Root rot? Or lack of 02?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Liverkick, Oct 6, 2014.

1. 5 gallon Dwc Plant is in 2-3 weeks of flower under 600w led. This problem has been going on since week 1 or 2 of flowering, drooping leaves and yellowing/dying crispy leaves.

I used 2-3 tbsp grow big by fox farm , 6 tbsp Alaska by Pennington pure kelp plant food and about 4 -5 tbsp big bloom by fox farm.

I think I overwatered the reservoir to start this problem but I also had 3 air-stones in the bucket and had a clone get ready to be inserted into Dwc so I moved one air stone from this bucket into the new one with clone. Could that have caused this?

I have no light leaks to my knowledge and always cleaned out my equipment with warm water and soap (I've seen started using bleach/h202)

Today I got rid of the old nutrient solution, sprayed the roots with a third h202 and the rest tap water and they cleaned up a little bit after some fizzing. I rinsed them and put them in a new clean bucket with 1-2 gallons tap water and 1 tbsp fox farm grow big. The roots look a lot better color since then but plant doesn't look any better

I also sent a buddy to get aquashield and they gave him hydro guard saying aquashield is discontinued. Is that the same thing?

Will my girl recover or am I fucked? Obviously yield will be affected but to what extent?

What's the best thing to do in this situation? I want the Buds to resume growth if possible... Thanks in advance

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412550018.824757.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412550038.156785.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412550055.192979.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412550091.325975.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412550115.517493.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412550134.488618.jpg

Here is the air pump I use: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412550209.368615.jpg

2. Bump... Someone please weigh in on this :/

3. Bleach leaves residues, no mention of ph or res temp, canopy temp. I am soil but these bits of missing info can help people who use the same method assist. Best of luck.

4. Ph stays in 5.8-6.1 range, canopy temps are 70-79 degrees at Max, no light leaks,

Don't know my res temp but I assume it's not the cause of the problem due to the temps of the room. The water couldn't be higher than the air could it?

5. Reservoir temp has to be below 65-70 if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure if you don't have a chiller it's probably in the 75-80 zone which usually is what causes root rot.

6. Understood, I honestly think it was the fact that I overfilled 3 inches up past the bottom of the net pot and removed an air pump from it..: doesn't lack of o2 in water cause root rot as well?

7. Nope, just causes the plant to suffocate. Wouldn't affect the color or state of the roots.

8. Looks like you have the dreaded brown slime (Cyanobacteria)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Hmmm well not trying to be a know it all but I read on this forum somewhere that the lack of 02 makes the water a more fertile breeding ground for pythium or something like that?
    What's the difference between that an pythium? What is the best fix?

10. Since flushing with h202 and adding hydro guard I've seen the brown stuff start to to away and the roots look white again, maybe new growth?

The leaves look the same though although it doesn't look like they've continued to yellow and die off

11. #11 gone4good, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    To be honest I don't know a lot about the subject. I know pythium is a fungus and Cyanobacteria is a bacteria. There are tons of threads dedicated to identifying it as well as the controlling/eradication of the crap. I myself experienced it once and that was all it took for me to abandon rdwc. People who run well water are at the greatest risk.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Ok thank you, I'll go search for info, I realize it's obviously my fault and it won't happen again if I can help it, hard & expensive lesson to learn but I guess that's part of the game, doesn't soil have it's own set of problems? Like pests?

13. no air in the water have this results, is like an over watering

14. that was probably my issue.., thanks for the response.

Ended up harvesting the tiny buds, lucky I had a clone already going from it so it wasn't a total flop