Science vs Faith

Discussion in 'Grasscity Forum Humor' started by Perpetual Burn, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Oh, so it's funny that I won't pretend to live in a relative Universe? I won't pretend to be an Armadillo either... is that funny aswell?

Hey, since you have some sort of a relationship with "The Creator," could you please, please, please tell him to come talk to me? Seriously, I beg of you to ask him to reveal himself to me! I would dedicate my entire life to whatever cause he so desires if he simply shows himself and allowed me to understand his goals for this Universe and my place in it.

What kind of time frame am I looking at till his revelation into my life?

2. I will answer that question but I don't believe you will listen. I have asked that of The Creator and He never appeared in a tangeable form, yet I still believe in The Creator, just not as a being able to interact with us in tangeable form. I hear a voice in my head that I know is more intellegent than me, that gives me an explanation that I can accept about why He never showed up. I'm sure it would be a lot cushier to just stop believing, but this voice makes a lot of sense. So much sense that I cannot deny the existance of The Creator. This may just be for me and I understand and accept it- but it IS happening to me.

The Creator is within us all, He is all around us. He doesn't manifest because He is a part of us and we demanded to be mortal and in control of our lives. Here we are our own boss, we do what we will with our lives with nobody ruling us. He does it for us, and it's only because we demanded it. Energy is all there is (or God is all there is) so all-powerful energy is related to a spark. For Him to manifest would be a direct violation to our demands as higher beings. We always get what we want (the reason is because we are God, all there is)- that's why being careful what you wish for is important.

I know I sound crazy to someone who hasn't witnessed what I have; but I can at least prove that we are part of all there is and because we cannot seperate from all power, all power is apart of us. Physics is the greatest proof for The Creator I have.

I'm sure you would- and knowing that He has shown Himself to me as pure knowledge and understanding, showing me the goal of the universe was the universe, and my place in it was absolute- I dedicate my entire life to His cause of love, forgiveness and understanding- at showing the wonder of the imagination and our culture.

However I am not a normal believer by any means, (I believe all understanding is part of the truth) I don't think the good side of God (The Creator) is the only side of God. I believe God is all things, including you. You are God in disguise to me.

3. Hey, I'd listen to you, man. We all would. And apparently, you've got something to say...

Weird how we've almost got the same view on this Universe... yet only one of us finds the flow chart to be "disrespectful and annoying." The only way I can see that being a possibility is if you are a self-identified member of one of the targeted cults in the flow chart.

A proper rebuttal to the flow chart given your views on it would be to point out some sort of inconsistency in the flow chart regarding faithful religious beliefs. To simply blurt out an unfounded opinion isn't going to do anything to champion your cause. It really seems to me that you took personal offense to the flow chart rather than a stance of genuine disagreement.

4. OK, maybe I just wanted to say I didn't like it and didn't want to go into details right away. But I have explained why I said that. It was not the content of the thread but the way it was presented that bothered me. That is all.

Faith is sacred to me, you can say it isn't logical- but to mock it is a different story. I'm the same way about science. I don't like people to mock science.

I will post in that thread though, I just want it to be good :)

5. Look at what you did to this thread. Shame on you. In the HUMOR forum, even. Guarantee if a mod saw this it'd either be closed or moved to S&P cuz of you...

For shame, shitting on a thread like that.

[​IMG]

6. Well, faith doesn't need to be mocked... but in my opinion, religious faith (which was the real target in the flow chart) does. People can mock science all they want, but you'll never catch an evolutionary biologist get offended by Creationist philosophy... simply amused. It's the fact that religious people get so upset when you question their idealogies and accounts for how this Universe came to be, that I feel they must be challenged because their anger is a result of frustration... frustration in that they have no logical objective way to justify their beliefs.

I like where you're going with your ideas on God/the Universe, but I think they could be more refined... as could mine. I'm looking forward to that discussion.

I think through proper discussion and debate that theists and non-theists could come to a unanimous goal for our species. Unfortunately, it's going to take a lot more compromise from the religious who are much more opposed to it.

7. So you are against radical belief systems, not mearly faith? That I understand, and might have laughed at something mocking radical beliefs (which I would classify as anything you have to force on others- anything that supposedly applies to everyone is a radical belief to me) If it wasn't for the evidence contained in science I would classify it a radical belief.

The laws of physics don't make any rules, they don't care about our lives, and they certainly doesn't send you to hell if you don't believe in them. I understand why people love science. But that doesn't mean through science you can't have a relationship with God- it's not that God dissappears when science is applied... I really think what people are missing is that God and science are very connected to each other, because the power of God would be a science in every sense of the word.

I'll really think about my post on the nature of The Creator and my personal accounts and conversations with what I believe is a subjective form of Him (the voice inside your head), I've just been all over the place lately.

8. This argument could go for days. But seriously when you look at how complex the world is, it takes faith to believe it all came about by chance. Lets get real. Sure i cannot see God but its like something thats just there. Kinda like saying that theres nothing to being madly in love with a girl.

Also how does life come to be by chance. If it can then how come no one can do it today with a little water, dirt and air???? Also how did life branch off into soooo many parts. Think about it if something was having sex to exist and we all have a common ancestor then why is ther billions of plants and animals that can no longer breed together. Because these plants and animals would still have to breed together to keep going. Try to breed a dog to a cat. Yet science says we have the same ancestors??? We would have the same DNA right???

9. I don't believe I've ever seen a person show as much naivety and ignorance about biology, or science in general, on these forums. Ever. I'll let someone with more patience handle this.

10. No! :p

Perpetual Burn explained it rather well. :)

11. LOL come on LT you gotta be kiddin me in the scientific sense you are as sure as possible?

So in the scientific sense, this branch of knowledge that is science is actually only as sure as possible about what it knows? Man, I throw in the towel.

That's a leap of faith right there to believe in 99.99% sure, how can you argue with that?

What is sure about this universe? Nothing??? :(

Then why the hell are we arguing about what may or may not be the truth??? Because it SOUNDS better???

I am starting to wonder what I should believe anymore...

12. Dude, dont let anyone shake the foundation of what you believe. Continue on the path to your own enlightenment by finding out whats in YOUR mind and what YOU believe to be true.

13. Thanks a lot for that man, that means a lot to me! It's just me shaking the foundation man, I don't know what to believe because neither is sure of itself. Science has no heart to me and faith has no form I can express. It's been making me miserable lately... I don't know if I'm in control or being controlled sometimes. Just when I think I've got it figured out I'm back to square one, wondering who the fuck I really am and what this is all about.

Maybe that's the answer though... Maybe it is my mission to find questions, to not know and then figure it out. It just seems like a wall so high I can't see the top, with a smooth surface and I'm told I have to go over it. I don't know where to turn sometimes, every time I turn to God but God won't change it, only be there for me.

It's just so strange, I wonder why God has done this to Himself. Why not the best for Himself, the Almighty? I guess I'm going to find out one day, but some days it seems like God sent Himself to Hell by accident and has to claw His way back to Heaven. I don't know what to think because I can't deny what I saw and experienced of our power. All I can do is wonder why it's limited to a point that I can't control anything but this body and what it can manipulate. Why no escape hatch except for suicide? Isn't that a little extreme??? Is it really because God is subject to chance as much as we are? Then how is it God? I just don't know what the fuck to think anymore, it's all so mixed up.

I really appreciate the board for allowing me to vent about these things. I don't care if nobody reads this, just that I have a place I feel I can express it. Thank you all. :)

Been having some bad days...

14. The path to enlightenment isnt a short one.

I think everyone feels the same way that you do at certain points in their lives. Sometimes I feel like im driving myself crazy trying to find the answers to certain questions I have, other times I enjoy the challenge. Either way, its all part of the ride man....enjoy it.:hippie:

15. That is kind of the point man. I am as certain as I possibly can be, which when you get right down to technicalities of it, is not fully certain. Why? Because of a nice little saying I am fond of... Nothing is impossible, only improbable. However, you can sit on a fence and hum all day long that you cannot know anything at all, at the end of the day you will be wrong. Because you can know something, evidence and reason and repeatable experiments can go a long way to show you what is fact and what is not. Of course, it always comes back to the "nothing is impossible, only improbable" bit. What goes up must come down... Though it is not impossible for something to go up and stay up forever. Understand?

There is a difference between the positions that some people simply cannot grasp. One is based upon evidence and observation to determine what the hell is actually going on. The other simply makes a guess, is satisfied with its guess, and goes about its business believing it has the answer to every question (god did it). So what if I am not 100% certain on something, at least I am honest and do not presume to have all the answers. The answers I have are based on evidence, not conjecture, not wishful thinking. There is no validity to dreaming something up and thinking it is true, no matter the state of the Universe, no matter the fact that no one can be 100% certain of anything. There is only one truth, no matter if it is known. The God of Abraham is a fairy tale, he is a myth, he is Odin, Thor, Loki, Mars, Ao, Osiris, Isis, and Xenu. It is as plain as day. Believe in a God all you want, but please, do not try and name it. There very well could be a creator, that creator is not the God of Abraham, however.

I cannot wait for the rapture not to happen, for fifty years to go by without the return of Jesus. Still people will push the time line back, still people will hold out hope. Face it, Revelations talks about Rome and that is all. The end of the world has already happened. :)

For someone who is not a Christian you certainly have a lot of faith in the God of Abraham, man. Odd that.

16. I'm talking about the current The Creator, not the God of Abraham. I believe the God of Abraham was a side of God or an immature version of The Creator.

I believe in Jesus mostly as a concept because I refuse to accept Him dying for me to save me from my sins, I believe He did it to show us the way. Or the story was written to show us the way, either or it's the same thing to me.

17. you believe what you believe and dont let others tell you different. dont let yourself get offended either. this is the hardest thing. why do people make posts like this and make charts like that? because they are sick and tired of getting others beliefs shoved down their throat. the whole thing is annoying, i just stay out of it. i see the point of the picture, but i know that religion has its good points, and there are some people that just couldnt live without it. just like there are some people that cant live without drugs, sex, alcohol, and just being a nihilist.

18. Just think about this guys...what do we really know? NOTHING! Hundreds of years ago everyone knew the earth was flat, but they soon found out that wasn't so. Hundreds of years ago everyone knew the earth was the center of the universe, not true either. A hundred years ago it was thought to be impossible to send radio signals across the pacific and atlantic oceans or impossible to visit the moon or send a rover to Mars and a few years ago it was thought to be impossible to send a man to Mars and we are in the process of doing it now. We know nothing, we don't KNOW if god exists and you don't KNOW that earth is the only planet with life because earth is one rock orbiting one star out of two billion stars in one galaxy out of an endless number of galaxies in one of a possible many universes (if you believe in the multi-verse theory.)

We don't know if the laws of physics and gravity are even correct because the more we explore the galaxy and study our findings the more unpredictable the universe becomes. Like with the discovery of the new "dark matter" and "anti-matter" that scientists don't even know anything about yet. We don't know if god created the universe or if it was the big bang or if he made the big bang happen or what we just simply don't know. It is human nature to believe you are a part of something bigger because it helps us cope with the fact that we are nothing but a spec on a grain of sand on an endless beach. We are such a small part of the universe but we have such potential as a species there seems to be no limit to what we can accomplish. So why question the existance of god or the credibilty of science because neither are a certianty in the first place.

The world is full of many different religions and many different scientific theories, but theories are proven wrong every few years and who's to say which religion is right or wrong because man has been "inventing" gods and using religion to explain the unexplainable since the beginning of our species. Take the greeks who had their gods and then were defeated by rome and rome took their gods and renamed them and used them as their own, but to the brain-washed population of rome this was accepted without question because of fear or because they just needed an explanation for why it rained or what caused lightening or what caused love and hatred and what happens when you die, etc.

Another part of human nature is wanting to know what happens when you die and thinking there is an afterlife gives a person the will to live. Do you know what happens when you die or have you just been told? Have you died and come back to life? Have you seen the entire universe? Do you know if there are other species? Have you seen god? Have you ever seen gravity? Can you see wind?Hell no... So technically we should all just shut up and believe what we want to believe but no matter what you believe just know that you know NOTHING! The universe is endless so until we visit every single galaxy and every single star we won't KNOW everything and until god presents himself in person if there is a final judgement and what not like is written in Revelation we won't know he exists. I know I don't know anything for certian so I ask annoying questions that make everyone question their beliefs and I have even got kicked out of a sunday school class as a kid for asking questions they didn't feel were apropriate.

I don't feel that I am an atheist and I don't feel that I am a christian I am unsure just like every other person in this world, no matter how religious they are, because one more part of human nature is to question everything if it wasn't for that we wouldn't have had some of the breakthru's in science and just over all common sense that we have had. We have all questioned faith at some time in our life. Just smoke a fuckin joint and don't worry about it. It is alot easier to except you know nothing than it is to try to explain something that is impossible to explain, just keep up with what's goin on in the world and don't be a closed-minded prick and listen to other people's oppinions don't bash them. All people...all religions...and all theories deserve the benefit of a doubt and deserve to be heard. Peace!

PS: Sorry for the long post lol.

19. I totally agree with you here Liquid, the god of Abraham is a compelation of many gods over time. And the bible is not the book of god it is a book of men. Men wrote the words, chose what books were put into it, and men chose how it would be translated from hebrew to english in the King James version. Take revelations for example, John of Patmos was exiled to the island Patmos and was all alone for many years and he went crazy just think about it. If you were alone on a island by yourself you would probably hear god talking to you to especially if hash plays a large part in the cultures of the area lol. I personally think that he was talking about the Roman Empire since they were so horrible during his time. Christianity is basically a more modernized version of other religions as well as Mormanism being an even more modernized version of Christianity, eventhough Mormanism is pretty ridiculous some one obviously belives in it. Saying your God is better or has more credibility than someone else's god is just a ludacris uneducated statement that shows the person's true lack of logic and reasoning skills. Like I said man just needs an explanation and if it can't be found they create one. Man was just blessed with a vivid imagination, a blessing as well as a curse.