Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sativa vs indica

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by cbrules3033, Feb 14, 2009.

1. whats the difference? what do you prefer? how do you know which one your bud is?

2. From the Pot Snob -
    Regarding the differences between indica and sativa... Just to show you how complicated the simplest, most “rudimentary” question can be when it comes to cannabis, smoke on this: The scientific community still hasn’t reached a consensus on the question of whether indica and sativa represent two distinct species (under the shared genus cannabis) or whether they represent subsets of the same species.

Regardless of whether two different species evolved from the same genus or whether one species split along geographic lines, by the time mankind came around to get high, the plant had divided into two easily distinguishable lines, with sativas growing wild in almost all equatorial regions of the globe (Mexico, Thailand, Colombia, Jamaica, etc.) and indicas thriving in southern Asia and the Indian subcontinent (Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Tibet, Nepal, etc.). In each case, the plants were eventually discovered, recognized, cultivated and bred for specific uses—sativas for straight smoking and indicas for making hashish and kif. These practices continued for thousands of years, without the two lines ever crossing paths, until a combination of far-wandering hippies, the Grateful Dead and the US War on Drugs brought them together for the first time.

3. Generally, you'll hear people say that sativa provides more of the heady energetic high whereas an indica will give you that stoned couchlock high.

4. QFT. The only thing it doesnt explain is the difference of the highs/plants. Sativa's usually have thin leaves and tall and long branches. Indica is usually short and bushy. Sativa is a cerebral high and indica is a body high.

To the OP though, should've searched, there are so many of these threads.

5. Indica because Sativa tends to make my heart race a bit too fast and it takes away from the experience a little. Indica just calms me right down and I laugh at everything. Generally Indicas make you body feel relaxed almost if you took a muscle relaxer, while Sativas tend to be a more awake high and your mind tends to race through strange thoughts. Most bud you get that isn't a named strain is a mix of the two.

6. Honestly, after smoking alot of sativa and indica, I have to say that the best you can get is a 60/40 sativa/indica mix, sativa being the 60%. It gives you a fantastic mind high, coupled nicely with a good body high, but not so much you get couch lock or crash too soon.

7. could you name any strains that have this ratio?

8. Several factors in the cultivation of cannabis can affect the ratio of different cannabinoids in your buds. The same strain can vary in ratio. Most buds you come across are hybrids anyways.

9. personnaly for wat i go by for which one is which by looks, i find tht generaly indicas are denser nugs while sativas are nce and fluffy
    but its not always right

10. #11 B.T., Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
    Couldn't have said it better myself, however, I've been smoking southern nights, which seems to have the best sativa/indica mix, it hits the spot.

I doubt you've heard of Southern Nights unless you live around Johnson City, Tennessee.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I do indeed mean Southern Nights, not Southern Lights.