Salt Water?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Mikayote, Apr 18, 2009.

1. So a couple of weeks ago I got introduced to using salt water in a bong, and I was wondering what you all thought of it. I searched the boards for other posts talking about this, but didn't find anything. Here's the story...

So a few weeks ago I was going to my friend K's house. We had some pretty serious plans (get stoned, grab munchies, watch Space Balls), and I showed up a bit early. K is in his kitchen, standing over a boiling pot mixing sea salt in. I ask him what the hell he's doing, and he tells me that he picked up a new trick from a friend of his in Nebraska. Still not sure where he's going with this, I pack a bowl in a pipe, and watch him pouring the salt water into a plastic cup, and then putting it in his freezer.

We smoke the bowl, then a joint, and forget all about the salt water in the freezer.

The next day, K calls me over so that he can show me this new trick. When I get there, he pulls the cup out of the freezer, and pours it into his 10 inch pot bellied bong. Because of all the salt, the water is thick and slushy, like a 7-11 icey.

K claims that the salt in the water will help filter the hit even more than plain water, and because of the salt and the lower temperature, will stay cold much longer.

It did seem to work pretty well, and I've tried it a few times since, but I always seem to remember to do this when I'm already stoned.

Has anyone else heard of using salt water in their bong? Any experience that says if it's worth the trouble or not?

2. seems like a good idea for keeping the water colder, im not sure it would filter anything though.

3. i've thought about using salt water in a bong because I'm going to the beach soon I may try it

4. wasnt there a story on here about a guy who put saltwater in his bong and ended up in the hospital???

5. LOL. Bullshit!

6. sorry to revive a dead-ish post but this is a pretty interesting idea. I have always preferred cold water in bongs, and in this case it seems like the salt would lower the freezing point of the water by a lot.

Anyone know if there's any bad side-effects, cons, etc?
    Also, how much salt should be added?

7. Yo what happens if u put soda-water?

8. just use normal water

9. Will salt water help to keep it cleaner? or break up the resin?

10. Salt will dissolve in water. You would need alcohol (or fat) to have it able to dissolve the tars.

11. My friend put soda and poprocks in his and died.

12. #12 oldskoolgrower, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
    Your friend is wrong. Having more dissolved solids (salt) in the water makes it a worse filtering agent. You want it to be as pure as possible.

Tell your friend to stay in school and study harder.

(and yes I know this is an ancient thread, just sayin')

13. Should have mentioned I was being sarcastic regarding this guy :(

14. Hot water in bongs is my preferred method.

15. Wouldn't salt water ruin the flavor of some high quality marijuana?