Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Rick Simpson Oil Vs Natural Cannabis Oil

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by gnarkill283, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Trying to start a new thread here in hopes that people with experience in making rick simpson oil and other oils check out this study http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2013_01_1.pdf and then share their thoughts on it.

According to the study, RSO extracts more thc but less terpenes than other solvents. It also mentions that using naphtha can be harmful.

If making medicinal oil for curing cancer is so much easier using a natural oil like coconut oil and potentially achieves similar thc content to naphtha as well as extracts terpenes that naphtha doesn't, why not just make coconut cannabis oil?   

2. Thanks for posting this, would love to hear insight from the resident chefs. Maybe you keep your fingers crossed and BadKittySmiles will lend her insight.

I've wondered about this for quite awhile... because the RSO process seems rather crude. But it has also helped many people. Perhaps because the cannabinoid potency is able to be increasingly concentrated, to levels that give results even if the terpenoids are lost in the process. I work in the health field and my company made its niche by creating the first alcohol-free, liquid organic line of vitamins/minerals/herbs. This was 40 years ago when all the companies were using alcohol in their extractions. It extracts, sure... but alcohol will also destroy many biological enzymes and other constituents in the process. So if you are taking an herbal extract for instance, if its made with alcohol then the bioavailability is reduced and with it, the product's effectiveness.

That's what led me to wonder if there isn't a way to do it better. IMO that's probably why you do, in fact see many people using coconut oil rather than alcohols etc etc.

Also, here's something to consider:
    http://www.weedist.com/2012/07/tailoring-high-compounds-in-cannabis-properties-boiling-points/

According to their chart, the terpenoid limonene has a 30-40 degree higher vapor point than THC. Meaning you'd extract THC first then eventually hit the limonene vpoint. So in that case, you would not lose out temperature-wise. If you see the chart it's similar for others as well.

So according to the study then, it's not the temperature but the solvent itself (naptha) that is inferior?

Interesting...

For what it's worth I would use coconut oil over olive oil in this application. Extra virgin coconut oil will maintain integrity up to 350 degrees typically before the fats oxidize in the heating process. The upper limit for olive oil is much less and IMO is not wise to cook with (event hough it's delicious!).