Root APHIDS Thread Identify and destroy

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by rain dancer, Nov 14, 2013.

1. :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

2. I run into those lil bastards more than id like. I flush my pots with mad amounts of water to get rid of a lot of root dwellers then add some lady bugs to the grow room to take care of the crawlers. some soils may come with these present. u might wanna bake your soil to sterilize pre planting. I also dust around my saucers n pots with diatomaceous earth. the all organic way does wonders for me, give it a try if u run into these again.

4. Hi there pokesmot,
    I'm new to this forum but have been growing indoors for years. I ran across your post and pests while googling myself regarding pests. Like a dummy, I took in some babies about a year ago from an inexperienced grower whom had put his babies outside briefly...not sure why he did this as they were far from ready for time snap to 12/12...little did I know, they had gotten a few fungus gnats from being outdoors. When I brought them in, they contaminated my entire room...4 tents, ugh!! I washed roots, hung yellow stickies, applied neem, used mosquito dunks, used sand to smother on top of pots and bought tanlin (pricey)...its been a battle!! The larvae look just like the little shits all over your sprout here in this photo. I have been able to keep them down to a minimum and even irradiated in a specific tent from time to time but never completely! I came to see my girls in a flowering tent the other day...which had been looking amazing and 5 of them were nearly dead!! I think I now have root aphids...the flyers look so similar to fungus gnats its difficult to tell but something just took the life rt outta them! I can still see the larvae in the soil that I've been seeing for months...but the flyers are now anywhere from very light gray (these don't like to fly....they will sometimes but prefer to run), to med gray...and now some are looking like bigger, stronger black gnats...I'm so frustrated!! Suggestions, other than pull violently I'll plants?

5. #26 rain dancer, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Hello.

Since i first wrote this thread Ive added two very important things to my arsenal.

The first thing is dichlovoris commonly known as "no pest strips" available at most stores. This is an organophosphate.

The second thing I got was pyrethrin, which is synthetic pyrethrum, am extract of the chrysanthemum flower family.

You can read more about those chemicals in one of my journals, as well as their function here
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1305106-1200w-underground-jungle-soil.html?p=20591643
    and the science behind it here:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1305106-1200w-underground-jungle-soil.html?p=20417809

Basically i mix the pyrethrin at 3-4x the recommended dose and drench the roots in it.

Seal the room and hang 4 no pest strips in there, hanging on the pots. Turn off all vent fans but leave your fan to blow across the plants. The room will become saturated with the poison and all the flyers will die, as will any spiders or other bugs. The pyrethrin will disable the insects and larvae via neurotoxins.

In 3-5 days at the next watering, mix up pyrethrin again and do this agin. Do not remove the no pest strips. Id leave them for 6-14 days at the least. You can do these treatments no matter how far into flower you are. I keep 2 no pest strips in my grow room 24/7 as a preventative and bugs dont last but a day after i add them. Pyrethrin i only add if organic treatments fails. Ive found that mosquito dunks dont work on fungus gnats but they die with two treatments of pyrethrin and the flyers die overnight with no pest strips.

Walmart carries no pest strips as do big box hardware stores. Amazon is the cheapest route for all things mentioned. You need as close to pure pyrethrin as possible.

Good luck

-poke

P.s. keep any females away from no pest strips. It effects women worse than men.

6. :) Thank you!! One problem... All I have are ladies, as I use mamas for cloning... I'll try the other goodies you mentioned though!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. One more question for you...if you don't mind :) Do you like growing hydro style better than soil? While at shop I use during my last visit...I wanted to pick up a hydro system but they talked me out of it...insisting that soil is best. I did buy a nice meter that measures both ppm and pH, as well as a to filtration system... I can't keep my pH high enough when I use it...my girls like their dinner at least around a pH level of 6 or so...still curious about hydro and just started reading your journals.

8. Excuse me... a reverse osmosis filtration system.

9. Hello, sorry for the late response. If you dont quote my post im not notified you responded and the thread sits.

Hydro is simple, a 5 gallon bucket, an airpump from walmart, two airstones, some medium and a net pot.

No system ive ever seen is worth buying. Its stupid cheap to make.

Hydro has its own set of problems, but once setup, plants grow much faster than soil and imo, its easier than soil too.

Heres a post on the difference between root aphids and fungus gnats.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/close-up-pic-of-root-aphid-and-fungus-gnat-larvae-help.48982/

10. Hey Poke I thought I would continue our convo in this thread cause you've nailed it. I have no flyers and nothing else I can see though.

Here's a pic, I thought you didn't get these problems in coco?
    [​IMG]