Rockwool Cubes for Seedlings in Organic Growing

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Tiny Mids Blunt, May 11, 2012.

1. Hey everyone! I'm about to start up an outdoor autoflower guerilla grow, and I'm definitely been converted to organics after I saw the difference it made to an earlier harvest. However, I just so happened to have gotten 6 4x4x2.5 inch rockwool cubes free from a friend who prefers the smaller one inch cubes.

I've heard great things about rockwool, but I can't recall them ever being used outdoors, much less in organic grows. If I was to plant my seedlings in them, let them grow out a bit since these cubes are a bit big, train them to be ready for the outdoors, and then transplant them in my location with my soil mixture by putting the cube in the ground... well, is that alright? I don't think the rockwool would decompose, so I think that's a concern. Also, I hear that the seedlings need more than just water while in the cubes, or they will die. What do I do in this case, since I don't have plant food or fertilizer in liquid form to mix with my water? Thanks in advance for the responses! :smoke:

2. i prefer Da Kine compost for seeds, but rockwool would be good for cuttings. they dry out fast espeicial outdoor. I bury rockwool under the compost when transplanting it slightly improves the water retension.

3. Use a simple, minimally ammended soil, that consists of peat moss, perlite, washed sand, EWC, and a binder like aloe or yucca extract. Go out and look at bags of seedling soil. Throw the rockwool away.

4. ide have to agree with Mrs. SP. maybe i would say go for it if they were clones & because they were free.....but seedlings man just plant them in the dirt.

i dont use any water additives after i plant seedlings.....just some soil amended with EWCs and a tid bit of azomite.

-OSUB

5. The only reason why I got the cubes was because I heard the optimal way to pull off a guerilla grow was to raise the seedlings for a week in house. I was told that if I started them outside, they would potentially be easy prey, and are exposed to all the wild hazards at their weakest state in life.

6. well than start them indoor in soil :D

-OSUB

7. ...I was actually too high to ever consider that a valid option. Time for a trip to the store! :D