Rubbermaid Res- DWC - and Flushing

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by BadAxe, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Ok fellow GCers, I need to get a discussion going. I grew once 16 yrs ago, but it was very uneducated, so I am considering this my real first time grow. I chose to do it with the Lucas Formula, and I chose not to flush at all during my grow, no res changes at all. I am not here to argue the pro's or con's of not flushing, because for my next grow, to compare, I will be flushing every couple of weeks. So this brings me to some questions i have.

I installed a bottling spigot at the bottom of my res (18 Gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck) for easy draining, but the res leaked so I had to abandon it and get another res. So now I have a res that has the holes in the top for the pots, and an access hole for me to add water and nutes. With this setup, I am very confused about how I would do a res change flush.

I imagine I would add a water pump to my res, so I can pump the water out. But, that will leave a little in the bottom correct? And also, any salt or other solids build up will still be in the container as well, correct?

So how do you guys completely flush your res during your grow? I mean, in the beginning its easy, but when the plants are bigger, and you have a huge root mass in your res, and you have a scrog screen in place so you can move the top of your res, how the heck do you completely empty and clean your res before filling it back up with fresh water and nutes?

I can not for the life of me figure out how I would do it. So I need to here from other rubbermaid DWC'ers. How do you flush and clean your res during your grow, especially when you are at the point where you can't really move anything.? Thanks for reading. :smoking:

2. hmmm, after reading a similar question in this forum, it seems like I either need to have a separate res, or try again at installing a drain in the bottom. Well, we will see what you all have to say anyway.

3. I would definitely add a separate rez and attach the two at the bottom of the containers with 3/4" or 1" ebb & flow tub outlets, vinyl tubing, and metal clamps to ensure no leakage. When you pump the solution out of the rez, an inch or two may still be present and cannot be pumped out. One way to remove the rest is to suck it out with a shop vac. Then you can fill with pure water and perhaps some clearex for about an hour, flush that out, then fill with nutrient solution. If you add Drip Clean to your solution from the start, no salts will bind so you will only need to empty the rez and then re-fill with nutrient solution when you flush. The stuff works really well and a small bottle lasts a long time. Peace

4. Thanx. If I go the separate res way, I would need to do it bubble bucket style. I only have a 3 x 3 grow tent, no room for another res in there. But I could do a 3 5 gallon bucket setup, 2 for the plants, one for the res.

Or I can stick with the rubbermaid res, successfully install a drain, and use drip clean. Ok, now i have options. Thanks.

5. So many choices, so little time lol. If you have room outside the tent, you could put the rez out of the tent and pipe it in to 3 or 4 buckets inside, all with plants. Also, having the rez outside the tent makes it really easy to flush, mix nutes in, whatever. I'm sure you will figure something out that works well for you.
    I always had more success in buckets than with multiple plant-site rubbermaid bins. Not sure exactly why that is though..

6. Good afternoon,

Was just strollin by and thought I would put my 2p.

Where your rez is connected to the tubbing-replace the fitting with detachable fittings. Youll have to have 2 identically rez totes with the correct fittings. When your do for a rez change you fill your empty one(let it sit for 24 if its strait from the tap) and add your nuts and balance PH. then just swap em'.

Its a little more work getting the fittings and sealing them correctly buy in the lifespan of a grow it really simplifies rez changes.

7. I like the detachable fitting idea, but that seems like a lot more work than just pumping out solution, then re-filling and being done for the day...

8. #8 Cannible Ox, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
    Yea for one rez its not too much, multiply your rezes and your in business ;)

9. Don't be. It's nice to share ideas like this for everyone to see. Someone could potentially find the solution they have been looking for :)

10. I have mine connected to a single res. Since its sitting on the ground, I cant put anything under it to drain the water into, so, I use a wet/dry shopvac to suck all the water out of the system, then simply pour new water back in. Takes less than 1 minute to suck all the water out!