Save space on Your Computer

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by DUB'd-MouSSE, Sep 18, 2010.

1. I'm putting this in general because it's something Im sure a lot of people have problems with and people in the computer section probably already know what I'm about to say.

Anyways I use vuze to download music then copy it into itunes. What I never realized is that Itunes makes a copy of the music so you have 2 versions of the same thing. Once a song is in your itunes library you can delete the vuze file and still have the song in itunes.

I just deleted my Vuze files and freed up massive amounts of space on my comp.

2. Well, yeah.

3. Id delete the itunes and save more than just memory

4. #4 DUB'd-MouSSE, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010
    Ha I know its pretty stupid but I never realized how much space that shit was wasting. I always had less than a GB of space left on my comp till I deleted all those files.

Why would u do that? Or were u being sarcastic?

5. The only reason I have it is because its the only thing you can use with the iphone.

6. When I had a PC itunes was fucking terrible, but imo it's not too bad on OSX.

7. Well guess which one Im on...

Its extremely annoying to me. It tries to control everything. Ive pretty much given up on trying to get my music and movies on there

8. Wait, do you delete the torrent file or do you delete the actual music file?

9. The actual music file.

For example, for legal reasons Apple cannot allow iTunes to play WMA files (Windows Media Audio). As a workaround, when iTunes finds a WMA file it will create a copy and convert it to AAC format. Now you have two copies of the same song.

10. "The song "XXXXXXX" could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

^^
    I got that message?

11. You may've accidentally deleted the itunes files.

12. Hmmm, I'm confused. I use uTorrent and all my downloads go to one folder (called "Downloads"). Then from that folder I select the folder with the music, highlight all the songs and drag them into iTunes. Once I delete a music file thats in the Downloads folder, it doesn't work on iTunes..

:confused:

13. Hmm idk. Do u have a mac or PC cuz Im on a Mac and it could work differently for each one. Also I use vuze and deleted them straight out of vuze, I didnt do it from the HD.

14. You only want to delete the original from the Download folder when iTunes creates its own copy in this folder:

C:\Users\_______\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music
    or
    C:\Documents and Settings\_______\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

depending on your version of Windows.

15. Just a personal observation re: Itunes. IT SUCKS!!! The way it handles files, as you guys pointed out, blows. Had on my system for a few months, then deleted it all: much simpler to create the appropriate folders, fire up Winamp, save a bunch of 'playlist' files, and voila.

16. Sorry to be off topic, but Goalie, are you one ?

17. I was for soccer back in high school, but not anymore.

18. Ah, I played goal in hockey for a loooong time!

Cheers

19. #19 goalie75, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2010
    Word? Hockey's always been my favorite sport and I wanted to play, but it was too expensive :(. I still play pond hockey when that time of year comes around haha.