with sacrifice, and the smell of innocent blood has ever been considered a divine perfume. All these gods have insisted upon having a vast number of priests, and the priests have always insisted upon being supported by the people, and the principal business of these priests has been to boast about their god, and to insist that he could easily vanquish all the other gods put together.

11. I tell you, "The doctrine of eternal punishment is in perfect harmony with the savagery of the men who made the orthodox creeds. It is in harmony with torture, with flaying alive and with burnings. The men who burned their fellow-men for a moment, believed that God would burn his enemies forever.

No civilized men ever believed in this dogma. The belief in eternal punishment has driven millions from the church. It was easy enough for people to imagine that the children of others had gone to hell; that foreigners had been doomed to eternal pain; but when it was brought home when fathers and mothers bent above their dead who had died in their sins -- when wives shed their tears on the faces of husbands who had been born but once -- love suggested doubts and love fought the dogma of eternal revenge

12. [quote name='"Dead Beat"']
    I tell you, "The doctrine of eternal punishment is in perfect harmony with the savagery of the men who made the orthodox creeds. It is in harmony with torture, with flaying alive and with burnings. The men who burned their fellow-men for a moment, believed that God would burn his enemies forever.

No civilized men ever believed in this dogma. The belief in eternal punishment has driven millions from the church. It was easy enough for people to imagine that the children of others had gone to hell; that foreigners had been doomed to eternal pain; but when it was brought home when fathers and mothers bent above their dead who had died in their sins -- when wives shed their tears on the faces of husbands who had been born but once -- love suggested doubts and love fought the dogma of eternal revenge[/quote]

What is the point?

13. I like how you put that into word. science is defined in a various ways. but the bottom line is that it explains many things. maybe no the religions yet. but i think science will be the only thing that can save human race. below is an article which describes what science really is, looking forward to feebacks

http://www.worldtransformation.com/what-is-science/

14. I like you bring back a 5-month old pointless thread.

15. Some parts of this quote are brilliant. To me anyway. :smoking: