Sativa Indoor

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Rob Zombie, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Does anyone here grows/has grown pure (100%) Sativa, or Sativa predominant breeds indoors?

I'm in need of advices. My first grow is a female. But I vegged it until it reached like, 24" height. Now I'm really worried that it's supposed to double, or triple it's size during flowering :eek:

But this I'll deal with somehow.

What I wanted to know is something different. I guess I messed up on the lighting, since my plant has like, some 4" between the top leaf nodes. It really stretched. My guess is I used not enough wattage (~60W real CFL).

So I took 2 clones from the plant before flowering. Now I want to grow these the right way and keep them sort (3' tall tops). Is it even possible?

I thought of shooting for 90W CFL 6500K right on top of it, for the growth, and side lighting of 50W CFL 2700K. This should prevent stretch, right?

Also, I thought of LSTing during veg, so it grows near the ground, and not up. Would it keep the plant from growing really tall?

Another thing, it may fill the LST available space on the bucket around 1,5 month of veg, so would it be ok to change to flowering schedule (12/12) then, and change the 90W CFL 6500K for 100W CFL 2700K?

Please, I need advices here. I want to make the next growth right. I don't have that much space available, and handling big plants/buckets is hard. Also, please note that I only grow one plant at a time.

:wave:

2. flowering at 2 feet is def gonna get you a 6 foot plant atleast if its sativa.theres so much space between leaves cuz your lighting is week.id say step up to a 250 watt mh or a good floro light.

should of topped it atleast before it went to flower..alot easier to manage than a 6 foot tied down plant.search google between the diff of a sativa leaf and indica.indica leaves are thick wide leafes sativa look like long lady fingers.

next time flower no later than 18"

3. Oh, I did top it (fimmed it, actually)! Still it got HUGE! It has 5 main colas... :eek:

I'm 99% sure it stretched because of lack of lighting. I'll just go with it for now. Can't spend more money on lighting/light bill.

I'm thinking of changing to flowering next time when it's around 1' tall, so it won't go past 3'.

Geez man, I've got nowhere to put a 6' tall plant! :(

As for the leafs, well, they are not broad at all. They are very thin and long! It's sativa for sure.

4. No one else? :(

5. sure it is

sounds pretty good, the more lights you can add without upping the heat, the better when it comes to CFLs. Also remember to keep them as close as you can to the plant to maximize lumens

this is the way to go to control height. absolutely make sure you LST and for more bushiness, combine with topping. Don't slip up on your tying down either, if it's done right... you'll have a nice even canopy of buds. As a bonus, this helps maximize your lighting as well

Yeah it probably will fill it up rather quickly. personally I would change over as soon as they showed sexual maturity (preflowers/alternating nodes). You're correct about flowering under 2700k light as well.. good luck man

6. Sativa indoors is a pain in the ass. You need to constantly top it, train it and hope to got it doesnt get too big. My advise is ditch the clones and get some incica. Denser buds, shorter plants, leave sativa for outdoor grows.

7. Agreed they get huge! My dominant sativa was 12-14" when i started flowering and that bad boy is an easy 3.5ft now, and its only been 4 weeks, just keep adding CFL's. You want at least 150watts on that big thing, much more if possible.

8. Hey, thanks for the answers! :D

Hmmm, I'll get indica as soon as I move from the begginer grower stage. I'm planning my second grow now (this one). Since I live in South America, we have no seed banks here. Everything has to come from overseas and the prices are a little high right now for me to buy a pack of 10 seeds and frigg them up, if you know what I mean... I'm also messing with my grow box, trying to optmize it. After my first grow, I've decided I'll just make a new one.

The one I'm using is an old locker, improvised to turn into a grow box. It leaks light, smell, etc... Not good. :(

The reason I asked all these questions here is because I'll have to take the details into consideration when designing my now box. ;)

Well, I'll have to stick with Sativa for now. But hey, I'm glad. I've got a female and clones! It's something already. Plus, where I live, there's no bud for sale. Just schwag... and now some dealers are starting to mix stuff into it, like crack, to vice people. REALLY worried about this. I've stopped buying for a long time now. Given this situation, I'll have to grow my stuff if I ever want to smoke again.

I hope you understand.

Thanks guys.

If anyone has another advice, I'm all open.

9. #9 lovethefunk, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010

Holy S**T man! Na dnt mess with that haha you'll have plenty after that sativa finishes up:)

10. Another doubt that arouse.

I have 2x 45W CFL 6500K
    And 4x 25W CFL 2700L

Is it ok to veg with both spectrums?

11. The trick to growing sativa indoor: LST

I turn those baddies in spirals on top of my tubs. It ups the yield and contains the height. When you get eough spiraling then you flower and the colas grow straight up. Keeps the plant about 2' high.

12. Yes it is. it will actually help, a mixed spectrum resembles sunlight more than only one spectrum.

13. Never thought of that, sounds interesting and awesome velanarris, id like to see some pics if possible:wave:

14. try bending the colas down then tying them down with string

15. Interesting. 2' height would be VERY nice! :D

Thanks for all the support guys. I appreciate it very much.

Now, my flowering Sativa (Keekee) is very tall now and was still growing. So, I pulled out a trick I used to do with pine bonsai. Pinching.

Since you're not supposed to cut a pine tree, 'cause it will 'bleed' a lot of sap and probably die, when you have to prune a pine bonsai, you pinch the tips, to halt growth and force it to divide the stems, forming a much uniform cannopy.

Pinching, for those who don't know what it is, is when you pinch the upmost germinative part of the plant with your fingertips and gently 'yank' it out. Since it only removes the top germinative gems, the secondary germinative gems on the stem are stimulated to grow. From the top most, down. The top ones being the most stimulated.

So I decided to pinch the plant 2 days ago. Man, vertical growth has slowed down like 70% and side growth and flower growth has increased aprox. 100% :eek: The amount of flowers has tripled on the main colas upmost part, and the plant showed no sign whatsoever of stress.

I think that she did go well with the pinching on the flowering period 'cause sativas seem to be more resistant then indicas (I read this around GC, somewhere). I'll be sure to try pinching more times on my next growth. Should increase the amount side growth.

---

So, now I know I need at least 2' for my new box.

Another interesting thought I've been musing on for some days. When you grow bonsai, and you want it to grow sideways, instead of upwards, you put it on a basin, instead of a vase, so that the feeding roots (thin roots that grow to the sides) will spread in range, and the pivot root (fixation root. Relative to the plants height) won't have that much space to grow. It is known to bosaist that the canopy will grow as wide as the plant's root system, and the trunk will grow about the same size that the pivot root goes into the ground. I wonder if Cannabis will behave the same way.

Anyone knows anything about this? Has ever experienced with this type of growing?