Riots in Greece

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gloom, Dec 8, 2008.

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7770086.stm

Perhaps I have just blindly missed it, but why isn't any of this ever shown on American news?

2. Because most Americans are too nationalistic to care about what's outside their borders.

3. Because this stuff happens to people who aren't American.

Not our problem, not our concern.

4. Typical attitude. ^

Demand change in your media, if people are rioting over police stepping over their bounds you SHOULD hear about it. You are a citizen of the world too.

5. The problem is that the vast majority of Americans genuinely don't care. The American media panders to the majority, so they won't cover it, or at least, not well. It'll get maybe 30 seconds of coverage.

I don't pay that much attention to American media because it's mostly good for American news.

6. mainly because our news is privately owned

and they'll show you what they want you to see

7. I live in holland, europe.

Saw this on the news this morning, a 15year old boy was gunned down by an officer.

the officer behind the trigger and his partners where arrested.

8. How do riots in Greece affect daily American life though?

Good for the Greeks but I honestly am more concerned with MY country.

And that citizen of the world business? That's crap.

9. No, I'm pretty sure I only have citizenship in the U.S.

10. What the media chooses to show us has nothing to do with consumer demand... riots and violence are popular entertainment in America.

I think they don't want to give us any ideas... they pump us with fear of private and faith in the state. Being sure not to allude to any 'power of the people' ideas. If you notice, protestors and rioters are always in the wrong... I think it started with Vietnam.

11. #12 Deleted member 87043, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008

This could also be said about state owned media. There really is no logic here.

It has more to do with this ^^.

US citizens don´t realize that sometimes protesting is necessary and they actually can stand up to police. I mean, how many police are riot control? Not even 25% of the amount of people usually protesting. If you guys actually got pissed off you could get something done. Thing is most people are too busy watching American Idol and eating McDonald's to care.

panem et circenses...

12. I am part Greek and my mother does have Greek citizenship which I might have in future as well, so it probably does concern me more then it concerns you.

13. American media doesnt give two shits about something that doesnt affect America.

I remember watching the terrorist attacks in India on tv and every fucking 3 minutes they would say "O well we dont know how many Americans were killed." Like thats the only thing we care about.

14. The american media doesnt care to splash this all over the headlines, because there is no body count.

15. Why is it crap and why should all the news you hear directly impact American life?

I guess I've just traveled too much to put any stock in the importance of borders.

16. Oh shit they just talked about it for minute on the Situation Room on CNN. :eek:

17. They only way to hear it is if there's American people in it.
    well I guess there's no American's in Greece riots :rolleyes:

18. Here here

19. #20 blueend, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
    there are riots every year.only this time a 16 year old was killed and the riots are starting to go wild.and its been 4 days of this crap...

im guessin from my experience it will stop by the end of the week.i mean it has to...

to the OP.well i dont think it concerns even myself who i have greek citizenship and live in greece.
    people here love to protest and provoke police(and burn stuff too).and police loves to arrest and throw tear gas and beat the protesters..it will always be that way.stop hoping something will come out of this or youll be dissapointed..

-well what happens in greece doesnt have an effect in the states plus..you dont show people things you dont want them to do.so its sounds pretty logic that it isnt known there-