Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Schizophrenia and cannabis, another idea

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by tharedhead, Jan 8, 2011.

1. #1 tharedhead, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
    Intestine to brain in celiac schizophrenic patient-"send more cannabis, we're inflamed!"

Prevalence of Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity in the United States Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness Study Population ? Schizophrenia Bull

Overactivity of the intestinal endocannabinoid sys... [J Mol Med. 2007] - PubMed result

The "gut brain"
    Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being: Scientific American

Summary-wheat makes you go crazy and rots your intestines. Your inflamed gut tells you to smoke more weed. Lather, rinse, repeat, blame weed, proceed to usual GC arguments about weed and mental illness....Really short version: If you are schizophrenic, get tested for celiac disease. Have a most excellent day!

2. The effect of diet on our mental health is greatly underestimated!

In addition to wheat allergy/ schizophrenia link, the lack of "B" vitamins, as an example, can affect your mental state. "B" vitamins are water soluble, which means your body loses them through urine ("B"s make your urine yellow). There is a good reason that "B" vitamins are the major part of all "stress pills"! My hubby does not absorb "B"s very well and NEEDS extra supplementation on a daily basis, or he tends to get depressed!

Think about what you are putting in your body!

Granny :wave:

3. OMG this is an amazing article. I didn't know that I had Celiac's Disease until last summer. I'm gluten sensitive, and have been on a very strict diet ever since. In the past couple years, I've had mental issues that I've been trying so hard to solve. I am definitely slightly schizophrenic, and I get bad anxiety, mainly social anxiety.

This is such a great article. It's SO true, your gut has so much to do with your mental state. I have read all about this. This is why CBD from cannabis helps people like me so much too.

4. I have been totally gluten free, and pretty much everything else. I not only do it for the reason that I have to, but also for my skin. I learned that gluten and other things I'm sensitive to were giving me acne.

So I just read that article, but does it suggest anything else to fight the mental illness and celiac disease?

5. Its supposed to resolve on the gluten free diet, did you see this...relates to Granny's B vites as well
    Mayo Clinic discovers potential link between celiac disease and cognitive decline

6. Damn that's crazy. Well yeah I have been on a full blown gluten free diet but just found out its in some things I never thought it would be in. My turkey patties, and my organic scottish oatmeal. Sucks, but going to have to continue without. I've read it takes several months to heal your insides from the gluten damage once completely off gluten.

I have felt 90% better from my diet changes. The anxiety and ADD I have improved as much as I'd like. I'd like to go through my days being able to completely focus and not get nervousness. Hopefully over time I can achieve that through completely clean diet and buddhism :D

7. I've seen some low-leve schizoprhenics go ballistic when high on MJ, more than one. OTOH, I have mild Bi-Polar Mania and a little ganja is a nice little Mood Stabilizer. Everyones metabolisim is unique.

8. Found a recent news article on a gluten-free diet-

Gluten-free: ‘Not just another crazy diet'

Gluten-free:

9. I recently found out Im allergic to gluten as well. I've been on a gluten free diet (as much as possible) for the past 3 months and WOW! HUGE improvement in mental and physical health, I was really way far off the track there for the past few years until this diagnosis. Anxiety was really bad, depression, mood swings I would like to find a suitable strain such as Blueberry or Black Domina, which I hear are good for GI disorders, or something with a nice CBD content to help heal my intestines even faster to put back on even more weight (lost 18 pounds). What I found in my research was that heavy metal poisoning from mercury amalgam fillings is one cause (or trigger, exacerbator) of celiac, gluten interolance, allergies, and other autoimmune disorders. My skin was really bad with eczema and acne until I went on the diet, then had half of my fillings replaced by a holistic dentist. I can't wait till next month to get the other half replaced to see how much further my health will improve coupled with the gluten free diet, along with my other food allergies.

IAOMT | mercury free dentistry, Mercury Safe Dentists, Fluoride Free Dentist

YouTube - Smoking Teeth = Poison Gas

You wonder why we have health issues. :mad:

10. #10 garrison68, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011

The cause of your skin problems may be gluten, the condition is called Dermatitis Herpetiformis, and many Celiacs have it: Dermatitis Herpetiformis Defined

I have never heard, or read, anything about dental fillings causing Celiac Disease, or gluten intolerance, etc. Celiac, however, can cause tooth erosion due to enamel defects, brought on by malnutrition. If you have Celiac Disease, then changing the type of fillings in your teeth will not allow you to safely consume gluten and, at this point, until they come up with a supplement or drug to treat Celiac, nothing will allow it.

You have to be 100% gluten free to experience full recovery from Celiac (if that is indeed what you have), as well as safeguard your health. Look at it this way: Gluten is poison to a person with Celiac Disease, but Celiac is the only autoimmune disease that can be stopped dead in it's tracks by most people that have it - but you have to try REALLY hard to completely eliminate gluten from your diet. There's a steep learning curve in the beginning, but it's doable. Most people suffering with other autoimmune conditions, such as Lupus, Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc., would give anything to have Celiac, and treat it by diet modification, rather than have any of the others. It is estimated that as many as one to two percent of the population has Celiac Disease - but very few get diagnosed and some 97% of these several million people do not even know that they have it. If you do know it, you're one of the lucky ones.

Good luck.

11. I am Celiac. It took a little while to fully sink in, and understand what I had to do. I also had skin problems. Everything garrison said is true, except I believe a lot more people are gluten intolerant. Gluten is poison for EVERYONE. Not just Celiac's. Or people gluten intolerant.

It has been a year now, and I am 98% gluten free. Let me tell you, it's not easy. I say 98% because of this. All of my food is gluten free. You have to read ingredients, you will get very used to it. But if you live with someone else, it is very hard to be 100% gluten free. Gluten is in so many things you would never think of. And cross contamination is impossible to stop unless you live by yourself or everyone in the house is gluten free. I live with my buddy, and he eats gluten all the time, so the cross contamination is impossible to stop. I can't tell him to go gluten free haha, he has his own rights.

If I lived by myself, I would clean the entire house. make it sterile. And have all my gluten free things, REMEMBER, gluten is in things you would never think as well, toothpaste, mouthwash, envelopes, glue, pills, the list goes on and on, it takes hours and hours of learning to fully understand gluten.

12. #12 oragambiD, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
    Here's a couple for the schiz pot:

The mercury/casein/gluten factor effect on opioid peptides as a mechanism in causing autism, schizophrenia, ADHD, MS, and othe
    Thread: Mercury/hidden food sensitivites (Leaky gut, parasites etc) at Parasites Support Forum (ThreadID: 1193174) (also talks about GI)

Also interesting to note, the side of my face that is now mercury free has had a dramatic improvment in healing the skin, compared to the other side. I don't use toothpaste anymore, only water and baking soda, with a swish of watered down hydrogen peroxide. I use an organic shampoo with fewer ingredients, that I can actually read. Anything that says Natural, Artificial flavors, citric acid, Spice (which now includes msg) I try to avoid. Eating organic and gluten free at the same time for me is more of a financial problem, but I do what I can.

Gluten Free Diet Forum - Gluten Free Help ...

There are mentions of people believing that heavy metal toxicities can lead to or exacerbate autoimmune disorders because of its toll on the immune system.

Yes I do know there are genetics involved as well, but these things certainly cannot help the situation at all, preying upon weaknesses like stress can.. I believe my whole family has it on both sides, based on what ive seen and been told.

13. Have you been diagnosed with Celiac by a blood test, or endoscopy/biopsy?

14. Just turn your schizo into an empire like Seth Macfarlane. If you watch that guy voice record for family guy you would think he was the most schizo person on the planet, can we say highest payed writer in Hollywood?

15. #15 oragambiD, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
    I didn't say I have celiac, just a suspicion after I had 4 vials of blood drawn and the results came back with "severe reaction to gluten and gliadin." No confirmation to actual celiac, just the fact that my body does not like gluten or gliadin.My natural toxiclogist is calling it a severe intolerance, and that it has caused malabsorption. When I was younger I had headaches, migraines, stomach cramps, diarhea, anxiety, trouble sleeping and insatiable food cravings. I also have sleep apnea, even after they removed my tonsils and adenoids and had me tested overnight.

After going on the diet my mental health has turned for the better, the huge sacs of pus that looked like cystic acne around my neck and jawline slowly diminished. After I had some fillings replaced more inflammation went down. But now I get random breakouts like in waves in different spots on my face but not as bad as before. My sleep is getting a bit better but still not as much as I would like. My heavy metal test came back for elevated spikes of mercury and lead. Aluminum, arsenic, barium, cesium, nickel, thallium, tin and tungsten came back as well but below elevated. Im hoping after im chelated my body will get a chance to heal faster.

My mother has bad GI problems, weight problems, Her mercury and lead are higher than mine. A naturopathic friend said that it can pass to fetuses. My dad is skinny as a toothpick like I am with some kind of mental disease, no one knows [what] but hes very irritable, and often resorts to a childlike mindset, and his blood sugar is leaning towards diabetes which is probably part of the mind thing. My father's parents are having trouble with diabetes, arthritis, and mental decline. My grandparents on my mother side have experimented with the diet and lost weight, and my aunt is allergic to dairy and has bad osteoperosis (sp?) and mental health issues.

There's more I could go on about but that's another time.

16. **With my 3 largest meals, I have a digestive Enzyme and HCL directly before.

Wake Up:
    Big Glass of water, Gobi Detox Tea
    Milk Thistle, B-5 200mg, Probiotics, Cinnamon, Raservatol, L-Glutamine
    1st Meal:
    Organic Scottish Oatmeal with Blueberries and Turkey Bacon

2nd Meal:Green Smoothie (Spinach, Broccoli, hemp protein, hemp milk, flaxseed, flaxseed meal)
    Big Glass Water w/ ACV

3rd Meal:Fresh Salad with either chopped up raw Sweet Potatoes or a couple Omega-3 Eggs, with EV olive oil.

4th meal:post-Workout Green Smoothie (Same as first except without Broccoli, more protein)

5th Meal:Organic Chicken skinless boneless breast, fresh salad, onions and garlic, and broccoli.

6th Meal: Tuna/Salmon with fresh salad and Hemp Oil
    Green Tea

(Skin Therapy)
    Topical: Toner: Water, ACV, Baking Soda. Wash off then apply below:
    Apply Manuka Honey and Hemp oil to skin. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, wash off.

Supplements: Calcium, Vitamin C, Chromium Blood Sugar, Magnesium, ProBiotic, Zinc, B5 200mg, Aloe Vera, Liver Aid.

Total:
    Calories: 4,780
    Fat: 240g
    Sat Fat: 52.5
    Carbs: 476
    Fiber: 141g
    Protein: 230g

17. If you feel better not consuming gluten, by all means stay on that diet - a lot of people do so, with very good results, even if they are not confirmed to have Celiac Disease.

18. #18 tharedhead, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011
    Non celiac gluten sensitivity is an interesting topic. Its real, they are still trying to figure out how it works.

Gluten Causes Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Subject... [Am J Gastroenterol. 2011] - PubMed result

General interest article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-david-perlmutter-md/gluten-impacts-the-brain_b_785901.html

19. Degrassman how is that Hemp oil working for your skin? Im just about to research the oil now for that purpose. Im about to venture into the world of hemp, after reading about its many uses, and just ordered a hemp cookcook. It's good to know god provides gluten free plants, including hemp ( if not cross contaminated).

I wish I could eat like you do, im jealous :p I take apple cider vinegar in the morning with Ionic calcium/magnesium, 2000mg of vitamin d, A capsule of cannabis sativa seed pressing oil, ground flax on my cereal, and a few times a week a tablespoon of mustard oil, all for the omega's and other active ingredients.

If my order of Liposomal C ever gets here ill be happy, as I noticed the stuff I got from my dentist had a temporary effect on my skin, but it was a small bottle. Also have some natural mixed tocopherol vitamin E, with all the beta gamma delta and what not, cold pressed from no gmo soy. That synthetic dl crap is bullshit. And yes, I make sure my vitamins are gluten free, magnesium stearate free, stearic acid free, all the crap they use to produce it faster in inferior brands.
    I do what I can with the family's and my limited income, when it comes to organic, gluten free, and supplements.

20. #20 garrison68, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011

The major difference between non-Celiac gluten sensitivity and Celiac Disease is the destruction of the villi, the fingerlike projections in the small intestine which are responsible for absorption of nutrients, which occurs when Celiac is present. When a person that has Celiac Disease consumes gluten, the body recognizes it as poison and goes into an autoimmune mode to stop the absorption, and starts destroying the villi. This results in a number of problems, not the least of which is a compromised ability, or in advanced cases an inability, to absorb most nutrients. It can also lead to cancer, other autoimmune diseases, other medical conditions, and often an early death.

If anybody suspects that they have Celiac, and wishes to confirm it through medical testing, they must not stop consuming gluten, because the results may not be accurate. If they've already stopped eating gluten for a while, they must consume it again for a time, before getting tested. Many people are unwilling to do this, though, because of the risk of becoming sick again, so they stay on a gluten free diet.

One other choice is genetic testing, and for this you do not have to consume gluten to find out if you are at risk. This can't inform anybody that they have Celiac Disease, it can only indicate whether they have the genes for it. Most people that have genetics for Celiac do not have the disease, but may have a higher than average chance of gluten sensitivity.