Sativa Vs. Indica

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Indigo Tesla, Oct 2, 2016.

Tags:
?

Which would you rather smoke?

1. Sativa

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Indica

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. So I'm sort of new to smoking. Did it some in high school, but only when it was offered to me. I have a question that I know I could just google, but I want a more in depth answer. What is the difference between indicas and sativas? How can you tell which kind you have if you have weed and you aren't sure which it is? Is there a difference in how they make you feel or how they were grown or what? Looking for a full answer covering the entire topic. Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie!

2. Oh shoot, I didn't mean to post in philosophy and now I can't figure out how to delete it to re-post in the right thread. New to the website, first post -- sorry!

3. most the time I prefer a sativa leaning hybrid. Smoking heavy indicas I find nice for a late night relax, but makes me much more likley to fall asleep than be up for a party.

its not a difference in growth- Cannabis Indica and Cannabis Sativa are two different species, all though most weed is hybrid these days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dont worry about it- i think the consensus is with this number of stoners in one place shits going to get put in the wrong place every now and then.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hello friend!
    Dickie posted a great link that will answer all your questions! I'll give you my rundown and opinion of the two, well three..
    Indica is commonly a nighttime flower, it's more physically sedative and of the body high variety, more relaxing.
    Sativa is commonly a daytime flower, it's more of s mental cerebral high of the head high variety, more energetic.
    Then there's Hybrids which have the characteristics of both Indica and sativa strains, leaning more towards one depending on whether the Indica or Sativa is more dominant.
    Hope that helps, check out that link from Dickie!

6. Indica: short bushy plants dense and more earthy tones of green. Feels like time moves slower, body gets lethargic and response times are stoner level slow.

Sativa: tall, slender fan leaves on the plant. Buds tend to be softer, fluffier, lighter in color and have a wider array of juicy smells. If the plant smells more like candy than skunk, it's probably sativa dominant. The general length of high per hit ratio though is like 45 minutes as opposed to the classic 2 hour indica type of way. This is why I believe more stoners relate to indica trees when they refer to the herb. Since sativa is uplifting and energetic, most don't associate that giddiness with dank weed, rather like an energy booster.

7. http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/can.2015.29003.ebr

CCR: Some users describe the psychoactive effects of Cannabis indica and sativa as being distinctive, even opposite. But are they really? Beyond self-reports from users, is there any hard evidence for pharmacologically different species of Cannabis?

Dr. Russo: There are biochemically distinct strains of Cannabis, but the sativa/indica distinction as commonly applied in the lay literature is total nonsense and an exercise in futility. One cannot in any way currently guess the biochemical content of a given Cannabis plant based on its height, branching, or leaf morphology. The degree of interbreeding/hybridization is such that only a biochemical assay tells a potential consumer or scientist what is really in the plant. It is essential that future commerce allows complete and accurate cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles to be available.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CCR: Sativa is often described as being uplifting and energetic, whereas indica as being relaxing and calming. Can you speculate on what could be the basis for these perceived differences?

Dr. Russo: We would all prefer simple nostrums to explain complex systems, but this is futile and even potentially dangerous in the context of a psychoactive drug such as Cannabis. Once again, it is necessary to quantify the biochemical components of a given Cannabis strain and correlate these with the observed effects in real patients. Beyond the increasing number of CBD predominant strains in recent years, almost all Cannabis on the market has been from high-THC strains. The differences in observed effects in Cannabis are then due to their terpenoid content, which is rarely assayed, let alone reported to potential consumers. The sedation of the so-called indica strains is falsely attributed to CBD content when, in fact, CBD is stimulating in low and moderate doses! Rather, sedation in most common Cannabis strains is attributable to their myrcene content, a monoterpene with a strongly sedative couch-lock effect that resembles a narcotic. In contrast, a high limonene content (common to citrus peels) will be uplifting on mood, while the presence of the relatively rare terpene in Cannabis, alpha-pinene, can effectively reduce or eliminate the short-term memory impairment classically induced by THC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CCR: How do you think one could address the sativa/indica dichotomy in a scientifically sound manner?

Dr. Russo: Since the taxonomists cannot agree, I would strongly encourage the scientific community, the press, and the public to abandon the sativa/indica nomenclature and rather insist that accurate biochemical assays on cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles be available for Cannabis in both the medical and recreational markets. Scientific accuracy and the public health demand no less than this.

• Like Like x 2
  10. awesome reference! but be sure to remember that it doesnt disprove the possibility of distinction between Indica & Sativa. Just makes a strong point that more evidence is needed to prove or disprove so.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sativa no doubt! Bring on that mind-altering psychedelic high!

Indica is good to smoke before bed though, to relax yourself, but it's bland because it's just a body high.