Roots poking out the bottom of pot

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by growboxhero12, Sep 15, 2015.

1. So I just transplanted this plant from one of the smaller pots seen in the picture about five days ago into a 2.75 gallon pot and roots are showing out of the drain holes already.... I'm new to this an my last one I had in a 5 gallon pot an she got a little bigger than I wanted,but I never seen it do this. I wanted to try an keep this one smaller but are you forced to transplant when the roots are showing? Is it bad that light can get to the root?This plant is 23 days old thanks for any advice an opinions 🔥💨✌

Attached Files:

2. they are fine...root will 'die' at the exposure point but the rest of it will continue to grow and 'branch out'.

rule of thumb, the visible part of the plant will grow while the roots are able to grow...just because that tip of the root stops growing longer, doesn't mean it hasn't branched out and continues to grow.

check out how 'smart pots' work.

3. Okay thanks Yea that makes sense. I need to figure out a way to water indoors... and a way to clean up the run off what are some common ways of dealing with that? I have a brother in law with an extra pump from a fish tank any ideas? I kinda have this micro grow veg box deal going and it's been a task to utilize the space wisely.

4. #4 growboxhero12, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
    I was really hoping I could finish in the 2.75 gallon pots in the flower box I have 4 seems like they will fit good. Think they will work?

5. A pot that size should limit the plant to around 2-3ft right?

6. No problem with the roots sticking out they will air prune. What size plant are you trying to grow this time?

7. Due to some space limitations I would like to keep the canopy 3ft after stretch so far it is short an thick I'm hoping I can control the stretch a little better this time around

8. Stretch depends on lighting, nutrients and strain. If you want to keep it less then 3 ft I would definitely flower it by 2 ft or less. A 2 gallon pot would be probably the best size pot for that plant. If you find your plant is stretching to much if you put the light to the side of the plant and not over it will stretch less. I often put the light in the middle and put 4 plants around it if my room is vertically challenged.