Rockwool FAQ* - one of the best growing mediums

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by devious_0ne, Oct 28, 2006.

1. ALL THE THINGS IVE LEARNED ABOUT ROCKWOOL________devious06
    ***************************************************************grasscity.

RETAINS WATER VERY WELL - The rockwool holds a very good amount of water.. this is good. I have also read that "It's good for power outtages and other sorts of failures." :D

HOLDS AIR WELL - Rockwool holds at least 15-20% air, which supplies the root zone with significant amounts of oxygen. Supposedly, this means "that it is practically impossible to drown the rockwool.. but I would watch out." :rolleyes:

Disadvantages to Rockwool

pH levels - Rockwool has a high pH-- so you have to adjust your nutrients to a low state so that the root zone is "neutral". The rockwool can also change in pH shifts, so the grower needs to keep an eye on it. :eek:

GO FOR A LONG PRE-SOAK PERIOD - If you choose the rockwool, I would make it a must that you pre-soak it for 24 hours before using. This is pretty much to adjust the levels to a pH of (4.5-5.0). To soak them just put the cubes in the water and let them float around, for 24 hours.. or so. :devious:

hope this contributes to all those questions..

Chimera's Suggestion: ROCKWOOL NEEDS TO BE SOAKED FOR 24HRS IN ROCKWOOL CONDITIONER. That is the one thing ppl keep forgeting or ignoring.

2. Hey, Thanks for the info man!!

3. question? I planted into rockwool cubes a while back. When I soaked my rockwool I used vinigar to bring down the ph , however, the ph in my res is spiking from 5.8 to 8.0 after a few hours.
    I don't think I soaked my rockwool in water with low enough ph.

Is there any way to lower the ph of the rockwool that's already in the system with small clones?

Any advice is appriciated, I'm using WAY too much ph down.

4. Rockwool Needs To Be Soaked For 24hrs In Rockwool Conditioner.

5. ROCKWOOL NEEDS TO BE SOAKED FOR 24HRS IN ROCKWOOL CONDITIONER. That is the one thing ppl keep forgeting or ignoring.

6. Hey chimera, how's it goin?

I did soak my cube first, but , I don't think I soaked them in water with the ph down enough( 5.8) It was my first time.

Is there n e thing to be done know?

PS Sorry Devious for jacking your thread but at least I'm stayin on topic lol.

7. I guess you don't get what I said. Rockwool conditioner is a product you purchase to pre-treat your cubes, Vinegar doesn't work to alter the chemistry of the rockwool like the conditioner does. What I know about rockwool is this, if you just plant the seed in them the seed dies, if you properly conditions rockwool the plants thrive.

As for your problem, all I can suggest is to keep your nutes and water's PH lower than normal, which for hydro is 5.5, until the PH stabilizes which may very well be never. Good luck with it.

8. ahhhhhhhhhhh the light turns on!!!lol

Sometimes I can be pretty thick, sorry, I didn't realize that using the conditioner was any different then using vinigar.
    If I understand correctly, when you soak the cubes in water with a lowered ph, it's not actually changing any of the chemical in the rockwool.
    when you use conditioner is changes the chemical balances within the rockwool.

So I guess It's important not only to soak the rockwool but to soak it in the PROPER conditioner.
    (don't be cheap like me and use vinigar, just creates problems)

thank you very much for the help chimera and devious.

9. chimera is this no matter what with the condition nute's? or will exposing them to enough water make them eventually lower pH?? oh and i quoted ure tip ;D thanks

10. I put some cracked seeds into RW 1 inch cubes presoaked in distilled water for 24 hours. I had them in a covered container for 24 hours and chickened out because i sprouted my other seeds in soil. I cut the cubes open to transfer to soil and the tap root had grown half an inch already. I want to try the rest of my cubes for cloning when the time comes.