Russet mites

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kidcannabis4, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Currently have 4 plants in 3 seperate containers in 36x36x 42, 200watt metal halide a little bit more than a foot above 3 seedlings. One of which is a Barney's farm Critical Kush in a 1 gal pot of coco coir and 2 bag seed of supposed OG kush in a single 1 gal container. The last one is an orange fruitbound that had some russet mite invading it so it had to go thru rough and i mean ROUGH ass treatment.

But since then the plant has begun to vegetate and has new, promising, lush unperturbed growth. I have since cleaned my grow area and used bleach cleaner to clean my tent before moving the babies and the recovering plant in.

Now i realize all plants are different and each cultivar has specific dietary and metabolic needs and processes, however with that in mind, a couple days ago i had seen what may have appeared to be russet mite bumps or "blistering" on the new growth of the 2nd seedling in the pot with 2 seedlings in it.

[​IMG]
    The two (hopefully) girls as you guys can see #2 isnt growing as fast as id hoped but #1 has got some exponential growth to her.

A closer look at both of their surfaces tho, #2 has some bumpage going on to her while #1 has flat surfaces on its leaves. Note: Critical Kush has the same flat surface as #1

[​IMG]
    #2 with visble bumps

[​IMG]
    #1 with flat surface

My question to those experienced or passing by:

Mites or naw?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I find bugs on backside, along veins. white spots = eggs. Black spots = mites.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Looks like a fungus gnat infestation and not spider mites.

4. Why are they in the same pot?

5. Are those insects all over your yellow fly paper? If so, holy shit, that's a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. This particular grow is an experimental one, through some data collection and experiences ive seen double seed grows give more yield per plant so im testing that theory out and furthering my own research on it.

7. Yeah i had a fungus nat infestation but they didnt do any harm to my grow whatsoever, if anything they were just a nuisance so i got fly paper to disrupt the life cycle.

8. UPDATE: turns out the lil guy/girl was growing funky bumps on its leaves. Still no identifiable reason as to why, but further growth has evened out and the bumps still remain as some sort of defect I would say. Any thoughts people??

9. It's because your roots are being eaten.

10. I’ve never once seen it happen.

FWIW.

J

11. Ithey are white little grubs near the top of soil. Roots are more fresh and easy to eat. I use grow bags because you can easily pull the side and see if grubs or gnats fly out.

12. Russet mites are microscopic. To identify them you need a scope.

They are also hard to identify because they can be in the soil or on the backs of the leaves or a combination of both.

By microscopic, I mean you literally cannot see them with the naked eye.

13. Russet mites as in spider mites? Sorry i may be combining the two. I onow for a fact you can spider mites.

14. Russet mites and spider mites are 2 separate species.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Update: trying to find root cause of odd growth. Some information to share, couple grows ago i poured under half a cap of A into B nutrient by accident (felt like a moron when i realized what i had done.)

[​IMG]
    Last fed 2 days ago, new growth seems a little discoloured, too light. Older leaves have discolouration (browning?). Browning on edge of leaves primarily. Heres to hoping its not lockout bc its new coco.

[​IMG]
    This is the double seed single pot grow with the leaves showing discolouration in the center and edges of the leaves the crinkling of the leaves affected from before i believe have gotten a smidge worse than from previous pics but could be the growth affecting shape.

[​IMG]
    These are the only spots where discolouration occurs in this particular grow.

Side note: critical kush isnt growing as fast as the other two, not sure if farmer error, bad seed, or genetics.

Any and all advise, questions, comments are more than welcomed

16. Just to add, critical kush was doing fantastic until i fed her, leves were flat and healthy then a few days into feeding something mustve happened, line of nutrients is emerald harvest, with photosynthesis plus for beneficial organisms. Prior feeding was seedling feed and let them grow fro a little, figured i could skip the transplant feed week and go ahead with early veg feed since to me it looked like they were reay for but i suppose not. How do you guys interpret all this?