Rooting hormone when potting clones?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by budlover13, Oct 20, 2010.

1. I hope this is an OK post for this forum. I wasn't sure where it would be best received or answered, but here it goes.

I'm getting ready to start my 3rd run and will start with clones rooted in rockwool cubes purchased from my local dispensary. I have noticed that on my previous two runs, my ladies have shown little or no growth for the first 5-7 days after potting in soil. I would assume this is when it is establishing roots.

I'm getting ready to start trying my hand with cloning because I believe it will be more cost efficient(I pay $10 per clone), but even more importantly, I'm interested in it because my Grandma used to be able to take cuttings from almost any plant and had an 80-90% success rate without rooting hormone. She always said you have to study a plant to decide when she is ready, cut in the right spot in the right manner, and give lots of TLC. Personally, I've NEVER been able to start a healthy plant of any kind off a cutting but I've never used hormone.

I guess my question is two pronged:

1) Which rooting hormone do you guys and gals prefer.

2) Would it be beneficial to use the hormone on my clones when I pot them? They always have a healthy root structure to start, but I was wondering about giving them a boost in that first week.

2. if it already has roots no need for rooting gel.If cloning yes it is needed when cloning cuttings if you want them to survive and develop a good root structure.I am no pro here but have cloned a few w/ good outcome recently.But I have not heard of cloning without it.
    If you are getting some clones from a disp.they should be ready to go,if they are healthy.

3. Yes, they are healthy. I was just wondering how I might speed up that 1 week delay I experience. I wait a week until I start nutes, so that is probably why they take off then but I have had roots at the bottom of 3gal containers after only two weeks and then the rootball fills in.

4. Read up on cloning techniques...underwater cutting does help.....consider building a cloner, I have had about a 65% success rate in soil..........100% with a bubble cloner. Budslinger has a great tutorial on a bubble cloner in the diy section and there is one there for an areo cloner that prob. works even better. An hour or two of time and thirty bucks = no root hormone(execpt superthrive/b1) no misting, no dome, no failures and no bullshit.