right pot size...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by growdro, Jul 28, 2008.

1. I'm setting up a new cabinet grow system and space is a big issue. Id obviously like to pack as many plants as possible into the cabinet.

I have access to square 7.67x7.67x10 "rose buckets" (http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=52960)

or

9" diameter by 8" tall round plastic pots (http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=46057)

With the rose buckets I could fit 2 rows of 4 or 5 plants, as opposed to only 2 rows of 3 with the round pots. Im wondering if the rose buckets will be enough soil to let the plant grow big and tall (im working for a SOG setup, so ill be incubating at about 12-16 inches of height, expecting about 3 foot plants at harvest).

Will the square bucket be enough room for the root system? Any help is appreciated.

2. if the rose buckets are at least 3 gallons, i would say they'd be sufficient for a semi-sog. 5 gallons would be preferable i think. the square shape would definitely give you the best plant/space ratio.

i'm not really 100% certain about all that though. would definitely get a second opinion.

3. I agree^

those pots are the perfect size for plants with 0-2 weeks of veg and the 8 weeks of flower.
    If you want to veg longer for bigger plants or have a long flowering sativa youll need bigger pots.

the rule of thumb is no less the 1 gallon per month the plant is alive. stay within that rule and your plants will never become root bound
    (more root space is ALWAYS better though)

4. Thanks for the help guys!

I did the math, the rose bucket is 2.54 gallons volume, so under the 3gal you recommend.

I guess my question now is: is it better (in terms of final oz yield) to have 8 plants growing in 2.5 gal pots or 4-5 plants growing in 5 gal pots?

I guess once i determine this i'm ready to start.

Thanks!

5. The bigger the pot size the bigger the yields. The longer the veg the bigger the yields. 3 gallon is absolute MINIMUM size, 5 gallon is recommended size.

6. ok, so 5 gal it is. thanks!