Running out of grow space HELP!!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Col Krumpet, Dec 30, 2011.

1. So I'm working on my first grow and its going well.....to well in fact and I've just about reached max space available. I just checked them and had to save one from burning up having grown into the light.

They're in their second week of a six week flower but I definitely do not have the vertical space for them to go another four weeks if they keep growing up at their current rate. I'm using a closet for my grow box but it has a low ceiling maybe 7 feet and I have my light pulled up as tight to it as I can get it so say 6 1/2 feet with light and hood.
    I'm growing three plants, one is a shorty so she's no problem but the other two are are nearing 6 feet plus (as I said one has already hit the light).
    I'ma a total noob so any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. vertical growth will be 2-3 times the height it was when you switched it .... I see growth slowing down in week three noticeably, and by week 4 they are done growing vertical.

3. Oh wow..awesome. So just keep the buds out of the light for the next week and all should be well.
    I was getting a bit worried. I have all kinds of horizontal growth room so no worries there.
    Much appreciated. I feel much better :hello:

4. Generally you can expect 35-40% of the flowering period to include stretching. Just take this into account and you can guesstimate the amount of time they will stretch for. Depending on what strain they are (if they are indica or sativa dominant) and the breeders notes you can expect stretching for anywhere from ~2-7 weeks.

5. The tops don't *have* to be right under the light to finish, long as they have foliage that is soaking up the light. A friend just ran into this issue with a landrace in his room that refused to stop growing until it just about hit the ceiling.... he just bent the top around the light and kept as much of her underneath it and she finished off just fine.

Keep notes on this so next time you know to induce flowering a bit sooner in order to hit that sweet spot.

6. Good advice, thank you :D

I only vegged them for four weeks due to amazing growth and didn't want to run into the this very problem so they wouldn't grow twice as large in veg in another week and them three times as large in flower buuuuuuuuuuuut......now I'm thinking only a 3 to 3 1/2 week veg may be in order for the next grow.
    Definitely gonna be making a record about this so I can plan better for the next one.