sativa plant height questions...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by harryCHRONICjr, May 6, 2009.

1. hey--

i'm sorry if this has been answered before...

i'm growing sativa plants in a closet. i understand they tend to get really tall. however, my closet space will only allow me to grow the plant to about 6 foot.

what are the recommended photoperiods during veg and flowering stages? i'd like a decent sized plant, but am also looking for it to get bushy. i do have an oscillating fan to strengthen the stems.

i'm a beginner. i've only read briefly about the low stress tests. will i inevitably have to perform this to "stunt" height growth?

thanks.

2. Sativas do get tall, if your strain is lst compatible, then go for it. you can train it to grow bushy. i would veg them till they are 2' tall @ 18/6. then flower them @12/12. depending on strain, growing conditions, flowering time, they should be 3.5-4" tall sativa/indica to 5' if pure sativa. they prolly will put in about 4.5 feet tall if you flower them at 2'. keep the lights close and the temps down, this will lead to squater(no stretching) and healthier growth

3. You could use one of the "shape shifter" products available. They are applied at the time you change your light schedule to 12/12, and virtually stop vertical growth, while promoting more nodes(flower sites). I use Humboldt's BushMaster, but there is one called 'Phosphoload" and another product called "Dr. Nodes", both of which do the same thing. For me, the BushMaster speeds up the transition time to flower (sometimes will see pistils in 7 days) and it virtually stops vertical growth, while the crop will finish up to a week earlier. I usually get the 8 oz. bottle, which has lasted a year....a little goes a long way. I use 1 tsp per gallon, and treat plant 2 times. I only have 6' from floor to the light, and it has really kept the growth in check.

[​IMG]BUSHMASTER 8oz Humboldt Countys Own FREE SHIPPING

4. Does Bushmaster effect your yield?

5. You guys are very helpful! Thanks for the advice, all of you!

SpongePaul, I'm going to try your method first. If I begin to experience issues, I'll try some of that BushMaster, chunkdaddyo...

6. good luck, pure sativas can be some gangly bastards, but the pain and training and the times you go AUGHH i shoulda gone hybrid, will pay off at the end when you get the tropical fruity great Sativa smoke. also rem that depending on strain a Sativa can take up to 16weeks to flower, rather than the 8 or 9 of an indica

7. I'm growing Maui Waui. Anyone know off top if that strain is LST compatible?

8. I saw Maui Waui in a sick SCROG. Plant would have easily been 15 feet tall, instead covered 4 square meters of 2x2 chicken wire!