rosin press tips?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by DrE420, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ok so I just built my diy press..... first press was 1 gram at 180f..... then into the freezer....after about 20 min I wanted to try it..... but it seems like I cant collect it.... like its too thin.... is it too little of an amount to collect? or could I have put too much pressure? could I be using the wrong parchment paper (vegetable)?
    I just tried a second press 3.5g at 210f..... wasn't sure if it would do anything different....looked the same before I set in freezer.... is it the freezer messing it up? should I try and collect directly off press? any tips tricks or advice would be great....

2. What’s the stats on the press?

3. 20 ton harbor freight press... 3x5 1.5'' thick..... 4 120w heaters pid controlled

4. That is way more than enough as I only use a 6 ton press. Can you explain what the freezer is for? I don’t freeze anything and am kinda confused on what you use it for

5. #5 DrE420, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    I figured I would toss in freezer after coming off of 200 degrees to cool off and tack up..... maybe that where I messed up..... could I be putting too much pressure? could plant material be too fresh (14 days off plant)? should I wait 60 days for cure before bud presses?

6. #6 DrE420, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    deleted

7. I stick mine in the fridge to tacky up if it needs it. Are your buds dry when you press? In order to get a return on pressing you need moisture in the buds. I press about 3-4 grams each run and average around 10-20% return depending on the quality of bud I’m using. Try pressing a 1/8 in a little puck. I cut the bottom out of a pill bottle and stuff a 1/8 Ito that. Then I mash it down to create a little hockey puck. After that I press it down to get it as flat as I can. Thennn I press it. I find my best returns on rosin come when I just finish hang drying a plant and am about to put it in a jar to cure

• Like Like x 2
  8. Or you can turn your flower into dry sift and make it even danker!

9. just got done hanging its still got some moisture..... ready for cure... imma try the pill bottle puck and see if that helps......I actually pressed a 3.5g and got same results.... it just is very thin and doesn't want to collect..... I have oil slick ptfe on the way....and 75 and 120 bags to try for flower..... plan on using 25 for hash.... do your plates touch? or does the puck make a little gap? I either think my current parchment is absorbing some of the press....or im using too much pressure and causing it to run thin.... could this be possible?

10. bubble machine be here next week!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. My press is pretty homely. It’s just a harbor freight 6 ton A frame. I used the plates that came with it when I bought it and took a orbital sander to them to flatten em out. To heat them I just stick em in the oven until they hit about 230 then let em cool down to 215 and give em the squeeze checking temps with a 12$ heat gun. I’ve had decent yields since first trying it and was going to venture down the path of heated plates but this works so well and only cost me 80 clams I figured leave well enough alone. If it won’t collect well and is too “soupy” there is probably too much moisture. That happens to me if I press too soon after drying. Have you tried pressing different strains?

12. got it!.... I was using wrong parchment paper and it was leaching into it....all good now!