Sams Club, Smiths, Or Safeway?

Discussion in 'General' started by oceansgreen, Aug 27, 2014.

1. for the poll, simply state which you would rather work at and what meat you would rather purchase(as if it all cost the same, so you are judging on quality and value), then please comment on your reasons why if you feel so inclined
    i am also looking for stories from people who have worked at these places (or their regionally named counterpart)

now ensues the long story section :)

So, i added the poll for convenience but ive recently (couple moths ago) been laid off from a job in the oil industry, long story short i feel that this layoff has been more of a blessing than anything because i once again have a life, albiet i am broke. as fuck. lol but upon getting laid off i put out a few applications, though i didnt quite frantically hand them out due to a family reunion a couple weeks after the layoff (for which i had scheduled a vacation with my last job) and of the aplications i put out the first one to get back to me and the most willing to work around the reunion was WalMart, they did the hire process including drug test prior to my trip and enabled me to feel comfortable on the trip and realize that i had a job to go back to

now the walmart around here pays much better than most walmarts but still at 10.60/hr i am struggling to make ends meet, particularly if my roomate is late on his rent as he was this time (though the late fees he had to pay as a result will likely help a lot in the long run), anyway walmart hired me into their meat dept, they dont cut meat but it paid a bit more than standard cashiering and it opened my eyes to a great oppurtunity, i have since learned that if you make journeyman in meat cutting you can make up to 25/hr in some places, i also have great confidence in the intrinsic value of meat cutting both on a resume and as a life skill (particularly where i dream of running a farm some day) so i have decided that so long as i can afford the slow start that i will try to get a job as a meat cutting apprentice

there are a few places around here that cut meat, two local shops, albertsons, smiths, safeway, and sams club, those are all that i know of, of the locals, one is not hiring (though i LOVE their shop, it is my preferred place to shop for meat if i can ever afford to purchase any) and the other i didnt even try to find out if they were i just didnt really like the shop (they work in the basement and direct customers to find them there and their choices of meat dont appeal to me)
    of the others
    i have decided id prefer not to work at alberstons because of an old very short term relationship with an employee there(just easier to avoid it and its not the only option)
    that leaves safeway, sams club and smiths
    the walmart i work at is on the opposite end of town and right next to the sams club, so the commute is more costly long term and im not making too much
    now if i go to sams club, my employment at walmart may help me get in and i know they pay more than walmart though the commute is exactly the same, requiring me to either take the interstate (that stretch is ok but not in the best of condition) or go through town (which has got a terrible police presence that loves to "fine mine" the public and has harrassed me more in the two years ive lived here than all other police combined in my years of living elsewhere) and as far as benefits go, i do shop at Sam's on occasion because its the only bulk store in the area, so a discount could be useful
    then there is safeway, they have a large store near the sams club and walmart and a small almost run down store much closer to me, the one closer to me would likely be a quieter, easier(for lack of a better word) job but i would have to start in deli and wait for an opening in meat(ok with me IF it pays enough for me to live off of) the other side i may be able to move directly into meat but the same downsides on commute and its likely to be more busy and have more of a bustle to it
    i dont know if smiths has two shops in town i think just one, which is the closest to me of all the options, i know that smiths is the same corporation as king soopers and i know of a certain king soopers where nearly all of the cashiers are stoned all the time at work and a large amoung of the other employees as well, they only had to do swab tests to get hired and havent had any big issues that i know of with their choice to smoke in the 5 plus years theyve worked there, that being said each one may be different and just because they swab test at that store does not mean that they wouldnt piss test here, i would also have to start elsewhere to get my foot in the door here(seafood)
    now here is a quick little internet page i found involving the wages at these places, but i think its reported by employees so again it could be completely different at the store i work at compared to their results, this says that safeway pays the best and that sams club is shit for pay, but again it could be the reverse here
    http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/meat-cutter-salary-SRCH_KO0,11.htm

another thing to straighten out before i go to asking the city for experience and advice in this desicion:
    I DO NOT NOR DO I PLAN TO EVER SMOKE BEFORE OR BE HIGH DURING A SHIFT ANYWHERE FOR ANY REASON, but i would like to work somewhere that will teach me the trade, pay a decent enough wage to live off of while learning and in the end of the learning stage will pay well - at least 15/hr or more but preferably leaning toward 20/hr or more, but will allow me to live the life i want to outside of work (i.e. if i want to go smoke a bowl or two at the end of my shift on my "friday" i want a place that has a lower risk of testing and firing me two weeks later for the same act (spare the science of how long it stay in your system for this one, this is just an example)

all that being said in a lengthy manner, any blades worked at any of these places? which would you recommend for the overall work environment? the pay? the chance of drug testing? and/or the quality of the meat sold at either location?

2. Whichever is better for you, shorter commute is a plus depends on the pay

3. Was I really supposed to read all that lol

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. TL;DR  Sam's club is related to walmart which destroyed the manufacturing industry in the USA and put millions of people out of work.

Go with smiths or safeway.

5. I feel as if sams club would have more of an industrial meat department since they sell in bulk (Mostly cutting meat with a band saw/ slicer to the customers liking)

And therefore the experience you'd get there would probably be limited

You would be surprised how many stores outsource alot of their meat cutting, I think you'd be better off in a smaller operation as far as gaining experience

Also you might wanna go there and ask the guys in the meat section a little about the job there

Also be prepared for the cold 34 degrees alllllll day

6. I used to do that at national beef cut 3000 cows a day 1500 per shift and it was an 8 hour shift. We had to wear chain link armor shit was an experience

7. None of the above. What's with the overly long OP about something like Sams. Damn dude. TLDR that shit ya knpw

8. I currently work with lamb, we process the larger cuts and turn them into more consumer level products like loin chops, racks of lamb, stew meat (cubed), shanks, legs, boneless legs etc etc

I started off as a cutter but I hated it so much my hands were frozen stiff by first break

Then from there I moved up to packaging (individual vaccum sealed packs)

Now Im a machine operator and mostly just make sure the machine runs smoothly has the supplies it needs although its still freezing balls in there

You talking about those gloves reminds me that today the guy on the bandsaw cut his hand, fuckn moron left blood all over the damn place, on the floor, door handles, all over the restroom wall and sinks, the breakroom we`re lucky the inspector wasnt in the whole damn place would be a violation

9. That's crazy sounds just like my place I was a cutter for a month moved on a skinner machine for the Japanese cuts and coasted on that thing for about 2 months, there was a lot of pieces I thought I would go crazy Everyone was an alcoholic and most did a lot of drugs even though it was a small town
    The cutting sucked I did that for my last 2 months. A knife in one hand and a hook in the other I felt like rocky since I was getting great exercise so I decided to tough it out

10. What's the difference? :confused:

11. Woooooow lol I think being fucked up on the job is like an industry mandated thing hahahaha everyone at my job is on/was doing drugs and getting wasted

I think it has alot to do with our hours, we start at 4am so most people there are up and running by 3am, Im the one of the few who arrives there all sleepy And tired while most are fucking Climbing on the walls like some coked out 80`s era spiderman

But I love my hours im out by 12pm and have the rest of the day to do whatever

12. Haha damn same at my place I used to wake up at 3 pm and go in at 4pm and work until 1 a.m. Being a small town nothing was open so not shit to do

13. I would not want to work or buy meat from any of those places if I absolutely didn't have to.

14. I've always gotten my meat from those places... Unless ur buying the usda choice most of the shit is mixed with pink slime anyways...
    Ps I haven't got meat from SAMs club actually.

It's all just one big conspiracy

15. thanks for the replies guys, i know the OP was rediculously long, ive got a knack for doing that lol
    ive done a bit of talking to employee in both smiths and safeway
    ive mostly decided against sams unless they are currently looking for a cutter apprentice because that would get me started immediately but otherwise i think sams is out
    so now its more or less between smiths and safeways, so while im waiting for my piss to clear up ill scope out the two and see which one i like better i guess, i think safeway may be better quality meat and will probably pay more, but their lighting is pretty dark, over the course of a couple years do you think that would contribute to depression or would it simply set the stage for a more calm environment?

16. Well good luck with your job bro

LOL Im not too sure about that lighting question but if anything Id say its all in your mindset dude