ROCK hard soil?!?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheHemperor4:19, Oct 2, 2008.

1. so how can i keep my soil from becomming rock hard? i feel like thats not condusive to plant growth.... and ive got a few femm'ed strawberry haze sproutlings i need to keep alive!!

i gotta veg them atleast a bit under these crappy plant grow lights i got at walmart.... hopefully i can switch them over to the hps to veg before i kill them off though....

i gotta keep the soil in good condition!! any advice??

ive got like (3) *75* watt, auctucal watt is like 17 i think or something... lights going right now with like 3-4 seedlings...

i know they suck.... im not very happy with them so far.... but its too late as ive already spent the $$ and built the growbox...

how can i keep soil from becomming rock hard?!

2. What are you using for your soil? Give us some details.

Your best bet would be to transplant into some fresh organic potting mix which
    has some perlite and/or vermiculite added to it. You could also add some peat
    moss. This should stay pretty bouncy and airy even after multiple watering.

In the early stages, i personally use a long screwdriver to keep my soil aerated
    but be very careful with this, you don't want to damage your root structure.

Consider watering with a little hydrogen peroxide mixed in, it'll help deliver that
    crucial oxygen to your plants roots.

Hope that helps

~Experimentalist

3. Won't the peroxide be harmful to the mycorrhizae and beneficial bacteria in the soil?

4. Hrm.. I dont know! I read that it helps and have been doing it myself with no noticable
    effects, but maybe I should stop. That warrants checking into. Thanks for bringing
    that up!