Ridiculous Mutant Stems

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mangohabanero, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Hey all,

I just signed up to post these because they are a totally anomally from what I have tried to find on my own. This is a friend's grow. He has plants going from indoor to outdoor in FF cocoloco and being fed FF trio nutes daily at >700 PPM. When Indoors experimented with side lighting but was too close to the plant and he suffered serious light burn on the bottom of the plants. They were gettting burned beyond repair for a week while he was away on vacation. About 3 weeks into flower. The rest of these plants look absolutely amazing and where they need to be so he's pretty confused.

Curious if anyone has seen these kinds of mutations and can let me know if it is a problem other then the light burn it suffered from.

Blue Dream mutation on stem
    20180819_151701.jpg 20180819_151644.jpg
    Super Lemon Haze weird growth, stem almost doubled in thickness during light burn
    20180819_151604.jpg 20180819_151625.jpg

2. #2 old shol4evr, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Looks to me that it got so hot the liquid inside was getting steamed and the sucka ruptured to release the pressure - "Cut me Mick!"

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4. #4 old shol4evr, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    delete

5. Seeing as in its happening on 2 different strains it's safe to say that it is not a mutation.. it has to be from something you or a bug did.. doesn't even look like it was damaged and healed l.. just looks like cancer. Not that I know what cancer looks like but I would guess it looks like that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I believe you nailed it. The ladies had an unfortunate week of 100+ degree weather but it has cooled down and they are very healthy. Plus this gave the opportunity to lollipop although its roughly 3 weeks into flower.

Thanks for the advice and hilarious responses lol!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hey GC forums,

Had another hot day and I see more of these horrid growths. Google research points to a bacterium infection called Crown Gall. Essentially plant cancer (!)

The weird ass thing is I simply cannot find a case of it with marijuana. However, it's a disease among fruiting plants, and forms in high heat...seems to add up.

Going to chop all affected areas, does anyone know of any good way to clean the plant at the root zone of bacterias?

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Yeah, the plants are in a shed. The bacteria forms in high heat.

My actual question is what I can do to clean up the root zone that is infected with this bacteria. Approx week 4 of flower. Qny tips?

9. I would first and foremost verify that it is in fact a bacterial infection.
    Treatment for one culprit will not necessarily affect another.
    Most bacterial treatments will kill beneficial bacteria as well.
    Fungal spores and insects get everywhere. Just because your plants are in a shed does not necessarily keep them immune to outside influence.
    To answer your question, hydrogen peroxide will kill bacteria in soil.
    Mix it with water and do a soil drench.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for your advice...I should be more clear about the situation so you can confirm that's a good call. The shed is not ideal, I am absolutely sure bugs get into the shed, and therefore into the plants. They're in 5gal buckets, so how much mixture would of HP and water should I be giving each plant? Also curious if that would have any negative effect on the product in the end?

Also, the plant is in coco, not soil, but let me know if that makes a difference.