Rusty layer on top of soil?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Fukkthemainstream, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Hello. I am in the home-stretch of the flowering stage, just waiting for some more red hairs and cloudier trichomes. Today, I have noticed that there is a layer of rust-coloured...something, atop the soil of my potted plants. My plants are in a mixture of coconut husk and potting soil. The most coco is at the bottom of the pots, and tapers off toward the top. I don't really have a watering schedule. As it is an outdoor grow, it depends on the weather, which has been quite wonky lately. I'm in Southern Ontario, very humid. There has been a lot of dew overnight, the past few days. I haven't watered in at least 2 days. There is no discolouration on the stems...yet.
    Any thoughts? Should I be worried?

Thanks,
    Cheyenne

-Will post photos, if needed.

2. the better the pics the better suggestions you can get,
    sounds like mold, same chit you see on a cow pond,
    if it is red mold don't worry too much, it will not effect your plants this late in the season.!!

3. I know, my plants are in pots that are too small, but 'tis the way it is for this year.

It has just appeared this morning. Hopefully it is not harmful.

Attached Files:

4. looks like a rust colored fungus, not a problem just looks bad, let the top layer of 'soil' dry out and it will disappear.!!
    if it does 'go away' it will probably re-appear when dew or rain returns.

i like the poultry netting on your pots, great way to keep critters from digging in them.!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phew. Last year, I got white powdery mildew at about this same stage, so I'm super paranoid right now. Lol Squirrels ripped out my first seedlings from this season, so the chicken wire was a must. It has worked beautifully on all of my potted plants.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 old shol4evr, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    delete

7. Not bone meal, but blood meal. Not on the cannabis though, only on some of my other gardens. I actually got it because I heard that the scent might deter the squirrels. Lol Just brought around a lot of cats. The squirrels still dig up all of my shit.