Rhamnolipids

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Benshinsky420, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Hello everyone, first post, long time lurker. I wanted to discuss something i haven't seen brought up here. Rhamnolipids are a group of biologically produced surfactants meant to break the surface tension of water. They have a broad range of use for our purposes. Here are some studies showing their efficacy.
    https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf104027x insecticide
    Rhamnolipids From Pseudomonas aeruginosa Are Elicitors Triggering Brassica napus Protection Against Botrytis cinerea Without Physiological Disorders fungicide/immune booster
    Foliar penetration enhanced by biosurfactant rhamnolipid. - PubMed - NCBI adjuvant
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0927776513007728 soil remediation
    Effects of Rhamnolipid and Microbial Inoculants on the Vermicomposting of Green Waste with Eisenia fetida worm bin booster
    I've recently aquired some and will be testing it out, mainly as a foliar penetrant to aid in plant based(aloe,kelp,coconut water) strengtheners, and possibly as a soil wetting agent for that damn dried out peat moss. Please chime in if you have any first hand experience!

• Like Like x 3
  2. What would be the difference between Rhamnolipids and other types of saponins found in aloe or soap nuts Etc. ?

Oh and welcome to GCO!:wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Coconut water in your foliar is a no go IMO, kelp, aloe, silica, LAB and neem are what I've used for foliars. Coconut water I use to feed my soil.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Thank you for the warm welcome. From what I gather rhamnolipids and saponins are two sides of the same coin. One side plant derived, the other microbial. They share many of the same characteristics and functions. However, I believe the main differences to look at are why these compounds are produced. IMO, saponins are produced for plant defence purposes(anti-herbivore, anti-pathogen,) and stress alleviation. Rhamnolipids are produced for the uptake of hydrophobic compounds and to wage microbial war by anti-biotic action, allowing bio-film formation, and mobility.
    For our purposes, they really should be used in conjuction with each other. They both work well to combat root rot problems, cited here- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07060660609507319 and they complement each other with their different foaming abilities- (PDF) Synergistic Effect of Saponin and Rhamnolipid Biosurfactants Systems on Foam Behavior

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Why not coconut water as a foliar? My logic was that since coconut water is a great source of balanced nutrients in soluble form and rhamnolipds promotes ions to permeate cell membranes the two would go hand in hand.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Interesting!
    Root rot is a very common issue especially with newer growers which often tend to overwater.
    Are rhamnolipids what cause compost tea to foam?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I use the coconut water as a soil drench because it's really good for the soil, but I'm always ready to learn something new where did you source your Rhamnolipids

• Like Like x 1
  8. I read that the cost of production is still high preventing it from being the leader in industrial surfactants. Although this may change if biodiesel production increases as it is mainly produced with glycerol, a byproduct of this industry. What peaks my interest are claims that it inhibits downy and powdery mildew.

Would you mind posting where you acquired rhamnolipids from? I also wonder if there is a way your average person could culture it at home?
    RD

9. Compost tea?
    Edit: On second thought the article said it was made from very specific strains of bacteria/fungi so a regular ol compost tea probably wont get you the results.

10. www.agaetech.com

11. Is this a byproduct of the oil industry?

• Like Like x 1
  12. The website says it's produced by microbial fermentation, what are they fermenting and how are they fermenting it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. For the price they want...I'll stick with my soap nuts.

• Agree Agree x 1