SCIENCE VS RELIGION! Bring your best argument.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by mountainghost, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Materialism is probably more accurate than theism.

2. Am I implying that I am better then you or more logical then you? No, you are interpreting it as that.

Uh how did you pull that out of thin air? I wonder how you could even relate the two? One is talking about logic, the other is saying if you can't name it, well fuck it most not be real then!
    ^--example of logic lacking.

I'm not even saying that I'm better then you in anyway man, you are interpreting it as that. I'm just pointing our your flaws in logic, brahmin.

3. Chinas population is going to drop here real soon. Since families can only have one child, and they all want boys. Yeah....

Edit: No I don't have a link or proof. In on my phone and too lazy to try and look it up. It's called google for those of you who want it.

4. bcbudzz
    yes. t h e o r e t i c a l physics.
    You do not know me, yet you paint a charicature of what you think I am. This is not reasonable.

p.s. I love physics and the contributions to everyday life its formulae bring. Mathematics in and of itself is a perfect language. I do follow the evolution theory. Currently, I am most interested to hear the latest from the LHC at CERN. I have an interest in the new physics being discovered above 3.5 TeV. The ATLAS experiment is riveting. They are supposedly zeroing in on an energy level that shows some new physics, maybe even the Higgs boson.

What level of understanding must I have to not be considered “brainwashed”?

5. I dont see how you can seen to show so much interest in that stuff yet in the same breathe u say for certain that science will never proove how the universe was created. It seems ignorant for say they know its not possible.

6. In my opinion a brainwashed person would be someone who believes in things that are not proovable without any evidence to back up their beliefs.

I dont claim to know anything for certain unless it can be prooven. Thats where i stand and sofar science is doing a better job of prooving things to me then christianity ever has. If one day a christian can proove to me that there is a creator who watches over us then great! That would be awesome! But.....im not gonna hold my breathe on that one

7. Science flies men to the moon.

Religion flies men into the World Trade Center.

/Argument.

8. Science demands proof

Religion demands faith

9. i think the fact that religion is based on the god and not satan is proof enough that Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc etc is all wrong.

10. bcbudzz
    I have given you my reasoning (post#195) as to why IMHO science will never be able to prove how the universe was created. I will re-state it for you. I do not need physics, math, or science to deduce that our understanding of this universe will not translate to the existential causality of the creation. We cannot escape the creation in order to prove the truth. I never said “They” know it is not possible. I am sure you and some of the great minds in physics believe proof is possible, but I don’t think my differing opinion is born of ignorance.
    Be careful of what you define as brainwashed. Currently, and this may change, there is no observable proof of life anywhere in the universe other than the Earth. Your definition would suggest if you believe there is, you are brainwashed. You have no proof that science will lead you to the ultimate truth of the universe, yet you obviously cling to that position, is that the result of brainwashing?
    You evidently want to focus on the teachings of Christianity. I will not defend a religion, and I will not senselessly bash it either. I give deserved respect, but chart my own deduction based theistic faith.
    As far as holding your breath; If you hold it long enough, science tells us that you will find the truth of the creation. Have complete faith in science, or bring reasoning to your diatribes.

11. Religion is absolute, science is open to change.

End of story, case closed.

12. Science complements religion and vice versa; this of course only being the case for the religions that aren't full of nut jobs.

13. ^^
    And visa-versa. ie. weapons grade bacterias/viruses, nuclear weapons, etc ...

14. Zcraggratt
    I do not believe it is possible to say what science will be capable of telling us in the future but i remain optimistic that it will answer many questions for our future generations. 100 yrs ago people would have never imagined any of the technologies we enjoy today and that is in a period of merely 100 yrs. If humans are capable of surviving the constant harm we put our world thru for the next say 500yrs the possibilities are endless asfar as what science can do for us.
    I guess i just feel like the origins of our existence are such a major part of human evolution that its important to find definitive answers to these questions regardless of what those answers are. I think in a perfect world these questions would have answers and we wouldnt have as much division throughout the world and thus we could advance together as a team. As it is now i see a very divided team with alot of infighting throughout the world which is a major cause of caos and an enemy of evolution.
    Regardless of what these answers may be i hope one day the world will accept whatever these answers may be and we can move forward with the common goal of human survival otherwise i see a species on the verge of becoming extinct

15. In a fight between science and religion, religion wins every time. Religion has Buddah, Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Shiva, Satan.....Science has Einstein, Alexander Graham Bell, Edison, Tesla, the guy in the wheel chair, what's his name, Hawkins......

The only weakness that Religion has is Mohammed, cause he'll kill all the other religious dudes before the game even starts.

16. bcbudzz
    I share the belief that science will provide many things for future humanity if human nature does not kill its host first. It is a wonderful tool. One of the things it provides is the freedom from the toil of survival, so that deeper contemplation can be explored, such as what we are doing now. It also gives us very good weed.
    I am 99.99% sure that I will not be able to witness the science of 2511 A.D. I am sure it would be astounding. However, I maintain that the scientific method as we know it, will not be able to verify any theory of creations existential causality. We do not have the information in this cosmos to build the experiment, only the remnants and 7.5TeV of energy to make more remnants.
    Creationism to support purpose does not require tedious knowledge, only wisdom. Our existence is either the means to the ends, the ends to the means, or detritus of a more primary and purposeful existence. Functionally important, or byproduct … choose your moral base.

Peace.

17. [quote name='"brody15"']In a fight between science and religion, religion wins every time. Religion has Buddah, Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Shiva, Satan.....Science has Einstein, Alexander Graham Bell, Edison, Tesla, the guy in the wheel chair, what's his name, Hawkins......

The only weakness that Religion has is Mohammed, cause he'll kill all the other religious dudes before the game even starts.[/quote]

Solid.

18. What sciences there exist now because of progress may be used evilly, but that is the condition of the human to perceive the judgement that he/she deems best for he/she at the time. Science supports religion because science benefits society even though there are some who choose to use it in an evil way. Are there not other, less scientific things that people choose to use wrongly? It is not about the degree to which the evil occurs, but about the human who makes the choice to commit the evil.

19. So we deem science inherently good, even though we acknowledge intentions go both ways? Evil can only get so powerful before it becomes detrimental to survival.

20. I can blow stuff up with science. All religion does is tell you what to do (gimme yo's tithes because THEN God will love you!) Lulz....religion