Root Aphids, please help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ancient3328, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Hey guys, so I have recently been having a problem with what I first thought were spider mites, but now are what I believe are root aphids. They start out as the tiny white spider looking "crumbs" and spawn wings and hang out around the pot sort of like fungus gnats. I had put about an inch thick layer of diotomaceus earth on the top of each plant, as well as gave them a neem cake tea, but neither did the trick. The diotomaceus earth actually cracked the soil away from the pots and released them, which I just came upstairs from seeing. The plants aren't showing any major damage yet, just a couple yellower leaves on the bottom but dark green and vigorous otherwise. I know for a fact that they somehow invaded my soil, which has since COMPLETELY been thrown out. I keep my tents very clean, including a complete clean out with hydro peroxide and drip tray cleaning every two days (when I water) to assure safe measure. I also keep up a regimented routine of Captain Jack's for spider mites (which seems to have worked great so far).

I have come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to have to throw all my ladies away, but was wondering if it would be safe to clone them first, as long as I gave them a good dunk in some SNS 203 that should be arriving any day now. Secondly, I also use super soil, which I ammend with many things, including diotomaceus earth, and neem cake meal, which are supposed to repel this sort of thing. The only thing I changed this time around was that I used coco as my base instead of Pro mix MP as before. Could this have been what triggered the bugs to be able to penetrate it? I do grow in a damp basement, and had left my soil uncovered as to prevent mold up until this happened, but now I have been wondering if I should cover it to prevent this from happening again. So what should I use to "disinfect" the growing area once all plants are gone? I want something that will definitely work, so that I never have to deal with this again. And secondly, is SNS 203 a good preventative measure to take from now on to further prevent any of this from reoccuring?

2. Sorry guys, forgot to add this before

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soil
    What brand and type of soil? Super soil mix with a base of Cocogro, alaskan humus, wiggle worm ewc, perlite, and diotomaceus earth. Also included are dr. earth organic fertilizer, neem cake meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, fish bone meal, seabird guano, calcium carbonate, gypsum, dolomite lime, and rock dust.
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? Multiple different strains, all infected but some worse than others.
    How old are the plants? Anywhere from 4-7 weeks
    What type of lights and how many watts? 3 different tents, each housing a 600 watt hps
    How far from the lights? about 6-12 inches (height restrictions)
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? every other day, tap water that is dechlorinated for 36 hours before use
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? I just use foliar teas bubbled for 36 hours containing Either super tea mix or budswel to start, and then adding kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and hi brix molasses.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? Runoff is right at 7, no problems at all in this area
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? temp roughly 75-80, humidity anywhere from 50-60
    What size pots?3.5 gallon super cropper pots
    Any bugs? Look real close. YES, what I believe to be root aphids
    Any other pertinent info? The area is naturally damp, housing spiders and the like. While it is physically impossible to get completely clean, I want to find something that allows me to keep the bugs under control and away from my stash.

3. Haha thanks man, I have been using neem oil but it doesn't seem to be exterminating them, just sort of keeping them at bay. Now granted, this is great and all, but I don't want to take clones and have them get into there as well, and I just want to be rid of this problem no matter what the cost honestly. I was thinking id probably have to scrap all the plants, and hot shot no pest strip each tent and the environment (with no plants present) to be SURE to kill everything. I hate using non organic pesticides, but this is just getting crazy

4. Allowing yourself to get wound up ain't good for you or the plants, I have used Hot Shot before but won't be doing that again, it's a very serious killer, and a very good chance that it will damage you in time...?
    Better google the contents first, as I believe the chems in it are actually made by Monsanto, every good gardeners enemy...!

5. Yeah, I suppose it's just because I take the necessary precautions, and have so many friends who barely do anything and never have bug problems, I really just think its the environment I grow in. Which is why I want to make sure I kill EVERYTHING in it this time before I restart. The no pest strips are a last resort for me, heard tons of bad stuff about the toxins they release into the environment, but I figured if no plants were present maybe it would do the trick to kill the bugs and I could take it out after. My next choice was doktor doom bombs, was going to get 3 of them and put them in each tent with the fans off. Figured I'd get one or two of each kind of bomb to make sure to annihilate everything lol. Thanks for the tips and keep em coming!

6. Any other ideas guys??

7. Spray everything down with bleach and water