Sad seedling

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by Kaplow23, Mar 10, 2019.

1. #1 Kaplow23, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Hello guys! Long time reader, and first time poster. Enjoyed the community so I decided to join. With a question I have, I cannot seem to find an answer so here I am. I am 9 days in my first grow ever, and the 3rd node as I understand it is starting to come in, although tiny right now. The first set of dominate leaves came in and they are sagging kinda heavily. Like it’s being over watered? I water/feed the seedling and within 2 hours she’s all happy and perked up, but by the end of the day she is sagging again. The wool is ALWAYS wet. Even if I don’t water for 3 days the top stays moist. But when I go that long she sags, so I feed and for a brief time she stays up and happy. I feel like maybe her roots are past the rock wool so the water just sits? Today’s she’s gotten worse and the plant seems to have bright green leaves, normal for new development? Maybe I’m over thinking. I could just use some advice and wanna know how I’m doing from some experienced growers. Below is a list of specifications/environment.

DWC setup.
    Hydroton medium.
    Rock wool permanently used and germinated in.
    Any water used is RO and PH’d to 5.8-6.0
    Anything the plant is touching, consuming or near has been soaked in mentioned water for a 24 hours.
    Room is 79-80F lights on - 72F lights off.
    Humidity is 36-42%
    Fan is light breeze on plant to create movement, and always on.
    Water temp is 71F and air pump location room is 70F.
    I have a full spectrum 1000w LED light which WAS at 28” away but had pretty good stretch so I lowered it to 20” and growth took off. I just gave her the first .8 EC feeding with the general hydroponic trio and recommended dosage, with Cal Mag as well This morning 5am - and as I type this now at 1am the next day the 3rd node popped up. Super fast growth I feel like? Water level is 1” from the basket and the bubbles are sprinkling the bottom of the basket. Bucket, air hose, and hydroton is all situated to allow zero light in bucket.

Attached Files:

2. Light is to close

3. Leaves look too dark green, EC 0.8 for a seedling seems very high to me but i run aero. Check the rockwool isnt saturated, most issues come down to overwatering or overfeeding. Dont think its the light being too close, its not 1000w if it pulls185w from the wall ;)

4. Thank you everybody. I’ll back off the nutes by 25% and see what happens. Maybe a little less calmag as well. Nitrogen is probably a little high, yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. A seedling doesn’t need any nutes. WAY to small.

6. Really? I keep hearing mix advice. Some say do, some say don’t.

7. [​IMG]

Nice and perked up now. Growing speed increased, still look a little dark? I’m on day 14 today. [​IMG]

8. I use 5% for my aeroponics set up for the first week, absent a medium or the shell itself, the plant doesnt have anything to eat. Ive done twice now from paper towel directly into an aero system. Im definitely not a pro, but Ive not lost a seedling this way either

9. Hmm okay, I germinated in the rockwool, in my bucket and seemed to do fine. Although I do feel like she’s small for being 2 weeks in now.

10. [​IMG]
    3 1/2 weeks in. She’s looking happy and healthy to me. She gets a little droopy at night. Just did my first topping ever as well. Chopped the 4th node off, above the third!

11. Do you have an extract there?