Roots coming through bottom

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Dayzt, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I have 6 plants under a 400w hps. About 4 days ago, I transplanted them from their starting cups into 6" pots. Today, I checked them, and 2 of them have a small white root starting to poke through the bottom drainage holes...

Since it's only been a short time since repotting them, is it way too soon to repot them again? Does the appearance of these roots at the bottom mean I need to repot right now??

The plants are only 2 weeks and 5 days old and I don't want to give them too much stress but at the same time I don't want to stop them from growing normally....

What should I do??

2. Yea you could transplant them, but really what other options to you have because the sucker will get root bound if all the roots cant grown to anywhere, but just be very careful to keep the rootball in tact when transplanting..They may go into shock and droop a little but just watch em and let us know what your gonna do and stuff...You could by transplanting nutrients I am pretty sure you could find this at wal mart or home depot

3. Hmmmm.... well these plants are very small yet - got some advise on another forum to hold off on repotting since I just repotted them all a few days ago... I repotted by just putting the small peat-moss pots into 6" pots and filling it with promix. The plants really seemed to like it and I watered them in using thier first nute feeding. That was ~5 days ago and their roots are already starting to poke through the bottom draina holes... but I guess i'm just repeating myself.

Since they're so young, I don't want to over-stress them and risk getting hermies...lol... but leaving the roots the way they are for a few weeks will be okay, right? I'll just keep a close eye on them....

...shall I post some pics?

4. Yes pics would be great. I would just repot and be careful as i said before and just giv it a good dose of nutrients when you are done...you can look at it 2 ways...You can repot now and add nutrients to boost it back to normal by keeping your PH stable, andpossibly get it bak on track to grow bigger and healthy, or you can wait to replant when you start seeing signs of root bound (witch could happen at anytime since the roots are already coming out) and then try to transplant when you see the signs and it will already be stressing because it will show it..Wait 1 day after watering so the soil can dry and the roots wont be to wet but just moist enuff to slide out..Just be very gently like its a baby lol. The danger of waiting too long before transplanting is that growth will slow, as the plant has insufficient root room to match the above ground growth – ultimately yielding less. In addition, micro deficiencies, dehydration and other problems occur more frequently with root bound plants. Root-bound plants also take awhile to become vigorous again.

5. Okay - well tomorrow is watering day. They look a bit dry, and i've been watering them every 3 days (started giving 1/3 - 1/2 stength nutes after last transplant) - the promix dries out quite fast. So I think i'll wait until the day after tomorrow - that will give them a day to dry out a little after being watered - then I'll put them all into 3 gallon pots where they will have to stay until harvest. They are all indica or indica dominant strains, so they won't be getting too huge. As far as getting root-bound, well I don't think they're quite there yet... I don't think they'd even filled out the 2" pots before I put them all in the 6" ones - I was having problems with the peat cups drying out completely due to having too much perlite in my mix - that's why they got transplanted a bit early into the 6" pots...

Thanks GanjaFanatic for the advice!

I've attached a quick picture of one of the plants and the bottom of the pot as well, showing the white root.... only 2/6 plants are doing this so far...

Attached Files:

6. Ahh look at her man in my opinion she looks healthy and you have nuthin to worry bout, and it sure does look indica so if you needed to transplant again alls you would need is a 5 gal. bucket but good luck and your welcome brother