Root Riot Sponges

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jmsvndctd86, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Have a simple question. I have my germinated plants in root riot plugs "the sponge like material". I am using a Deep Water Culture Hydro system. I am currently not runing the system cause plants are way too small "popped out of the sponge yesterday" and I have been watering them every 4 to 6 hours. My question is when should i start letting the DWC do my watering for me and is it a good idea to let the bottom of the sponges dip in the water??? Also when the system is up and running and the roots are in the water. do i still need to water the top of the sponges manually? Thanks in advance

2. I would start the air pump and stone ASAP for air

I would also let them slightly dip into res.
    I stopped feeding / watering from top, due to mold and drowning. Roots will darken and smell(root rot) If not corrected it will die.
    I have corrected one plant of this and it came back strong.

3. have the water level about an inch away from the riot cube and water the cube until roots reach the water which should be in a couple of days

4. Thank you guys. My roots have not popped out the bottom yet. That is why I ask. One of you say let the sponge did in the water, and the other says not too? I think i will top feed cargully until the roots can touch the res. I feel that if the sponge just sits in water It will lead to drowning or mold build up

5. Good luck