root rot - how to treat?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Doc6701, Mar 21, 2010.

1. I read Hydrogen Peroxide. Can someone tell me the safe ratio to add to you water? Also, would it be worth it to do it as a preventative measure?

TIA

2. #2 Sativanya, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
    I think it,s 10ml per L can't remember tho. Your roots are not getting enough air it sounds like. I run 20L (5 gal) buckets with 5" round air stones. My buckets are black plastic so no light gets in, then I taped them to reflect light and heat. Somtimes I can get close to 80F with no algea or root rot. Just make sure 0 light gets in and your safe. I never use peroxide.

3. well the drip, dwc, and aeroponic, so I cant see how that would be the issue.

4. What setup do you have, and do you have rot? Lol sry a lil buzzed on this end

5. It's homemade hydro. It drips, it aeroponics, and it DWC's. I think what happened is when I transferred them to the big system the roots didnt go through the net cup, so they got bound up in there. I pulled that plant out and re did it and pulled the roots through. It seems to be recovering. The roots were dark and gross.

6. How come so many different setups? That would confuse me. Personally I would stick with straight dwc or dirt. Keep your mother in dirt and flower in dwc is easy and works for my situation.

7. because I like to build stuff. It's not confusing at all. All 4 plants get all 3 methods.

8. 4 different ways has got to stress those roots, they shouldn't be touched onced left to grow. If you get root rot in one system, chances are all your other systems will have to be cleaned too. Keep it easy IMO

9. I dont see how the 3 methods can possibly stress the plants, but thank you for your input.

Now my original question, What is the mix ratio and is it worth doing as a preventative measure?

10. Don't use it unless you get rot, my point is you won't need peroxide, or get root rot for that matter if all other factors are good. I'd say don't bother.

11. #11 pnut420, Mar 21, 2010
    A bunch of other threads and charts say 3%H2O2 (bought at walmart, rite-aid, ...etc) you can add 10ml/per gallon of water.

If you buy the 35% shit from a hydro store those figures have to be brought waaaaaay down.

But im with sativanya, if all your prep work is done correctly (mainly light blockage) you dont need to use H2O2. Not even for preventative maitnence. Keep the res temp below 80 and light proof everything and you should be good.

If you dont mind could you explain your drip/dwc/aeroponics system? Why do you run all three? do you notice better growth or better yields? Or do you just feel good about this system bc you designed it? It sounds a little crazy. Im a builder by trade so i know the good feeling from making or building something....but you got to keep it simple at the same time.

Oh yeah----just hit up the sick plants section and type hydrogen peroxide into the search bar and voila....... More H2O2 articles than you can shake a stick at. good luck man

12. Thanks, I am thinking there might be light leak through the backside of the bin, it's very dim, but not completely dark.

The reason for the different systems. I design and build huge remediation systems, so built in redundancy is in my DNA. I started with just the drip, and it worked fine, but occasionally one would get blocked up, so I threw a couple of bubblers in there so they wouldnt drown between checking on it (since then nothing has clogged, go figure). Then I was having trouble cloning, so I studied and built a daisy cloner copy that fits in my little bitty veg chamber. Well, that was so much fun I made a badass aeroponic that fit down into the bin of the big girls. So now they drip from the top, get misted all the way down, and then the roots sit in the DWC. Any 2 of the 3 can go down without harming the plants.

They do very well. Even the one described earlier in this thread is thriving again. I was just curious if there was a preventative measure since hydrogen peroxide is so cheap.

13. Get a chiller.

You cure the alge/root rot problem and you increase the potency. ;)

14. Link?

What temp should the water be? mine stays in the low 70's.

15. #15 jollyrancher1, Mar 21, 2010
  16. YIKES, not in my budget.