Robin Williams Dies

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by garrison68, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Robin Williams has died.  He leaves a lifetime of excellent work in movies, TV, and other mediums.  He will be missed.  

2. He was great at his craft.

Being reported as an apparent suicide (death by asphyxiation). If such is the case I have sympathy for his family and friends because of his final selfish act. None for the dead.

(I have gone through several suicides in my life my to have formed my opinion.)

If  life is throwing you into the chaos of severe depression get help and think of the lives of those you touch before pulling the trigger on yourself.

3. Goodbye captain.

4. I'll always have nice memories of watching his films as a kid

I loved Hook and had all the action figures, Mrs. Doubtfire was another classic

And then he did One Hour Photo and I thought he was going to have this whole new career playing against type

Very sad

5. #5 PeterParker, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    wow, what a sad story.

Loved Good Morning Vietnam & liked his stand up.

I'll tribute tonight watching some....and fuck I guess the mind can fuck with peeps :(   where's the ego? i digress......sad clown

6. It just goes to show that even the richest people with the happiest persona and access to all of the luxuries life can offer are still susceptible to depression. Tragic loss of a great comedy genius. :(

7. If you have gone through many suicides, obviously not including your own, then to call it a selfish act displays in my mind nothing but ignorance. Do you think voluntarily ending your life is an easy choice?. Depression is an illness, occasionally the outcome of that illness is suicide....the person ending their own life is not in a fit state of mind to judge the repercussions of their act on others, therefore it's not selfish, it's just tragic. Also tragic that people like yourself claim to know about such events without actually understanding the logic that is their illogical thought process.

8. #8 JetxLife86, Aug 12, 2014
    RIP, Robin!!!

What a sad ending to such a great comedian.

I did some reseach on these next few movies that are supposedly his very last films before before his death to be released this year.

Boulevard - Robin plays a banker of 26 years who lives a life of monotony. He and his wife use their marriage as a distraction from reality. However, he is forced to confront a secret life. He ends up picking up a young guy off the streets and starts having homosexual infactuations...he pays the guy just to hang with him. Long story short, Robin is questioning his sexual orientations, very odd movie and plot.

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn - Robin Williams is mistakenly told that he is going to die from a brain aneurism by Mila Kunis, whom she pays a doctor filling in for Robin's regular doctor. As Robin races around the city trying to right his wrongs, Mila tries to find him as he tries to find what he can do in his 'last moments alive'

Merry Friggin Christmas - talks about a man and his family must spend Xmas with his estranged family of misfits. Upon realziing that he left all his son's gifts at home, he hits the road in hope to make it back before sunrise.

Looking over the plots of these films, they usually depict the last moments of Robin's despressed life. Sad way to end life...

He will be greatly missed. That smile and ability to make people laugh was infectious!

9. Suicide and rational thought don't really go hand and hand

10. #11 PeterParker, Aug 12, 2014
    While I'll agree generally, he was well into his 60's.  That isn't an "Oh I've had a bad week, so I'm gunna knick myself."

He is scatter brained, obnoxious, and very intelligent.  While it's made for a great stage comedian, I imagine relationships & "connections" were difficult. I imagine him on drugs is a whole other level. 

He made his choice and imo the only people who have the right to call it "selfish" are those who were close to him.

Cause for the rest of us, well for me anyways he gave many laughs, and that's giving. And his acting was really good when....it was enjoyable to see him in said role. In his 2012 Washington stand-up that on you tube he jokes that and i'm paraphrasing  "of course I'm depressed...Bicentennial Man."  That movie wasn't a failure critically or financially so I presume he is referring to the story. Perhaps someway that film tells us a bit about him..idk it's been 15 years since I've seen that movie.

"That shit will lock you on the couch for weeks! Even the cat will be like "GET THE FUCK OFF THE COUCH, I'VE BEEN EATING MY OWN SHIT FOR THE LAST THREE DAYS! I KNOW MELLOW BUT THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULES!" - Robin Williams

11. Was he depressed?

12. It's incredibly tragic that someone who made so many millions of people so happy was so profoundly tortured. This is a story that hits incredibly close to home for me, not just because Robin Williams and his characters played a significant role in shaping my childhood, but because of my own struggles with the demons surrounding suicide.

Depression is a powerful force, and I'm glad that discussion has been sparked about it. I hope that if any message is received by those struggling as well, it's that you're not alone.

13. I would think that most people who kill themselves are in a pretty bad state of depression.

14. RIP Robin Williams

It's so hard to believe that someone so funny is depressed. They say it's actually kind of common for comedians to be super depressed, which I find to be weird. But I guess if you think about it hard enough, who's making them laugh if they are making everyone else laugh?

I don't know, I guess for me it's just a little baffeling that he was depressed. But alcohol and drugs can really change the perspective on how someone feels about their life.

So once again, RIP and I'm going to go watch Mrs Doubtfire.