Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Schizophrenia = Long term effect of marijuana use ? O.o

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by 420dopeaf, Aug 10, 2012.

1. no no i dont believe this to be true i actually find it very stupid but i wanted to know you blades thoughts on this link ... me and my professor had a little debate on this and he argued me down saying long term cannabis use leads to schizophrenia help me school this guy ! >.< http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html

2. Only can possibly cause schizopheria if its already in your genes.. So pretty much if noone in your family has ever been diagnosed with schizophrenia then youre good.

3. [quote name='"tooTrill"']Only can possibly cause schizopheria if its already in your genes.. So pretty much if noone in your family has ever been diagnosed with schizophrenia then youre good.[/quote]

Really ? i never knew that :/ lol i thought it was something that you could just be diagnosed with

4. Uh, what is there to school him on? How about we start with some simple statistics.

Tell him if he believes so strongly in this theory, then feel free to explain the ratio of worldwide veteran tokers to schizophrenics to be obscenely large...tends to weaken the theory here a bit when the average toker would struggle to find someone they know who is suffering from this, fellow toker or not.

Or, perhaps we shouldn't be so keen to just glean over this little tidbit:

Hrm...if you can't even tell me who would have been diagnosed with schizophrenia before cannabis is even introduced into the picture....uh...well, hate to say it, but one doesn't have to be a doctor to put two and two together here...

5. Complete utter bs scare tactics.

6. just tell him correlation does not equal causation. my psychiatrist tried to pull that shit on me...

7. eh don't believe shit unless it's actual studies. if marijuana really caused terrible shit like that it wouldn't be used for medical purposes :smoke:

8. Yeah right.

9. Ask him why the rates of schizophrenia haven't increased, but marijuana use has

10. Weed does not cause schizophrenia. Its just a coincidence since schizophrenia comes out at an age where a person is more likely to smoke. The schizophrenia was already an underlying disorder, it just happened to appear at a time in the persons life in which they were smoking weed. It is possible that smoking weed can trigger the already underlying schizophrenia earlier, just like traumatic events can, but again I just think it is a coincidence.

11. Here's a study on the topic at hand

JAMA Network | Archives of General Psychiatry | Familial Predisposition for Psychiatric DisorderComparison of Subjects Treated for Cannabis-Induced Psychosis and Schizophrenia

12. Besides... what if you're already schizophrenic and none of this is real? all of it is just an illusion created within your brain... oh wait... ;)

13. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fR2OgGbKds&feature=autoplay&list=PLAF8965F28847FA5F&playnext=1]The Pack - Vans - YouTube[/ame]

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiP9LVtE9EY]Cannabis Cured Cancer - YouTube[/ame]
    Skip to 6:39

15. Only 1% of the population is predisposed to getting schizophrenia.

So you have 1 out of 100 chance of getting schizophrenia.

I wouldn't worry about it unless one of your parents have it.

16. Even then I wouldnt really worry, the chance is 10% if your parents have it