S&P downgrades U.S. credit rating for first time in history

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Limecat, Aug 6, 2011.

1. #61 Verdurous, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    That's not really what I was saying, but ok, if you say that's what I believe then I guess I do. What else do I believe mister?

2. You said low taxes are to blame for our deficits, when it's clearly a poor economy and too much government spending.

3. You can keep trying to play that card, but it's not going to win you any arguments. And while your short little posts may be snarky, they aren't going to help prove your side when you don't elaborate on any of your points and don't back those points up with any kind of evidence whatsoever. You made some claims, they were rebutted, the ball is in your court and you dropped it cuz you're just pointing fingers. :hello:

4. #64 Verdurous, Aug 6, 2011
    No, I was more pointing out how tax cuts add to the deficit unless other changes are also made. The idea of taking away from the government to enable the government to fix their lack of money doesn't really make sense by itself.

5. #65 Verdurous, Aug 6, 2011
    I planned on making my rebuttal later. I'm on my iTouch which puts me at a disadvantaged position to refute you.

6. Can we at least hang all the economists/bankers/officials/experts/advisors that knowingly dug us even deeper into the shit rather than facing the music?

I mean what the sense in in being shit on every day of our lives if we don't get to have the barbaric satisfaction of revenge afterwards?

7. Tax cuts without reducing spending sure, if expenditures start to outweigh revenues...but why don't they want to reduce any spending? How have they convinced people (well, not everyone) that somehow that's what we need to do: maintain reckless spending and steal more money from people? :confused:

Fed creates bubble, bubble bursts, fed creates bubble, bubble bursts.

[insert partisan nonsense]

Repeat.

And here we are...

8. I completely agree that spending needs to be cut. I never argued for the opposite.

9. Fair enough :smoke:

10. [​IMG]

Just replace the black people with the economists/bankers/officials/experts/advisors. Fine by me :D

11. 99% of the people don't even realize that inflation is pure theft. It's one of the most insidious devices ever stumbled upon by those in power to steal the wealth of the people without them even knowing.

12. But it's "mainstream" because the Gov, Paul Krugman, and Keynes told me so.

"I" however an extremist. :laughing:

~ End The Fed ~​

13. What a lovely circlejerk I've stumbled onto...

First of all, the debt agreement was a catalyst for the credit downgrade, no doubt. Obviously the move to downgrade didn't suddenly pop up when the bill was passed; our shitty economy, apparent inability to pay down our debt, etc. provided heavy support for such a move.

What the debt ceiling debacle showed the world, though, is that the US government is unable to make even the slightest of moves to decrease its deficit without histrionics on both sides of the aisle. Congress did not pass some incredible plan; the savings that will be made represent a sliver off of our projected debt in the next 15ish years. Not only are the spending cuts not that impressive, congress demonstrated that it is throwing down the only other deficit-fighting weapon out of total partisan horseshit.

What the fuck is this "no taxes" mantra? Sure, don't increase corporate taxes; provide loopholes for small businesses filing claims as individuals, but taking raising individual tax rates for those earning $1mil+ per year off the table? That just shows we're not actually serious about any of this debt-reduction stuff.

Democrats suck because of their imprudent fiscal practices and support of a bloated defense budget, Republicans suck because of their imprudent fiscal practices and support of a bloated defense budget, and Tea Partierssuck because they don't have a fucking clue as to what's a realistic reform strategy and what's a goddamn three-ring-circus that's going to further derail the economy. Fuck the Tea Party!

And to anyone spewing this "you're advocating class warfare" bs, go piss up a flagpole. I believe in shared sacrifice and by God, the rich have not come close to feeling any sort of legitimate hurt in this economy that's absolutely destroying the middle and lower classes.

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUrtfr2-3Eo]Ron Paul On The AAA Rating Downgrade To AA - YouTube[/ame]

15. Aren't we defaulting right now?

16. #76 Verdurous, Aug 6, 2011
    You mean you think we defaulted AND raised the debt ceiling? That's skill...

17. Fuck the Tea Party? They are the only ones who want a balanced budget. LOL They are the only ones who want to stand up to the Military Industrial Complex. Hell the "Godfather" of the Tea Party (Ron Paul) got us an Audit of the Fed and hopefully a more in-depth one to come.

Yeah, fuck them - they're stupid because my TV told me so. :laughing:

It's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem for sure. We could fund the exact same government we had under Clinton and have a $400B yearly surplus - right now.

Increasing taxes on "the rich" could generate revenue but it won't. Those "rich" people will shift their money to avoid paying them. A true rollback of the Obama/Bush tax cuts would be an increase on EVERYONE, not just "the rich". Sure, increasing taxes on everyone would generate additional revenue but I don't think that would go over too well in our current climate, economy, housing market, etc. Moreover, giving more money to the feds so they can piss it away seems like an awful idea. They currently steal $2-2.5 TRILLION/year and revenues are 'down'. BUT again, that is enough money to fund the government we had just 10-12 years ago and we'd have a $400B/year surplus.

Decreasing spending WOULD reduce the deficit, for sure.

Again, people talk about rolling back tax cuts, only on the rich mind you, but never talk about rolling back spending. If they really cared about getting our financial house in order they'd roll back spending tremendously, starting with the overseas militarism.

Why haven't we? Is the Tea Party the President? You know, the Commander-in-chief. Obama holds the record for largest military "budget" in history at a time when people here at home are struggling. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Here are words I never thought would come out of my mouth, be typed at my hand or even thought in my brain: I agree with Cenk Uygur.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bybOdn5-yD0]Fund War, Cut Social Security & Medicare - Senator - YouTube[/ame]

Obama's Mentor, Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT), is arguing that entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare need to be cut so that the U.S. can continue spending massive amounts of money on 'defense (aka wars in Iraq and Afghanistan).

Cenk ends the video on a good fact/thought...worth a watch.

It's all political theater and demagoguing in Washington DC.

There are no cuts and there are no tax increases. They will kick the can down the road until the entire house of cards collapses. Unfortunately, that's probably what will happen as our current debt and obligations are unsustainable regardless of tax rates. They might fuck people out of Social Security as there is no money set aside for them anyway. Cenk mentions the $2.5 Trillion in SS but that money is gone, *poof* vanished, as the Gov has already spent every penny. There is a filing cabinet with $2.5 Trillion in Gov IOU's, that's it.

I find is sickening that anyone can support the Gov destroying the Dollar and guaranteeing that the social programs they claim to love go away permanently, for everyone.

"To close the long-term entitlement gap, the U.S. economy would have to grow by double digits every year for the next 75 years." - Ron Paul

But remember, the "mainstream" Keynesians, Big Gov, and Fed Apologists are right. I mean, look at the wonderful job they've done over the past decades. Everyone else who calls them on their bullshit is an "extremist", a "terrorist", an idiot, etc.

18. On the dollar, yes we* are.

*, The Federal Reseve

19. Peter Schiff, dropping knowledge...as usual.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4VgOXvESGo]Peter Schiff on the Debt Ceiling: 07/28/11 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvwqX6o69Iw]Debt Ceiling Theatrics, U.S. Economy Back in Recession - YouTube[/ame]

Just released:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgNLTb58K_Y]S & P AA+ rating on U.S. Sovereign Debt not Low Enough - YouTube[/ame]

20. O rly? If Tea Party supporters devoted a quarter of the time they take bashing welfare to generating a plan to cut military spending then we'd be in better shape. Instead they went along with this John Wayne line in the sand bullshit of no return from Bush-era tax cuts and directly contributed to the debacle of a debt debate that we witnessed.

Please get the fuck off your high horse and stop pigeonholing anyone who disagrees with you as some CNN/MSNBC/FOX sycophant. You embarrass yourself.

Clinton also operated under different tax rates than those we have now, increasing his ability to spend w/o debt The Tax Foundation - Comparing Income Taxes under Bill Clinton and George Bush, but who said I wanted the exact same government we had under Clinton? I want a government that doesn't throw billions upon billions at overseas conflicts and spends more of that money at home to ensure that our economic machine is running as efficiently as possible (and no, that's not a call for national deregulation; there's such a thing as a socially optimal equilibrium).

Jesus, is that what you tell yourself? Tax loopholes exist, convoluted accounting exists, but you're just bullshitting yourself if you believe that the rich are so sophisticated that a tax increase on them wouldn't generate greater government revenues, ceteris paribus.

Why oh why would we raise taxes on everyone? When was that ever suggested in this thread? If anything tax breaks should be given to the lower and middle classes as a means to stimulate the economy - would do a helluvalot more than a similar break for the rich.

A defense of Keynesian economics is not inherently a defense of Obama or his policies. It's just kind of sad that time and time again you're confronted with individuals that don't fall into your precisely-defined picture of what those who disagree with you are supposed to look like, yet you can't change your tune at all. Your mind is just as closed as any slob with his eyes glued to MSM programming.