Running Away (any NO.CAL. growers please read)

Discussion in 'General' started by so.flo.zach, Aug 27, 2009.

1. A lot of you are going to read this, shake your head, and think I'm a stupid teenager, but I'm honestly out of ideas.

I'm 18 in my first year of college. I live with my mom. It's just me and her. She's been unemployed going on 2 years now, can't find any work. I have a job at a shitty restaurant busting my ass doing EVERYTHING the manager does but I get paid 1/2 as much ($7.25) I try to get as many hours as possible (20-25) but it doesn't even come close to how much I need to be making to pay the mortgage, electric, water, etc.

My house is under foreclosure and we're planning on being evicted within 4 months (Just in time for Christmas!) I'm majoring in Business in college. My plan was to get my bachelors then move out to Northern California and start capitalizing in the marijuana industry. I'm a strait A student, very determined. But honestly, my life is crumbling before my eyes.

The only thing I can think of doing is running away. I'm not going to be able to finish school because I'm going to be homeless within the next year. I have no family in FL. No one to turn to. I have a couple grand to my name and a Honda accord.

I'm planning on selling almost everything I own, saving what I need, and throwing it in my car. The plan is to drive to Northern California and try to find work assisting a grower, living out of my car. If there are any growers reading this in Northern Cali. I will literally work for food, water, and a shower once in a while. I don't eat much either, I'm 5'11" 150lbs. I'd be happy with 3 cans of soup a day in exchange for my services.

I'm looking at this as an apprenticeship. I'll work as many hours as you want me to, I'll bust my ass, and I won't bitch about it. Yes, I have family, in upstate NY.(I come from an Irish Catholic family) But they have cut off all communication from me on the count of my agnostic beliefs.

I'm at my wits end. I'm so sick of this bullshit, all the stress I have to deal with on top of school and work. I need help.

2. Good luck man

3. can you pick me up on the way?

4. Your ditchin your moms in her time of need? Messed up if you ask me man.

5. #5 Soap, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009
    Cant find work in 2 years? Tell your mom to suck up her pride and get a minimum wage job, its not that hard to supplement your income with a job that might suck while trying to find something more gratifying.

You say you work at a restaurant; ask them if they have any positions for your mom, BAM, you've doubled your income right there. It may seem 'lame' to work with your mom, but running away is the cowards way out.

6. Not sure how much posting this will help you bro..... Kinda sketch asking for growers to just let you in on their bussiness and shit, even with services that cheap, marijuana IS still illegal to grow here man.... for most people

7. What can I do? I'm supposed to take care of her making minimum wage, with a full college load? She's a grown woman.

8. Yeah thats pretty naive and stupid.

9. ^^ this.

good luck dude ... but uh... what happens to your mom??

10. I have man, she's a very stubborn woman. No positions open at my restaurant. There's only 8 employees including me.

I know man, I'm just out of ideas. I'm not joking when I say I'm going to be homeless within the next 4-8 months.

11. #11 so.flo.zach, Aug 27, 2009
    She needs to find a job and support herself.

Just like what I've been doing for the both of us, for the past 2 years.

12. go to Mendocino County and find yourself a job mate! you'll get to trim cannabis and smoke it too!

13. I dont know dogg, it sucks but I doubt anything will come of this thread, and it'll probably get closed. Sucks about being homeless, but dude I been there, lots of people have. It sucks, and I wish you luck and hope you find a better alternative.

14. you guys should all just shut up with the life advice. its gonna be easier for someone else to say "stick it out and do this and that" than it is for someone actually goin through all of this
    this kid is obviously looking for a legal grower to help him out
    so, any legal growers looking for help?

15. #15 Soap, Aug 27, 2009
    You think he's the only one in the world with troubles? Were just trying to help by giving advice that has worked for us. Thats how life works, one passes knowledge onto another so they dont make the same mistakes.
    But hey, if you can live with the guilt of abandoning your mother, by running off to grow weed, go right ahead and do what makes you feel better.

How about this, rather than uprooting your whole life, you move to a small apartment near your college and your mom will soon realize what she is doing is stupid and selfish. You wont have to leave college (which would be a stupid move) and you'll be paying the same amount to live on your own. Your mom will wake up from this delusional world she is living in, get a real job, and life will be happy again.

16. I wish you the best if you end up moving out there

17. Why can't your mom find a job? There are literally thousands of jobs available anywhere. Sure, flipping burgers at BK might suck, but it's better than the alternative.

If all else fails, go to Venice Beach like the rest of the "losers" and hold up a sign...

18. Hold on for now.

Your mom is the problem. Although my parents are together, my mom wants a job and can't find one anywhere, and she's been applying all over, mostly at banks though because she has like 10 yrs exp. working at First Canadian Place in Toronto.

Tell her that a minimum wage job might need to suffice. The turnover rate is insane at most fast food joints, so with a little persistence, I think she could land something. Your incomes together could probably pay the bills!

Your question about living with a grower... you remind me of the dude in Alpha Dog that gets kidnapped and starts like trimming the dude's cannabis gardens. I was so jealous, albeit it being a movie. Don't expect much success though, man. I am sure many growers want to do it themselves and keep it out of the limelight (not saying you'd advertise the fact but how would they know?)

If I were a grower in California, I would take you in because I'm just that sort of person. But sadly, I'm not a grower and I live in Canada. It's the thought that counts, man. Have you tried applying at those career centres or job placements businesses?

I wish you luck, man. I know you're 18 and about ready to leave and start living, but you don't want to ditch your mom. Not yet. Try and wait it out to see if she can get a job. What about welfare? There are many options. What was her occupation beforehand?

19. Wow dude, you come on a forum about marijuana which is illegal mostly, and ask for growers to hire your for an apprenticeship?

im not trying to be an asshole, but you gotta keep these things under wrap. just travel up north and eventually you will find a job. you will just have to tough it out in the beginning.

20. I agree that you shouldn't be responsible for taking care of your mom, and it's not fair for her to put you in that position.

But you also sound like you're close to her. You don't have to support her financially, but you don't have to abandon her either.

You need to find a way to move out on your own, but continue on with your degree. Trying to find someone on the internet willing to let you apprentice is... there's just no way it's going to end well.

Many of us have been in your position (18, broke, wanting to move out, go to school, etc). You can move out and be independent without "running away".