Rice Resonance

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by jUmphrey, Mar 19, 2008.

1. So the guys put a speaker underneath a thin sheet of metal. They pour dry rice on the metal and start playing different frequencies. The rice moves in the craziest synchronized patterns! I'm not sure if it is known why this occurs, but it is some cool stuff nonetheless.
    heres the video...
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nO0bSSXmr1A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nO0bSSXmr1A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Its harmonics. Basically in this particualar case, "harmonics" are formed on sheet of metal, where the at that particuar point, the sheet does not move ( a node). So the salt will gather there instead of the vibrating sheet elsewhere. The pattern depends on density, dimensions and frequency.

This is actually a good illustration of the fundamentals of quantum mechanics.

3. im so gonna do that

4. Do it require much more than a sheet of metal and a subwoofer? :D

What pattern will Pink Floyds "Another brick in the wall pt.2" induce I wonder? :D

5. I believe it was done on Britney Spears' music, and no harmonics were founds!:D

6. lol :)

7. Notice the propensity toward a pattern, symmetry. . .never chaos.
    Is our existance propelled in the same fashion? Perhaps. Our eyes are always attracted to symmetry and shapes/patterns.
    If there were any moments of disorder or chaos, they were but for a very short while, at the segue points, or intervals.
    Interesting.

8. good inference from the video, i agree to a certain degree.

i don't agree with the part of our visual perception being related to it, but more so our psychology being attracted to order, and arrangement (along those lines).
    i guess you could put it as stability.

9. i dont think rice on a sheet of metal is comparable or relevant to entropy in any way.

10. "All matter is simply energy condensed into a slow vibration."

Vibrations cause sound. Open your ears to the symphony of everything! ;)

11. i cant.

i drink beer and watch tv.:(