Reverse Osmosis

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Jetfan, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Hello and gdmorning.

I was wanting the opinion of a few of the more advanced growers who have used both plain tap water (150 PPM and tastes fine) and also used filtered water. My plants look great useing tap water and Im of the opinion that if it aint broke dont fix it but what will I see with zero PPM water other then Cal decencies as with Reverse Osmosis water? I have a good 5 stage osmosis unit from my saltwater reef tank days so I already have it.

Thanks for the read and your time.

On the roof!
    Jetfan

2. I recently went to a RO system myself. I was having issues with build up during my last grow. My ppm is 450+ and it was starting to cause a lockout situation. Your ppm doesn't sound too bad, not sure I would even use the RO... More expensive on the water bill and waste too. If it ain't broke don't fix it (you said it yourself).

3. I wouldn't expect you to see deficiencies from filtering your water, your ferts should be providing what the plant needs.

4. I think I would need calmag because I use only subcools supersoil organic style. His recipe does say that if I use filtered water that I need calmag added to the soil..I will just stick with what I have been doing.

5. i wouldnt mind an RO filter for myself..

Its a pain in the ass leaving out tap water.
    luckily i have fairly soft water (65ppm) so its not the end of the world using it straight from tap.