Rifle in Vehicle in MI?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Willyummyweed, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Okay, so I know in the state of Michigan, I can lawfully transport a rifle in my vehicle as long as it is in a case unloaded in my trunk; Also, so long as it is not readily accessible to any occupants of the vehicle. (I know, get a concealed carry; Well, maybe I already have one, don't want one, or can't get one. This discussion is about rifles carried within vehicles only)

Anyways, I have 3 questions:

1. What is legally defined in Michigan as a "case" that will hold the rifle in my vehicle? (Zipper case?)

2. If the ammunition is out of the rifle can one carry the loaded magazine in their pocket (or in an unlocked glove box?) for ease of access need the situation arise? ('cause zombies and stuff)

3. What if my seats fold down?

There are those within these forums that are very knowledgeable on aspects of the law so I figured why not pic your brains. Thank you a bunch guys! (I apologize in advance if this discussion was not allowed)

2. talk to a licensed attorney in michigan, and not grasscity forums

• Like Like x 5
  3. You shouldn't even be allowed to own rifles. What could you possibly need that for?

• Like Like x 1
  4. No, no, no.....

The body goes in the boot, the rifle goes in the river.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Right? Especially if the rifle is black. God knows that a black rifle is capable of shooting "100000 round clips in 3 seconds, and has a shoulder thing that goes up"

OP,
    I'm guessing any case will do as long as the rifle is not readily accessible. So a soft case should be OK in your trunk area even if your trunk is not sealed off.

"Michigan law also provides that a person may carry, transport or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in both the barrel and magazine, and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle."

• Like Like x 3
  6. You know that's probably the best idea. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Thank you a bunch.

8. Stop. I know this is just supposed to be like a joke, but just stop. Why the fuck are we joking and persecuting good people who own guns? Soon, my Infidel friend, only criminals will have guns. How good does that look? Best of luck and wishes, OP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shooting big nasty squirrels that act too hood for their own good.

• Like Like x 3
  10. As long as its not loaded and your ammo and rifle are not together your fine, some folks have rifle racks in their pick up window. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. See I notice that all over my town, haha. However I think I'll just carry my shotgun. Easier to load in a hurry if I just leave the for end back and a box of shells in the glove box. Then I could justify it being a defensive weapon as it could be used in a hurry. Pop trunk. Pull shotgun out of sleeve. Put in a slug. Rack the for end the rest of the way. Done. BOOM!

With my AR it'd be Pop trunk, grab bullets, load magazine, pull ar out of sleeve, put clip in, chamber round. No boom, because I'd already be screwed by the time I put the magazine in.

Now I guess what I'm just wondering is what is legally defined as a "Case" in michigan. Might consult my attorney. Glad I know old jewish men that think I'm funny. haha. Free legal aid. haha.

12. It's a fucking shame that this even had to be asked about. I used to live under the oppression of Illinois and that was even worse.
    Now, living in Colorado, we can carry anything, almost anywhere, fully loaded mag with one in the chamber and it's legal. Locked and loaded AR in your passenger seat and locked and loaded pistol in a drop leg holster on your belt? No problem.
    I saw a black guy who "fit the description" walking down a main road with a tactical 12ga on a sling full of shells over his back and no one seemed to give a damn. It's great.

The core principal of freedom is the only notion to obey - Dimmu Borgir

• Like Like x 3
  13. I agree. I find it funny I can't purchase a handgun from a ffl dealer here because when I was 15 I yelled that I wished everyone in this town would die while the police brought me home from being out past curfew. 15 YEARS OLD!!! 8 YEARS AGO! Like really?! I'm almost 23!!! (rough night for a kid and they take my guns away?) but you know I can just go buy an ak-47 up the road from a buddy p2p sale and slap a 100 round drum on it and carry it through a Walmart on my back totally legal......but yeah, wouldn't want me to have a small caliber round handgun with significantly less ammunition in it.... Might hurt someone due to prior teenage angst. Fuc& me in my a$$!

14. open carry is legal here. transporting they have some laws, concealed carry you need a permit

15. Oh I know. Just think it's funny they won't sell me a pistol just yet (fighting in court) over words said as a child but I can go buy a very threatening looking rifle and toat it around publicly. Makes no sense to me. EDIT: Totally just assumed that you were referring to Michigan, haha . But yeah, we have open carry too. It's not defined that you can or can't in the law here, therefore absence of law cannot be inforced.

16. Michigan, yes that's where I am

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hell yeah brother! A glorious state, natural beauty in abundance (pretend Detroit doesn't exist), progressing legal system, fully complimented by the outrageous car insurance policies.

Wait.... Okay, well I guess we just have natural beauty. Lol