rooting powder vs rooting gel

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by flapjacks19, Nov 18, 2009.

1. I need some infomation on how big the difference is in the strike rate of clones and what mediums would be best to use for both of the rooting hormones. Does anyone have any advice on this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeah. Just use the gel. Or a liquid. Better coverage than powder and generally considered better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I made a coffee bubbler tutorial a while back that uses no additives with 100% success rate. Rumples might be similar to mine not sure. Do a search see if you can find "coffee bubbler" hope it helps. V

4. Then those old Commies use household honey

and win every time

antiseptic too

and tastes nice

good luck

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. When I MUST get roots I dip in gel then in powder and plant in screened ProMix for a finer fit around the stems. Place in a dome under a couple of 23w CFL lights in 18/6 or at the edge of the vegging plant space but not under really strong light or they try to keep vegging instead of starting roots.

I've had cuttings root in a bucket of my dugout water used to raise the RH in the grow room. Even stuck in a DWC tub running 1200ppm nutes for the plants growing in it. They want to root!

6. #8 pointswest, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    All of the rooting hormones are essentially the same ingredients, IAA, IBA, NAA hormones. The only difference in the products is the carrier for the hormones. Some use talc, some gels, and some water. They all do the same thing and provide hormones to the plant to encourage cell division in the root zone. It doesn't matter which one you choose, just follow the instructions on the product.

As Vostock stated there are also organic sources of rooting hormones in raw honey,aloe, willow shoots and other plants that can be used to encourage root growth. Google organic rooting compounds. MJ will root easily with only water and a well drained rooting medium. I have been a professional plant propagator for over 20 years and propagate over 2000 different species of plants and rarely ever use rooting hormone on annual cuttings unless they are extremely hard to root.

PW

• Like Like x 2
  7. Aloe Vera too

but I've yet to try

• Like Like x 1
  8. #10 GorillaGherkin, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    My rule is jell for clones powder for transplant

9. I like gel for aeroponic or other mediumless cloning methods. If you're using a medium then Xtreme-gardening Azos is a good powder. I bought it after quite a few GC members recommended it to me when I talked about having cloning issues a while back. I picked up some of that xtreme powder but it floats around and makes a mess in the clone machine. I went back to gel.

From everything I've heard it's amazing in rockwool or other starter methods.
    https://www.xtreme-gardening.com/azos

The gel I use is Clone X

10. One thing that people who use aeroponic cloners and gel have probably noticed. That gel is acidic as a mofo. Every time I start a batch of clones the next day I check the ph and it's down to like 5.0. If I don't bump it back up with some ph up the clones start going downhill fast.