Saved a Life

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Snevar2, Jan 13, 2011.

1. My fiancee and I donated blood today, helping to save lives in my area. I did this on my, not with school(Im a second year biochem major), not the Y, I went to the local blood bank on my own time. I feel great. :D 2 months away from my platelet donation, which will help a cancer patient. Just thought id share this with you guys and maybe inspire others to do the same. Its a great thing you can do.

2. I once donated blood....stoned

3. How was the body high?

4. I know they are different components of blood, but how is the process of platelets different? More painful, different needle?

5. You wanna really save a life try donating blood and then getting hammered with your buddies and sit at the bar and wonder when the next shot is going to kill you.

6. i will never donate blood again. back in high school my girlfriend at the time got me to go to a blood drive. and i swear to fucking god i am traumatized of needles now. They made us pump our own blood for some reason, but you could see your blood being sucked out of you and drained into a containe n you were supposed to fill like a quarter of it full .. i filled a whole fucking container without even realising it(it was overfilling / Gushing out). passed out with blood squirting everywhere...

7. I've always had to pump my own blood, by squeezing like a stress ball.

And to whoever asked about platelets, atleast when I've done it, blood is drawn using gravity and the beat of your heart whereas platelets are done by machine. From what I understand, blood is sucked out of you by machine, platelets seperated somehow in the machine, and blood pumped back into your arteries. More intensive and tougher on the body, there's usually size and body weight limits (something like you have to weigh more than 150lbs) and you can't do it as often.

8. My sister died 2 years ago when she was 19. She was a organ doner and her organs went to help others in need. We have her organ doner medal next to her ashes. Its pretty rad to help others when your dead, i suggest other to do the same.

9. I used to donate plasma for years.. they actualy pay you for it too. made good money that way and more then once it payed for my weed and sometimes my bills. I would do it now but for some odd reason every time I go into the booth to get the initial screening done my heart rate goes through the roof when they do my blood pressure. too bad too... 1hr of just laying there for up to $50 bucks a shot is totally worth it.

10. Mur13 was correct on the process, your blood is pumped out using a machine that separates the red blood cells and platelets and then the red blood cells are pumped back into your body. There are higher standards for this process, as it is strenuous on your body as Mur13 stated. You can donate ever 2 weeks unlike whole blood which is 56 days. The platelets are used to treat cancer patients and I plan to donate often seeing as if I had cancer, id want someone to do the same for me.

11. Good for you.... If your willing to do it under the right circumstances I do not see why not I think it's nice.

12. Does it matter if my doner sticker came off my license?

13. I am an organ donor. Why not save a life when you are gone?

Also, I believe organ donation should be mandatory.

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0wRfHjF5M]YouTube - The Fray - How To Save A Life + Lyrics[/ame]

15. Some people donate organs while they are alive. The least you could do is give them up when you're gone and no longer have any use whatsoever for them.

16. at least in my state they make you pay for the surgery for the donation. that being said i am still an organ doner

17. As vital as it is to donate blood and all I just feel it's odd to have someone else flowing thru you. Don't get me wrong, i'm not against the idea. But how trippy would it you had someone else inside your you (lol don't even)

18. actually its only someone elses blood for about the first hour. your body assimilates it and adds what it needs making it completly unique to you yet again. (its why you need the same blood type and why not all blood takes to everybody)

19. im sure they cant use THC contaminated blood, my friend in Texas had a blood bank come to his school and they had to rid a lot of the blood because of THC contamination

20. thc is a nutrient. thats why it gets stored into your fat cells, your body uses it. it is very good for you and can not harm the blood at all because your body has a nearly identical chemical that your body reads just the same. so they can and do take blood with thc. they dont even care