Roll your own cigs, anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by northernwidow, Nov 4, 2006.

1. I have just recently started smoking homerolled ciggarettes. My friend got into roilling his own a few weeks ago, and i was smoking his for a lil, and am now rollling my own. I use a roller so its not a big pain in the ass, and a nicely self rolled cig is so satisfying.

So do any of you blades roll yur own? if so, any advice(tobacco,papers, anything). I also dont know what kind of tobacco im using, my friend has a big tub of it and just gave me a baggie full of it. Its not like really extrordinary, but its certainly better than any storebought cigs. It features a hint of cloves in my opinion, and gives a strong buzz and makes me a little drowsy.

Also, is pipe tobacco cut differently than rolling tobacco? i assume its gotta be longer but i dont know, cuz there are some really fine pipe tobacco selections in my area.

2. yeah i roll my own most of the time
    i mostly roll either American Spirit light (its in a blue pouch) or Bali Shag.
    i really suggest the bali shag, its way way easier to roll than shittier tobacco, its not much more money (still cheaper than cigs) and i suggest the "light halfzware" although the "golden shag" is very good too.
    also if you come across "macbarron" brand, its REALLY good danish import stuff, tastes and smells amazing, super rich but light and smooth.
    as for papers i usually use the papers that come with the tobacco, for the most part they are pretty small (not wide) but you dont need wide ones for cigs, and the less paper the better. if i buy more i usually go for the normal width zig zags. Dont bother with the 1.25 or 1.5 width, no need for rolling cigs, and the extra paper tastes bad. flavored papes can be a lot of fun though, just for a change. i suggest Bambu flavored ones (burn and taste better than juicy jays IMO). some of the flavors are a little wierd with tobacco, but i really love the chocolate and vanilla ones. with a good tobacco those are great, and the chocolate with a spliff tastes like a wendys frosty with weed!
    and i really suggest you ditch the roller and roll your own. i can roll a nice cig in like, mabye 15 seconds tops. its not any harder once you get better at it, and i like being able to roll them just the width i like, with a little taper to a little pointed mouthpiece, just the density i like.
    plus, rolling cigs is an artform, and looks cool as hell, i suggest you get some tobacco of your own and try rolling some by hand (tobacco rolls so much easier than weed, because it naturally clumps and forms a tube, doesnt fall out everywhere like broken up bud) and try it out.
    hope i didnt type too much, hope you enjoy the smokes!
    (p.s. youll be amazed at how much better/faster you get at rolling js and blunts too, handling a lot more paper and learning how to get just the right smoke out of the materials makes a ton of difference)

3. I roll cigs with this vinilla pipe tabacco crap from walgreens that is really cheap. And I use the green apple juicy jays as papers and it tastes really good. Im not sure if that counts as rolling cigs though. They are more like little cigars or something.

4. quiting tobbaco is the healthiest thing one can do, that being said, rollin my own is too much work, if i ever need a cig, which is rare, unless im railin coke or something, or if boozin..then ill jus buy a damn pack....i got better things to roll than wacko anyways...

5. i dont usually take health advice from coke users but, thanks anyways???

thanks to everyone tho, mooglemage all ur info was great and im defenietly gonna start hand rolling.

6. Look man I'm not exactly a vet here but that kind of shit doesn't fly and he's right anyway...quitting tobacco is one of the healthiest things you can do...who do you think is healthier when there 65...someone who has been smokin a pack a day for 35 years or someone who has done coke 20 times?

7. mooglemage, the smokes you handroll, do they have a filter? i cant imagine smoking unfiltered cigarettes...

i buy a pack for the weekends sometimes, if i plan on going out and think ill want to smoke a bunch. otherwise, around the house, i just roll my own. great canadian tobacco is my brand, comes in a big green bag (funny that i pick it up in the states, and bring it over the border, WAY cheaper. 15$ for 200 grams compared to 40 grams here. thats what, 10 packs compared to 2.)

anyone else notice that homerolled smokes give about 5-6 drags, where as a store bought smoke has 2 or 3 maximum?

8. Marlboro 27's > any hand rolled

9. didnt mean to offend anyone that badly, was just pointing out the irony of taking health advice from someone that uses coke, i dont mind if he uses coke in fact if he enjoys it thats good for him. i have never tried it really myself, except i took a second drag off a snow cap last year(i dont think that has any coke left at that point) sorry if i offended u or him, and i certainly do not smoke regularly, just homerolleds in a leisurely way, sort of a social smoker

10. Uck, I smoke too many ciggerates to smoke 27's. I smoke Marlboro ultra lights and Marlboro lights. Sometimes Marlboro menthol lights. I can't stand rolling my own ciggerate I usually can't even finish a damn thing.

11. i did onetime get like, 30 of the little filter tips for rolling free from a headshop, because the guy was high and was being really generous. I used those for a while, but most of the time i dont bother.
    i know what you mean about the harshness, and for the most part i roll them pretty thin and tight, with a tight little mouth end, and i usually only smoke 4-5 cigs a day tops if im hand rolling them.
    the filter tips werent that hard to roll in, but they also necessitate a TON more tobacco, because it forces you to roll the cig just as wide as a normal cig is (becasue of the filter's width), and thats not how i usually roll them.

and to some comments above, i dont think pipe tobacco is MEANT for cig use, but i have had a cig with pipe tobacco in a pinch, and it wasnt awful. Its usually a little harsher i think, but im not sure of any other differences as far as additives or anything.

12. Hm. Been rolling and smoking unfliltered cigs for nearly a year now. Can't be good... Oh well. HEHE.

I recently picked up a rolling machine.. Works very very nicely once you figure it out.

13. I never really enjoyed smoking tobacco. But Im interested in hand rolled cigarettes, this is true. I might give it a shot one day.

14. Do yourself a favor.. If you can still smoke weed.. Stay away from these things.. I'm not kidding.

I hope you heed my warning.. They won't make you feel anything except.. I dunno.. This may just be my reaction to nicotine..

Just don't?

15. well that makes it even more ironic cause i dont do coke, i was just using it as an example, my few coca days are loong in the past

16. I roll my self about 20 cigs a day without a machine.