S&P downgrades U.S. credit rating for first time in history

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Limecat, Aug 6, 2011.

1. If they caved to "the teabaggers," why is it the majority of the Tea Party disapproved of the bill? Pretty funny how someone can cave to your side, yet you still don't get what you want.

"Cmon baby let me PIITB"
    "No!"
    "Please!"
    "No!"
    "Get your ass in line!"
    "No!"
    "Alright fine, I'll cave, have it your way. I'll just PIITB."
    "?!!?!??!?"

2. Easy... the progressive talking head statists told them that is true.

Just some Alinsky tricks:

13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.

In reality the Tea Party didn't get a damn thing as it's just another blank check for Government to recklessly spend another $2.4 Trillion without any cuts.

Oh well, let them continue to wallow in their ignorance and the continued destruction of the dollar.

3. Yeah, put the tea party and their whole "NO NEW TAXES!!!!!!!" fit was a large part of the reason why the debate turned so ugly in the first place. The tea party wanted more spending cuts, but they still didn't want to increase taxes on the wealthy or create any new revenue.

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEP8cQF-QC4]‪Ron Paul to Congress: If Debt Is the Problem, Why Do You Want More of It?‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

5. Increasing taxes could generate revenue but it won't. Those "rich" people would shift their money to avoid paying them. A true rollback of the Obama/Bush tax cuts would be an increase on EVERYONE, not just "the rich". Sure, rolling back taxes on everyone would generate additional revenue but I don't think that would go over too well in our current climate, economy, housing market, etc. Moreover, giving more money to the feds so they can piss it away seems like an awful idea. They currently steal $2-2.5 TRILLION/year and revenues are 'down'. BUT, that is enough money to fund the government we had just 10-12 years ago and we'd have a $400B/year surplus.

Decreasing spending WOULD reduce the deficit, for sure.

All political theater.

6. creating jobs would reduce the deficit and put america to work

7. So is that one person $10 Billion richer now or what?

8. Correct. And raising taxes does not create jobs.

9. How many times does it have to be said and explained?? Raising taxes, on the rich or otherwise, isn't going to fix any problems!

The Tea Party wants the government to be held accountable and to stop spending so much. The people they helped put into office weren't put there to cave like everyone else before them has, they were put there specifically to STOP the runaway spending. If the establishment wanted to play chicken with them and the People, that's up to them. They could have stopped playing these games but they wanted to keep everything as is, they wanted the Tea Partiers to "get their asses in line," and to stop trying to do what they were elected to do.

The class warfare bullshit is just as childish and pointless as the Tea Party hating bullshit. None of it is based in fact, none of it is logical, all of it is based on division and hatred. You go ahead and keep thinking the Tea Party is responsible for the problems our government has, when you're hauling ass down the road in your car and your brakes fail to stop you before you hit a wall you can blame the brakes for causing the crash as well :rolleyes:

10. Raising taxes enough would put our government back in the black. That's a problem. Lowering taxes is why our deficit is so large. lol Without taxes the government can't pay for itself.

11. Good bumper sticker slogan. :hello:

12. What one person? Carlos Slim lost $6.7 Billion last week. I didn't hear about anyone making a killing.

You saw everything down, even metals last week, I bet people were margin called and had to cash-out their metals to pay up.

13. #53 Verdurous, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    No, I read somewhere that someone did something where they were basically betting $1Billion in liquid assets the the US would be downgraded. I will have to look for it.

14. #54 zpyro, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
    Raising taxes enough? Have you calculated how much "enough" is? Did you miss what I just quoted in the previous post?

Theoretically, yes, if the government simply stole more $ from people, it would be "back in the black." Just like if I simply stole from people to cover my expenditures I can't otherwise afford, I would also be "in the black."

Lowering taxes is NOT why the deficit is so large, spending money we don't have is why we are in debt. I will never, ever understand how one could argue that the reason the government is broke is because it doesn't confiscate enough money from people. Complete horseshit. When I can't cover my bills and I have a job that should be able to cover them, it's not because I don't make enough money, it's because I spend too much. The government takes enough of OUR money (remember it's NOT the government's money!) to cover what it should be covering; its irresponsibility in managing its finances should not be shouldered by the People in the form of more of their money being taken from them.

'But-but-but you could just make more money!'
    Sure, and if we're using the class warfare ideas of taxing the rich to cover the gap, I should go pick up loose change from the floor at the mall and everything will be A-OK. Right? :rolleyes:

"Without taxes the government can't pay for itself."
    Duh. And your point is....?

Well, your point is irrelevant. Nobody is arguing that the government shouldn't collect any taxes at all. Nobody is arguing that the government shouldn't get enough tax revenue to cover its necessary expenditures.

15. #55 Verdurous, Aug 6, 2011
    I bumped the thread. It's the Billion Armageddon one or whatever.

16. Who would take that bet? Obama and Geithner? Everyone else knew it was inevitable.

Here's why: The President said if we don't raise the debt ceiling we will default. That is saying "hey, unless you loan us MORE money we can't pay you what we already owe."

I think it's pretty nice they left us with AA+.

17. You have very serious misunderstandings about what taxes are used for and why the deficit is large. You need to do some research.

18. Sounds like extortion to me.

"Give me more of your money OR ELSE!!"

Isn't that what Pakistan was threatening to do if we cut off some of their foreign aid?

19. #59 Verdurous, Aug 6, 2011
    No, actually. That's not accurate and don't judge people based on a single post you read from them. Do your own research, buddy.

20. The fact that you believe raising taxes will help anything shows how clueless you are. We are currently being taxed far too much in this country, and that taxation only takes wealth from the population that would have gone towards productive businesses, hiring more employees, increased consumer spending (which also leads to more productive and expanding businesses, also more jobs for everyone). Instead of our money being used for those purposes, it goes towards useless government programs, unnecessary policing of the world through our military, the war on drugs, interest on debts, etc. Excessive taxing which results in unproductive spending by the government is one of the main reasons we are in our current situation, and you advocate as a solution, taxing even more?

Try some research, buddy.