Same sex marriage

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by tokin', Jul 18, 2011.

1. What is your opinion on it? Should it be legal? Illegal?

I really don't was what the big deal about it is. I hate how some straight people feel the need to hate on it I mean why should people care so much about it? Is two men or two women getting married really affecting your personal life that much? I'm bringing this up because there have been several instances at my work place where some people (mostly religious) seem to make durrogatory(sp?) comments about people or even businesses "supporting queers" and I just hold my tounge (I am straight by the way). It's not like gay people are running the streets raping straight people.

2. i'm not gay, but i have no problem with gay marriage!! i mean if they are not hurting me or any one else then why should they not be allowed to? they're not really doing anything to you or bothering you, yet you feel the need to interfere with their lives and make them miserable!!

3. It amazes me how this is even an issue. Of course they should be given rights, this is America goddamnit. The argument that it would "ruin the sanctity of marriage" is bullshit because 50% of marriages today end in divorce. Shit straight people can't get it right, maybe gay people will. Anyway I could go on forever on this topic but I'll end it here :)

4. i cant believe this is still a problem.

5. Ignorant people hate everything out of the norm. Gays are not ordinary people to the ignorant and unfortunately people like you and I have tolerate their ignorance. If you need to lash out in reference to comments co-workers make it would probably be best to do it outside of work. Wouldn't want to lose your job over their stupidity.

6. The fact that this and racism are still '' problems'' with some people, is really just hindering the evoloution of the human race.

7. In San Diego, I am in a weird place with respects to gay marriage. The city has one of the more openly gay places in America (Hillcrest) but also a ton of social conservatives and the Proposition 8 support here was very significant. I'm a baseball and hockey player and the guys I play sports with are almost all 100% against the legalization of gay marriage.

It's all in homophobia and religion where the anti-marriage sentiment comes from. It's not logic or intellectual understanding.

And as a straight guy who has no desire to be a married man any time soon (though my GF would have something to say about that...especially with all the freaking wedding shows/movies she watches not to mentions those stupid Kardashians), I think that anyone who wants to be married to another consenting adult should be able to do so.

Also, I coached a kid who was adopted by a couple of gay men when he was 12 and had been suffering in the system and was sent to anger-management counseling and was on the short path to prison. He's 16 now, he's an A student, incredibly happy and well-adjusted, on his way to a college scholarship and he recently applied for his first job: busboy at Hooters. Not only did the two gay men not turn him gay, but they completely turned this kid's life around.

Or we can continue to force gays to live as second class citizens while everyone in Hollywood makes a mockery of marriage...

8. Exactly

I can't either, I used to work with a guy who claimed that he used to be an ordained minister and the subject of same sex relationships came up. He said something along the lines of how gays can't reproduce and keep the world going and then the usual "it's a sin"...I just kinda stared at him and changed the subject lol.

Lol, I would never lash out at someone at work, but I always wonder how they would react if I said something like "why does it bother you so much"

So is anyone on GC actually against same sex relationships? I'd like to hear a legitimate reason :)

9. #9 hippie flip, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
    People should be able to do whatever the he'll they want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. As far as I'm concerned gay people aren't harming anybody. Some people really get offended that some people are sexually interested in the same sex? Out of all the worlds problems this is what they address? To me it just shows how narrow minded they are. People need to learn to stay out of other peoples business and not try to inflict their "rules" on something that does not concern them whatsoever.

10. Live and let live.

Marriage was once upon a time mainly a religious matter, as some people point out. But it's NOT anymore. Now it's more of a legal matter because being married to somebody opens up new rights. So by not allowing gay to marry, you're stripping them of rights other "normal" people can have, which is wrong

If two people love and care about eachother, how the fuck is the government going to say "well, we need to regulate and control this"? It should be legal in my opinion. And fuck somebody who says otherwise, in my opinion

11. Marriage is stupid in general if you ask me, especially in a religious context. Each to their own though, let the people eat cake (regardless of sexual orientation).

12. it is rather ridiculous, honestly atm all laws seem stupid to me but i know some are needed. however gay marriage is not harmful so idk why there would be a law for or against it.

as for reproducing, i thin we can afford to lose some, we're stretchin resources hard enough

13. #13 Mogwai, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
    Normally I would agree.. But it's so relevant to society now. Marrying somebody opens up a whole door of legal rights that can be very important for you and your partner.

Marriage within religious context is completely dumb in my opinion, but then again I'm not religious. Honestly, the government needs to stay out of marriage matters when it comes to giving them rights. If you wanna get married at a church for whatever purpose, go for it, but don't expect different treatment from the government. If you DO want special treatment from the government in your relationship for various reasons, you should have to go through civil union.

14. I understand all that dude, I just think most of the rights themselves are stupid.

15. They sort of are but a few of them really help people out so I can't say much. I know the tax benefits make managing a household together a little simpler and the insurance benefits are also helpful.

The biggest thing is when your spouse is dying in a hospital/has passed away you get a lot more say than you would if you weren't married. Sometimes you HAVE to be married just to get to see your loved one in their last times.. Which is sorta fucked up that it's like that at all and I don't quite understand it.. But it lets you do that which is a big plus

16. I'm all for gay people getting married. They should be just as miserable as us married straight people I say! Equality at it's finest, misery loves company ;)

17. I think it's hilarious that people cite "not being able to populate the world" as a reason for being against gay marriage. I mean come on, dude, places in Africa and India have starving people because of overpopulation, places like China have laws against having more than one child because of overpopulation, the world has plenty of problems that are caused by overpopulation, we don't need to worry about under-populating because "them homos can't have kids!" Rationalization for religion/homophobia at its finest.

18. yea it's crazy in china!! people are hired to jam as many people as they can into a train, they literally have to push and squeeze them in!! and anti-gay marriage people are worried about repopulating??:rolleyes::confused:

19. Ideally I don't think it's the government's place to condone or endorse any marriage or suggest a married couple are in any way different to an unmarried couple who have decided to make a verbal life long commitment. But given that that probably won't happen I'd go for same sex marriage, or destroy the institution marriage all together and make everything civil partnerships. If they can't share it no-one can have it.

I don't really see why anyone asks heterosexual people their opinion on it or put it to vote, it's really nothing to do with them. How it's still a nation-wide debate is beyond me. That said i'll live either way.