Roots reggae

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by HerbIsGood, May 17, 2009.

1. Nothing seems to intensify my ganja experience more than listening to some roots reggae.

The chuck and the basslines along with the one drop just combine to create this little ball of musical perfection which reaches deep into my body and moves my soul.

Anybody else dig old roots reggae? Stuff like Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Bunny Wailer (older stuff) Peter Tosh, the Abyssinians, Marley, etc?

2. i dont know what you mean by roots reggae but im more of Sublime, Ziggy and bob Marley fan

3. Roots reggae is like (imo) the original reggae, like the old reggae recordings heavy on the bass and guitar chucking, less on the keyboards and more 'modern' sounds. Stuff like older Marley songs (some you'd know are like Get Up Stand Up, Stir It Up, Natty Dread, So Jah Seh..etc., although his latter songs could also be considered roots), and stuff like Peter Tosh, and older, much less known reggae artists.

Its got that whole slow, irie, laid back take it easy vibe to it, ya know? Great to get high to:smoking:

4. Agreed, and it's strange that no one knows who Peter Tosh is. He's (imo) just like Bob Marley except not famous!

Anyways, I totally agree. I would recommend downloading "The Black Seeds" you won't be disappointed. They're very slow, very chill music :)

5. thanks for the headsup man, I'll check em out:wave::smoking:

6. You should check out my signature and add some roots that you like ^_^

Stephen