Roots growing through fabric pot?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cloudsurf420, Jan 11, 2020.

1. #1 cloudsurf420, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Hi all, first time posting and will not be the last. so today i was doing my daily check to make sure all is well, and my girl has started to grow roots through the side of her 3 gal pot. im not an experienced grower only having grown 3 times before but this is something i have never heard or seen before, at first i was worried but at the same time i'm super happy about the amazing root growth. Should i be worried or am I in good shape? EDIT: she has been in the 3 gal for 2 weeks. 20200111_110542.jpg

2. That’s what you want mate. It’s called root pruning. The root hits the air and sends signals back to the plant to send more shoots down. Makes em go daft punk. Harder better faster stronger :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I see, this is interesting I knew that fabric pots helped get air to the roots but I never considered this would happen, thank you for the info I will make sure to do my research. Also sweet 2001 daft punk reference, I love it lol.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I sometimes veg them till they look like that then drop the full pot into a 20L hempy bucket to bloom after another week to root up. Works well and saves having to water it constantly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Canny beat the ol daft punk mate. Most famous people ever that never got identified

• Like Like x 1
  6. I don't think that's supposed to happen. You'd have to keep the bottom of that bag consistently very wet for the roots to push through like that. The air pruning is supposed to happen on the other side of the fabric.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. So I’m standing in the garage smoking a going going thru the forum and come across this thread. I click and start reading thru and enjoyed the daft punk reference. So I know the song and see the daft hands video. Smoking a joint I figure why not and clicked on it. At first I’m like wtf and instantly regret clicking the video. But again I’m smoking so I continue on. Then holly shit mind blown lol. Definitely a different video. Well now the joints gone and video is over. Onto the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Yeah I’ve never seen that either, been in fabric pots for years. do you have the bottom half of your pots covered?

the pruning happens on the other side, as soon as it hits the edge of the soil.
    I don’t know how it grows through the bag into air and light....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Happens to me but not as bad. Pot too small for plant vigor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. same here. I dtw with balanced, and sit in no calcium p and sulphur. A 3 gallon bag will fit in a 3.5 or 5 gallon bucket if you first place a car wash screen in the bottom. I like it because then when they have drunk their nute they can sit and air out with no timing on my part. I don't encourage root growth outside the bag. I don't discourage it either. Ideally I like little white maggot looking pokers pruned by air to behave. 2.5 gallon bags from 247 will fit in the bottom of a 5 or 3.5 gallon bucket without the screen.

11. Agree. Id drop that sucker in a larger pot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I’m really surprised I’ve never seen it happen then.

Got a pic above the pot?

13. ye so i found out today the guy watering her (not me as i was on holiday) was giving like 3 times as much as needed and she was sitting in about a cm of water for a while apparently. I am angry but at the end of the day she is healthy, the roots withered and fell off (worryingly.) she seems to be doing perfectly fine, however i am still concerned. i will update every now and again to report what happens to her as she matures (if it interests anyone to see). fair to say the guy wont be looking after my plants again.

14. don’t get worried they withered away. I’m assuming they were only there in the first place then as it must have been really damp and humid. Enough so for your roots to grow into air.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Personally Id be pissed and worried if the root tips died off. I want as many as possible. To each his own tho.

16. its literally what there supposed to do

8BCF8E81-1667-4FFB-A825-8B736A08CF42.jpeg

4 Proven Advantages of Fabric Pots for Roots

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. yeah no doubt, im just saying dont be worried.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. That's caused by not potting up soon enough. You can still roll that bag down and off the root mass. It will recover and do much better than potting up inside another larger bag. I have tried dropping a 3 gallon into a 10 gallon after I had this happened. The plant stalled and after harvest very few roots actual grew on the outside of the 3 gallon bag. The strain was an auto flower,Red Poison by Sweet seeds.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Id cut the fabric pot off of it, and repot it in a 10 gallon pot. I usually veg in a 5g, and flower in a 15-20 gallon.

• Agree Agree x 1